Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:55:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 225
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bodybuilding competition  (Read 30595 times)

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
Re: Bodybuilding competition
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2007, 03:12:27 am »
Whooaa! Congrats to your fantastic result!!! That's an achievement you can be very proud of!
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2007, 10:31:01 am »
super results... high praise to you for doing it and being committed enough to follow through all the way... great showing.....and you do look better than the winner.... overall a more even appearance  he looks a little too skin/bones...

whats next????

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline mjmel

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2007, 12:20:41 pm »
Congrats on 2nd place. You look great and I'm so glad to hear you didn't get the shakes. Hope is was all fun and rewarding as you had hoped.
Love them muscles!
xxx,
Mike   

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2007, 08:56:29 pm »
Ford,

Congrats on the second place. Not bad at all !!

Ray 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2007, 03:16:59 am »
Woohoo!

Great job Ford!

I'll have to say, while it's wonderful that you placed so highly, it's really gratifying to read about your overcoming those obstacles in your path.

A very well-deserved congrats.

John

Offline GoodMatchHawaiiRetreat

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2007, 08:30:58 am »
Congratulations Ford!   You look great!   
Are you ready for video work?

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2007, 09:27:13 am »
Thanks everyone! I've been so focused on this competition I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I definitely am not going to do another bodybuilding competition any time soon. My partner, while very proud of me, doesn't find bodybuilders attractive and hopes I never do this again.

It was a real education learning about bodybuilding and I'll share a little behind the scenes story. Part of doing a competition is getting tanned and oiled. You have to get ridiculously tanned because dark skin displays muscle definition better and because when you go on stage the lights wash you out. Even black guys put bottle tan on. To prepare for this I had gone to a tanning bed for a couple of weeks, had a professional spray-on tan and applied two coats of a bottled tan for bodybuilders. My partner was out of town so my 80-year-old mom was painting me with bottle tan like she was refinishing furniture. I was one step away from looking like I was doing black face.

So backstage everyone is in sweats so they don't get fake tan everywhere, cause this stuff rubs off on everything. The manager of the show tells everyone not to put on more bottle tan because it won't have time to dry. Everyone has to be oiled in a special area by the approved "oilers", people who's job is to spray bodybuilders with Pam cooking spray and then rub it everywhere. When it is time to suit up this one guy takes off his sweats and he is white as a glass of milk! Then he goes over to the oil area and has a friend who is trying to rub on bottle tan. Thirty minutes later this guy is lined up on stage with 7 other guys for the prejudging and he starts sweating like a garden sprinkler. The tan didn't have time to dry and mixed with the oil and copious amounts of perspiration just starts running off his body in little brown streams. It looked like someone had taken a bucket of syrup and just thrown it at him. He was is a complete panic and in the middle of the judging starts calling to people back stage for a towel. No one gave him one, not because we are competitive bitches, but because we knew we would get into trouble for getting on stage in the middle of a judging. I was mortified for him. I don't think he showed up for the night show.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:29:59 am by GSOgymrat »

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2007, 02:53:31 pm »
Awesome, buddy. Grats! next step ... sell posing trunks on Ebay, of course. LOL.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2007, 08:10:45 pm »
Congratulations Champ !

[attachment deleted by admin]
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2007, 10:27:30 am »
As promised here are the professional photos from the competition: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36088371@N00/

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2007, 10:53:39 am »
omgosh,, that is really amazing,,,, nice body and congrad... did you say you were 5'8"? because in those pics, you look much taller

i am bulking up too, but i need to figure out how to loose fat to have more defined muscle tone, without not eating nor doing cardio forever...
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2007, 10:57:31 am »
I love your legs in IMG_0155  :P
Look at those abs in aec0117  :P :P

The boy in blue next to you is scrumptious!

Offline mjmel

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2007, 12:51:12 pm »
Are you going to grow your hair back, sweetie?
xxx,
Mike

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2007, 02:54:04 pm »
I'm keeping the shaved head for the time being. The rest is growing out and is suprisingly not itchy.

I'm at a loss as far as what to do as far as exercise now. I need a new goal.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2007, 05:28:20 pm »
Ford , the big new "high energy" exercise  routine here in Dallas is Salsa Dancing.....I know two folks who go almost every night....Maybe you and Partner can do this one together...

Nick

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2007, 05:54:20 pm »
Ford , the big new "high energy" exercise  routine here in Dallas is Salsa Dancing.....I know two folks who go almost every night....Maybe you and Partner can do this one together...

Nick

If you knew my partner you would realize why I burst out laughing when I read your post! The two of us dancing... together... in public! Salsa dancing!

That's hysterical!

I would ask him as a joke but I couldn't keep a straight face. I couldn't drag him to a gay bar... a gay anything... with a bulldozer.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2007, 08:39:40 pm »
If you knew my partner you would realize why I burst out laughing when I read your post! The two of us dancing... together... in public! Salsa dancing!

That's hysterical!

I would ask him as a joke but I couldn't keep a straight face. I couldn't drag him to a gay bar... a gay anything... with a bulldozer.

Well, Ford, you win Second place...congratulations! And I have to tell you, that you deserve it...though personally I think that 1st would have been more appropriate...but maybe I am just biased!

Congrats you!! I think you are fantastic!!!

Way to go!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2007, 09:45:49 pm »
Oops, sorry I'm late.....

Congratulations Ford!   YAY !
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline northernguy

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2007, 10:46:49 pm »
... Everyone has to be oiled in a special area by the approved "oilers", people who's job is to spray bodybuilders with Pam cooking spray and then rub it everywhere...

How do I apply for that job?!!!

Shame your BF doesn't appreciate those muscley charms of yours...
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline mjmel

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2007, 08:47:52 am »
I'm keeping the shaved head for the time being. The rest is growing out and is suprisingly not itchy.

I'm at a loss as far as what to do as far as exercise now. I need a new goal.

Hair looks good on you, IMO. 
Hey Ford, couldn't you just put on a little fat to smooth out that definition and then just mellow out for awhile? Are you thinking about staying in  competitions?
Just askin cuz I'm curious like that.
Mike

P.S. And I have to agree with others, ya shoulda got first place. I look at the first place winner and don't see chest (especially pecs) that I see in the other two contestants. So I'm wondering what is it about him that made him #1. Any insight?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 08:55:00 am by mjmel »

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2007, 03:49:17 pm »
P.S. And I have to agree with others, ya shoulda got first place. I look at the first place winner and don't see chest (especially pecs) that I see in the other two contestants. So I'm wondering what is it about him that made him #1. Any insight?

My best friend said "Honey, you've been robbed by midgets." That was after he pointed out "Oh my god, they showed up wearing the same thong- I'm so embarrassed for them." :D

Many friends have questioned why this guy got 1st place. I've compared photos of the two of us and seen video of the competition. Being as objective as I can I think I look better in still photos but he looks better in motion. I think he won because he is much better at posing and showing his physique. He looked professional, compact and well put together. My presentation looked amateurish. My individual parts might look better but his whole looked better than my parts, at least to the judges. In all honesty if I was judging I would have given the guy who got 3rd first place, myself second and the other guy third. The third place guy had us beat hands down on mass. He's at least 4 inches shorter than I am and probably weighs 20 lbs more. He has huge lats, good chest and big legs. He has the body type that can really put on muscle and he said he weighed 230 lbs last year-- I think it's physically impossible for me to weigh that much given my body type. He could have had better muscle definition though and I'm positive that is why he got 3rd.

Frankly, I'm happy to have placed at all. Both of those guys are personal trainers, had competed before and are not in their 40s. Oh yeah, and their bodies haven't had to deal with HIV and medication side effects for 14 years (I assume). To have started training in January, having never even seen a bodybuilding competition and to end up along side them made me feel great.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:55:24 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2007, 06:50:14 pm »
Absolutely right on... to compete for the very first time , against pro trainers, and get a top three award is a tremendous accomplishment....I hope you have your trophy in a place of honor....displayed so everyone can see it....maybe even at work...I am sure it will get many conversations started.....Enjoy the fruits of your hard work.

Nick

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.