Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:22:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 610
Total: 612

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mouth Problem  (Read 8213 times)

Offline tednlou2

Mouth Problem
« on: August 29, 2010, 02:25:25 am »
I'm wondering if anyone may recognize what this is.  Ever since infection, I would get those cracked corners of my mouth.  They come out from time to time and seem to be affected by stress.  I use to think they were cold sores, but learned cold sores look much worse.  I was told cracked corners are actually angular cheilitis, which is from candida albicans?? 

This time I got the cracked corners and then all this redness around my lips.  There seemed to be tiny little bumps that weeped fluid at first.  I've not had sex with anyone.  Just before this happened, I had eaten after a friend who does get around a bit.  I began wondering whether he gave me something and his immune system just kept it in check.  I went to the HIV doc--mainly because I had tons of family in town and they were all asking what was wrong.  The doc said it didn't look like herpes cold sores saying you would expect a big sore(s) around the mouth and thought probably fungal like with the angular cheilitis.  I was prescribed 2 pills of Diflucan and Litromin cream to use twice a day.  It has gotten a lot better, but there is still some redness there.  The HIV doc said this is probably due to all the dental work I've had lately--having my mouth open for long periods, the use of numbing agents, stress, and licking my lips.   

The HIV doc (who isn't my regular doc) said this was NOT any indication of my immune system weakening.  Still, I wonder.  My last percentage was 20%.  I just gave blood Friday for my regular bloodwork.  I suppose I'll see whether things have gotten worse.  I realize this isn't major, but I'm still curious whether any of you recognize it.  It is very embarrassing.  I finally got my smile looking great again and now I'm avoiding talking to people due to this.  Oh, my friend who I thought may have given me something and doesn't know my status, asked me whether I know my HIV status.  I know mouth issues are a big sign of immune health, but I also know many neg folks get these kinds of things. 

Below is the embarrassing pic.  It is actually on both sides, but you can't see the other side.  The white stuff is the cream.  The flash makes it look worse than it does in regular light.  I didn't even notice the bumps on my lips in normal light looking in the mirror.  As I said, it looks a lot better with the fungal treatment, so I guess it was fungal? 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Mouth Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:36:58 am »
Foot and mouth disease. You're going to die.

I get angular chelitis, but it never turns into that great big red ugly assed thing you've got spreading over your cock holster, Teddy.

I've also been told it's not a sign of major immune malfunction as mortals get it too.

MtD

Offline roy100

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:56:18 am »
After being on an antibiotic, the candida tends to return.
Yes, its chelitis.
The remedy is to take Diflucan, for 10 days.
I use fluconazole, which is the generic 100 mg. Thed dosage is 2 capsules the first day, and one after that.
The Dr told me I should recognize the syntoms and start treatment soon instead of having to use the Fluconazole for longer periods as it is bad for the liver. My Dr said Fluconazole is like magic it get rid of chelitis in 3 days if its just starting, 10 days if its chronic.

Bactrim and Fluconazole are use as preventive treatments for people with cd below 200.
You can have cd higher than that , but the candida will always come back until it is eradicated, or if you take antibiotics it can always come back.
Diagnosed 18Th March 2010
March 30Th VL +100,000 CD4 46
CD8T  575 CD8 %60.6
On Truvada and Kaletra. . Remeron 15mg  and150 mg  wellbutrin xl for depression. Clonazepan 2 mg to sleep. Omeprazole 20  once a day.
July 17 2010 Vl 362 CD4 155, 6.4 %
CD8T suppressors 1482 CD8% 61.1
 Nov 16 2010: V l 937 CD4 188,10%
CD8T Suppresors 997 CD8%55.8
August 15th 2011 Vl UD, less than 40.
CD4:543(26.7%) CD8:887 (43.6 %) Ratio .61
Jan 14th,2012 ,less than 40.
CD4:478 (24.4%) CD8: 962 (49.1%) Ratio.50
June 2012 CD4 599, CD8 856 UD
Oct 2013 CD 702, CD 843 UD Ratio:.87

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 11:14:44 am »
teddie, you need to be more careful with the Chanel Rouge Hydrabase.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 11:28:01 am »
yall lay off him , the boy has a purty mouth after I photo shopped it .  

I had that a few times myself and I cant remember the product my doctor perscribed . I had it in my nose to start with . The medicine was a jelly like substance , it worked really fast . Sorry I couldn't be of more help .
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:33:30 am by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 01:20:36 am »
After being on an antibiotic, the candida tends to return.
Yes, its chelitis.
The remedy is to take Diflucan, for 10 days.
I use fluconazole, which is the generic 100 mg. Thed dosage is 2 capsules the first day, and one after that.
The Dr told me I should recognize the syntoms and start treatment soon instead of having to use the Fluconazole for longer periods as it is bad for the liver. My Dr said Fluconazole is like magic it get rid of chelitis in 3 days if its just starting, 10 days if its chronic.

Bactrim and Fluconazole are use as preventive treatments for people with cd below 200.
You can have cd higher than that , but the candida will always come back until it is eradicated, or if you take antibiotics it can always come back.

Thanks for the info.  The doc only gave me 2 Diflucan pills to take at once.  She didn't prescribe any more than that.  About the liver issues, do you know how bad it is?  I remember reading the info on it when I got the prescription and it said to use caution when taking just about every pill on the market.  I asked the pharmacist about that and he said I would only need to worry about long-term usage and felt it was safe even then.  You can talk to another pharmacist and get a whole different opinion. 

As I said, this has never happened before except for the cracked corners now and then.  And, it had been a long time since I had those.  I hope it was all due to the dental work and nothing that will keep happening.  That pic was taken the day I went to the doc and when I started treatment.  It looks much better.  I'm still using the cream until the remaining redness is gone.  I'm trying to keep this all in perspective.  I have so many neg friends on facebook who are constantly sick with one thing or another.  And, my neg brother just had a huge aphthous ulcer on his tongue.  If that happened to me, I'm sure I would blame it on HIV.  So, I know these things happen.  Still, when I look back before diagnosis, I rarely got a cold not to mention strange mouth fungal outbreaks.  But, I am getting older and now I'm rambling. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 01:50:33 am »
Actually Difflucan doesn't present any real liver issues as far as I'm aware. A related drug called ketaconazole can be hepatotoxic when used for extended periods but fluconazole should be fine.

Also an ointment containing hydrocortisone should reduce the redness and itching. Hydrozole (which contains hydrocortisone and clotrimazole) might just do the trick.

Fluconazole can be expensive shit which might explain why your doctor gave you so little. She be miserin' you boy.

MtD

Offline littleprince

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 03:38:45 am »
I don't think a few days of difflucan will cause any problems. I've been on 200mg a day for the last few months and will be it for the foreseeable future  :( .

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 03:51:42 am »
"Back in the day," I took Diflucan for preventative for a few years, and never had any problems liver wise.

I get "cracks" in the corners of my mouth sometimes.  My aunt told me she gets the same thing, and her doctor told her to use an anti-fungal cream.  So, I tried it and it works magic.  I don't know if this is the same problem you're having, Tedders, so obviously I'm not telling you to do this.  Just sayin' it worked for me.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 07:52:22 am »
Yeah, I've taken plenty of diflucan (thrush) never with any issue.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:16:07 am »
Ted

I also took Diflucan for about two weeks back in 2003, with no problems. I believe there was one more time I took it, when I had some problems in the mouth. That was only for a week or two also.  The only mention of Diflucan , along with liver problems was the warning about taking it IF you had liver disease. See below:

If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take Diflucan

liver disease;

kidney disease;

a heart rhythm disorder; or

a personal or family history of "Long QT syndrome.

Good luck, hope it does the job for you.  It worked very well for me.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:30 am »

I was looking back at some of my old prescriptions, and found the one for Diflucan.

I received the prescription on 9/13/03 and it was the 100mg dose. I took two tablets on the first day, followed by one tablet for ten days.  This is when I had the esophageal thrush. There was no refill on this, and this dose knocked it out of me.

The cost back then was $110.00 for 12 tablets.   My co-pay back then was 15.00

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Kendoll

• Love is a gift, never owed...
    • Adventures In Gay Dating
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 08:57:44 am »
I had that back in 2000 and it was awful. I feel for you. It took a while for mine to clean up. I still have a scar in each corner of my mouth from the splits. It seems this is somewhat common with poz people and the elderly.

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 10:53:17 am »
Actually I get the same thing and it is a form of herpes. There are many types of herpes infections that people don't know about. and when your immune system gets attacked it brings them out. from the picture it looks excactly what I get when i stress out or get a sunburn. and sometimes i just get the cracking on the sides of my mouth like you were saying. Anyway Acyclovir gets mine if I take them right when it starts cracking. Hope this helps any with you.

Jerry :)
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 03:32:47 pm »
Actually I get the same thing and it is a form of herpes.

Jerry, I don't think what they've been talking about here is herpes.  It's like a yeast problem, hence the mention of taking Diflucan.  I understand that herpes does appear somewhat like this (after I tested poz I had a terrible cold sore on my outer lip), but I think this is something different.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.