Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:22:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 606
Total: 606

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Where do you download your music from?  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Snowangel

Where do you download your music from?
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:14:14 pm »
My son got a new phone that you can download music to.

What is the best trusted website to buy songs from?

We were trying to create an account with Napster but it kept telling us the screenname's we came up with were already taken and then when we tried what they suggested, they were taken as well?

I have never downloaded music before so I have no idea?  It is a T-mobile phone, if that matters.

Thanks,
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Where do you download your music from?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 04:22:31 pm »
I like Amazon.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:43:51 pm »
I am not sure anymore. I use to use Limewire but they have that shut down now. And I usually use my Ipod to listen to music so I get my music from Itunes. I never understood why people put music on their phones...Doesn't that just drain the battery faster?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:04:55 pm »
I don't really download much newer music anymore. Several years ago, I converted all of my CDs to ITunes to put on an IPod. Then, last year, I converted the ITunes library to Windows format and transferred it to my T-Mobile phone. There's plenty of music to listen to so I don't really need to load anymore. Plus, I much prefer my 70s & 80s to most of the current stuff... ;) If you have a Windows music library and are interested in a utility to manage it, message me and I can send you a pretty nifty app I wrote.

I am not sure anymore. I use to use Limewire but they have that shut down now. And I usually use my Ipod to listen to music so I get my music from Itunes. I never understood why people put music on their phones...Doesn't that just drain the battery faster?

I use mine at work a lot. Keep the phone plugged into the laptop and it doesn't use any battery power.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:27:30 pm »
Snow, from what I recall T-mobile phones allow you to simply transfer the mp3 files from your PC or Mac without any issue; you should be able to buy music from a legal source such as iTunes or Amazon and just transfer them via USB (or you could buy them at a much lower price from one of the reliable Russian websites --I won't link any of them here, but PM me if you want names).  I'm surprised that Napster is giving you a hard time; I buy stuff from them every now and then (and iTunes every week).  It may be their latest release, which is not very friendly with certain browsers.

I am not sure anymore. I use to use Limewire but they have that shut down now.

Michelle, you can still use Limewire as long as you have a version prior to 5.5.11... The way things are going however we probably won't see much of them (or Demonoid, or any other good source) in the near future.

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 02:04:06 am »
I usually buy from I-Tunes and "sample" some from LimeWire.  I went to Limewire and there was a message that popped up saying a court had ruled it was illegal or something like that.  You could click "OK" and search for music.  While it allowed me to search, I'm not sure if I could download as I didn't find anything to download.  I should try to download something to see, but now I'm ascared..lol.   

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:17:40 am »
I thought Amazon only sold books. 

LOL, How would I know if I have windows music library?

I like the 70's and 80's too.  I miss the old school rap.

I know how to upload a CD to my PC and then put that on the phone, I just don't know how to get the individual songs and not have to go to court like that Mom that was on TV the other day with a million dollars worth of downloads.

I don't have to worry about it for a bit.  They took his phone away from him this morning at school as he was walking in the building and putting it in his pocket? I 'm not going to be able to pick it up until Wed.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline littleprince

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 02:08:16 am »
Bit torrents

download Vuze from www.vuze.com and install

search for music (and movies, books, games, software... anything) on a torrent search site like:

http://isohunt.com/
http://www.kickasstorrents.com/
... there are thousands

find what you want and click the 'download torrent' link. the file will download (slowly) in vuze.

done.

for music i find it easier to just download the entire album.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 05:18:12 am »
I know I've downloaded songs from limewire before, and burned CD's, but when I was done, I uninstalled it, so I wouldn't pick up a virus.  A friend of mine also told me the torrent sites can transmit viruses easily to pc's.  I mean, I don't know, because I'm pretty technologically challenged.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 11:46:33 am »
Mac is safe. Virus ain't got no juice when it hits me some Snow Leopard. Meow! LOL ! :D

I hardly listen to any new music given how they all sound these days unless really spectacular. Mostly just let iTunes play with broadband radio or just my car radio.  ;)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:58:22 am »
I don't download music at all, I own over 3,000 CD's and 4,000 Vinyl Records in mint condition (use to work in a AM/FM Radio Station) when I was in my 20s, I have music that's not even offered on any download service  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:01:28 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 01:48:09 am »
I know I've downloaded songs from limewire before, and burned CD's, but when I was done, I uninstalled it, so I wouldn't pick up a virus.  A friend of mine also told me the torrent sites can transmit viruses easily to pc's.  I mean, I don't know, because I'm pretty technologically challenged.

With Limewire and viruses, I always made sure the song was really a song.  I would highlight the song first.  If it didn't pop up the name of the song and the length of the song, I assumed it was a virus.  Or, if it returned the exact way I searched for the song--even with misspellings, then I avoided it.  I would also preview the song first.

Now, I have no idea whether any of this actually worked.  The only time I had something bad happen from limewire was when a friend downloaded songs from there and burned a CD for me.  When I put it in my computer to upload to I-Tunes, it totally erased my entire I-Tunes library.  I actually had to buy a book to instruct me how to transfer songs from my I-Pod back into my library.  It was soooo complicated and time-consuming.  I-Tunes and I-Pod aren't all that user friendly.   

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 01:51:41 am »
Oh, one thing that did concern me with limewire was seeing a news story about how people could access everything on your computer via limewire.  They featured a couple who's tax returns were stolen and then the criminals used their SSN's.  They showed how easy it was by accessing other's files via limewire.  This prompted limewire to come out with a new version where they claimed that was impossible now.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 01:04:57 pm »
Michelle, you can still use Limewire as long as you have a version prior to 5.5.11... The way things are going however we probably won't see much of them (or Demonoid, or any other good source) in the near future.

I don't have that version which sucks cuz I was trying to download some Weezy baby!!!

Ted-- I never had problems with viruses from Limewire cause my anti virus would scan the file first.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 01:45:51 am »
I use Rhapsody "To Go" which lets you download to up to three portable devices plus your PC.  It uses DRM so you have to hook up every 30 days or the licenses expire.  Costs $12/month.  I have my old giant JBL's hooked up to my computer with a noise suppressor, and music sounds pretty good.  Don't have to download, but can stream right off the site.  I have about 250 complete cds on my mp3 player (Creative Labs Vision) plus top of the line Shure earphones.  Good earphones make a huge difference. 
If you like a lot of music and like to have access to less well known titles, this type of service is worthwhile.  Sometimes they hold back on a cd when it's initially released, but that's pretty rare.  You can always just buy the music as well from Rhapsody and then you can burn it to CD or do whatever else you want with it.  Otherwise, the DRM restricts you.  I am still patiently waiting for them to make the latest !!! cd available.  Right now it's only posted for sale.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:08 pm »
I use Rhapsody "To Go" which lets you download to up to three portable devices plus your PC.  It uses DRM so you have to hook up every 30 days or the licenses expire.  Costs $12/month.  I have my old giant JBL's hooked up to my computer with a noise suppressor, and music sounds pretty good.  Don't have to download, but can stream right off the site.  I have about 250 complete cds on my mp3 player (Creative Labs Vision) plus top of the line Shure earphones.  Good earphones make a huge difference. 
If you like a lot of music and like to have access to less well known titles, this type of service is worthwhile.  Sometimes they hold back on a cd when it's initially released, but that's pretty rare.  You can always just buy the music as well from Rhapsody and then you can burn it to CD or do whatever else you want with it.  Otherwise, the DRM restricts you.  I am still patiently waiting for them to make the latest !!! cd available.  Right now it's only posted for sale.

Rhapsody To Go keeps saying they are going to have download for Android devices soon but have not produced it yet. Streaming doesn't work well on my phone.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.