Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:19:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 284
Total: 284

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please assess my risk  (Read 11068 times)

Offline pozHopeforHelp

Please assess my risk
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:54:39 am »
Hi All,

I'm 29 years old, male.

I had been to Thailand and had a erotic massage. First time has extramarital sexual event.
The masseur and me are nude and she was rubbing my whole body with soapy warm water and her vagina, I had a wound about 0.5 cm x 0.5 cm which was bleeding 3 hours before.
She also performed protected oral sex about 20 seconds. I fingered her but I wasn't inserted my finger and rubbing outside the vagina. my finger was contacted with vagina fluid. the process for fingering only about 10 seconds. I went back to hotel I had found that my finger had a abrasion which is swelling and reddish but I have not idea it was bleeding or not. Yet, I did not know why I had it.

My symptom as below.

1) Diarrhoea, Body tingling and numbness, mild sore throat, hives(itchy and painful) on my neck after 2 weeks of exposure and
but it was not come together. The first 2 days was Diarrhoea, stomach cramp.
2) 32 days after I had 2 - 3 bumps and 34 I had found a lump at my groin area (1cm x 1cm).
3) 42 days the Diarrhoea,Hives, digestive problem and sore throat had recurred. Today 50 days, I only left soft stools problem.

Here I've few question.

1) I know that my exposure could be risk-free because no documented cases for my exposures. However, I saw some threat that the infect poz person did have very negligible risk exposure and eventually tested HIV.
2) Is any documented case that symptoms can be recurred. I suspect the oyster might be the culprit of my symptoms because I had taken it before the symptoms came.
3) Is it possible the weakness of the immune system cause by ARS has open the door for Oyster bacteria to attack my body?
4) I'm not the sexual active person. I only have unprotected sex with my wife before. After the exposure I did not have any unprotected sex with my wife. Should I go for test? Should I have unprotected sex with my wife?

Thank in advance. Very scared and worried right now.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Please assess my risk
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:38:24 pm »
Under no circumstances do the behavior you described put you at risk for HIV.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 02:10:05 pm »
The ONLY confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. If you consistently use condoms for those activities you will be well protected.

Yes, it really is just that simple.
Andy Velez

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 02:05:19 am »
very thanks for reply  :)

I had gone through many posts at Aidsmed forum. I found that some of the forumers had claimed to test positive with very low risk exposure like oral sex. That’s the reason I was frightened and scared.
I know the HIV symptoms are non-specific. I just curious how and why sero- conversion.
Is it immune system has been weakening by HIV viruses? Thus, the immune system door is open for all bacteria to attack your body? So the symptoms could be recurred in sero conversion?
Besides that, I have a question why breast milk can transmit HIV virus but oral sex same as exchange fluids do not post risk for HIV infection?
Thanks, just for my knowledge.

Thank you very much :-)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:39:46 am »
Hope,

Patient report is notoriously unreliable. Some people forget what they did while under the influence of drink and/or drugs and some people cannot bring themselves to admit to something like anal intercourse, particularly if they've been the receptive partner.

There have been three long-term studies of couples where one partner was positive and one was negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but NO barriers for oral sex, not one of the negative partners became positive. Not one.

Breast milk is only a threat to tiny babies who rely solely on breast milk for sustenance. It is not a risk for an adult to ingest breast milk.

The illness that sometimes (not always) accompanies seroconversion is not a result of the virus itself nor is it due to a weakened immune system allowing bacteria or other viruses to take hold.

Seroconversion illness is a result of the process the body goes through while producing antibodies. That's why it's called seroconversion illness. One of the chemicals the body produces during this process is called interferon, and interferon is notorious for causing flu-like symptoms.

You need to relax and put this behind you. You aren't the first man to enjoy a Thai massage while on holiday and you won't be the last, so put the guilt aside.

You have NOT had a risk for hiv infection. You do not need to test for hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:21:56 am »
Thanks Ann,

You are one of the women I most respect in the world. I read some of your post with your stories.
That is so encouraging and informative. Thanks your contribution to all the peoples who are anxiety and worried.

In fact, I was put aside all my worried 2 weeks back because I had 2 reassurances from doctor at medhelp. They were MD HHH and Doctor Garcies. They had ruled out all my possibilities to HIV and others STDs.
I was gotten easier after seeing their comments. Yet, the recurring of my symptoms made me started feeling scared again. I never had these symptoms before especially the hives or rashes on my neck. They were stayed around my neck and near the upper arm for 5 weeks ++. Besides that, I really no idea somehow I had hangnails around my nail. It was reddish and swelling. These 2 incidents are scared me.

I had a close friend who caught the HIV virus when he was 19 years old. He told me he infected by barber via shaving. I really don’t believe about this. Nevertheless, he was just 19 for Asian guy the sexual events are more conservative. We are very close and never heard he has girlfriend before that. 10 years after why he got HIV still a doubt.

I hope I can really put aside everything and go for the testing after 13 weeks. I really hope it will be negative. Thank you so much.
Sorry for my bad English.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 07:09:19 am »
Hope,

You should see your doctor about the rashes. They're nothing to do with hiv.

Fingering, even with cuts, scratches, hangnails or whatever, is not a risk for hiv infection. I had an hiv negative partner for over eight years. He was in the building trade, so he often had cuts and scratches on his hands and fingers. He remained hiv negative despite our full sex life. The only thing we did to protect his negative status was to use condoms for intercourse. He is hiv negative to this day.

If you do test, it will be purely for your peace of mind. You did not have a risk for hiv infection.

By the way, there is NO WAY your friend was infected at the barber's, unless he was having unprotected anal intercourse with the barber and the barber was hiv positive. He's either forgotten something he did sexually, or he's embarrassed and doesn't want to admit it to himself, never-mind you. There are some things people cannot bring themselves to admit to, even to their best friend.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:02:32 am »
Ann,

I do agree with your view to my friend's case.
If the barber was the culprit then all the barber shop in the world must be closed down.
Anyway, we are still close and I never biased him. We always support him.

Thanks Ann, hope you can give the talk to educate the people around the world about HIV and share your stories. Asia country still lack of this kind of education.

Thanks again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:39:08 am »
Well until there is better HIV education worldwide, YOU can be a person who lets people know that the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as condoms are used everytime you'll have very effective protection.

HIV is a fragile virus and is not passed on food, kisses, touching, rubbing, masturbation, utensils or other environmental surfaces. If you want the world to be better educated you can be a part of that change.
Andy Velez

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:09:26 am »
Thanks Andy  :) :)

I have started to educate some of friends verbally and through some chinese forums but different culture between western and Asian. Asian is more conservative.
I'm from Malaysia but currently stay at Singapore. The Singapore STD clinic is written skin to skin contact has a possible risk.haha ~~~ how well they are educated? professional?

Depending on your sexual exposure and time from exposure, different HIV screening tests may be required or recommended. Sexual exposure refers to any type of sexual contact e.g. oral, vaginal or anal intercourse with a high risk contact such as a commercial sex worker or people with risky sexual behaviour. Use of barrier protection methods such as condoms greatly reduces your risk but it is not 100%. There is always a risk whenever there is skin or mucosal contact with HIV-contaminated genital fluids or blood.

http://www.sgstdclinic.com/sg-hiv-screening

I do remember I read a news in my country. A HIV person dead on the street. Some of the villagers put omelette on his eyes. They claimed this can prevent virus to be spread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:45:05 am »
Nothing is 100% except your own hand. But properly worn condoms have proven to be a very effective barrier to transmission.
Andy Velez

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 09:05:42 am »
noted and thanks Andy :-)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 08:02:31 pm »
OK. Good luck to you.
Andy Velez

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 10:44:34 am »
I would not wait for 13 weeks for test. I would go tmmr morning.
After I listened to so many experts and doctors advices. All of them told that I do not
Require a test. However, to get rid of my obsesses I would go tomorrow for either oralquick
Or fingertick for my 54 days exposure. I m sure I would throw  away everything behind related to HIV.
I also will not visit any sex services. That was my first time and also my last time.
No point to have 30 minutes happy but have 2 months anxiety after.
Worthless.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »
OK. And of course I expect that you will test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 08:53:43 pm »
Oraquick after 8 weeks exposure came back negative.
Yahooooooo !!! Thanks everyone for answering my risk.
Thanks life is good and I feel very hungry now. Good luck everyone .

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 09:27:42 pm »
Hope you enjoyed that meal. And make sure that you use condoms everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse. No excpetions. That's the way to stay HIV negative.
Andy Velez

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 10:03:25 pm »
Of course, is good that you could join the meal with me. Haha.
Best lesson to me haha remain monogonous will rule out 99.99999%
Possibilities to be infected. I was very guilty and nervous in my sex exposure.
I wasn't enjoy haha. Thank you. Hope everyone can keep up with safe sex.
Responsible to your family and the one you love. I hope there is a medication can cure
For HIV patient in near future.
Is there any fund I can donate some for medication research and patient care.

Thanks everyone. :-)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 09:01:23 am »
Contact any AIDS service organization in your area and find out what kind of support they need.
Andy Velez

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 10:15:46 am »
Malaysia government has fully subsidized for HIV patient medication as long as they take the medication from government hospital. Besides that, from 1986 - 2010 new infected cases in Malaysia only 96000 cases.
So HIV is not the 1st ranking disease in Malaysia not much activities are carried out. What I wanted to do is to donate some money for HIV cure research. Likewise, i can also help my friend who were infected 10 years back to have some hope because he is still very young.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 11:03:18 am »
The Treatment Action Group (TAG) is also doing worthwhile work. You can find them on the web. AmFar (American Foundation for AIDS Research) is also doing research.
Andy Velez

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 08:11:07 pm »
Ok noted and thank you very much. Take care !!

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 04:01:37 am »
Very sorry to bring up the post again.
Please forgive me because the exposure was the first time in my life.
I know that I have gotten many advices from all the expert.
I just worried that I would be the 1st one who hits by meteor.
I have had a negative with oraquick test.
Just a simple question

I had some food before the oraquick test that was about 8 minutes before the test.
The doctor swab my oral and I saw my cheeks and gum is black. It could be due to the food I had before the test.

My question is the mixed with food to the test would affect the result?

Thanks and very sorry again.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 04:28:28 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline pozHopeforHelp

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 08:51:09 am »
Sorry RapidRod,

We are at the different position.
I'm going to hold a custom wedding dinner next year, buy a new car and renovate my new house.
I'm under so many stress and commitment that's the reason I'm obsessive.  I worried that if I infected with HIV I should not have going through my commitment.

I respect you as you have contributed so much to medhelp and aidsmed forum.
Since you've warned me I had better stand aside and stop questioning.

Thanks everyone :-)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 08:53:22 am »
No, eating a meal would not affect your test result.

You really have no reason to be returning again and again to this site. If you continue to do so I am going to give you an overdue 28 day Time Out. Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.