Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:33:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 222
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: radiation worker periodic examination  (Read 2118 times)

Offline ScaredNinja

radiation worker periodic examination
« on: July 25, 2017, 05:01:46 am »
Okay i dont think im going to get an answer on here and probably no one will know. I work with radiation and every 2 years i get checked. This is the first time im going in HIV+. I dont know what they look for but mainly cancer i think. They look at blood, lungs, colon etc etc. I emailed them and asked what they test for and they said they do a CBC and you can always get the results after and all that but what im concerned with is, is HIV a problem with being a radiation worker? Will this affect my job? If they dont test for it do i have to tell my company on the form they hand me? I think it list diseases i got to check that i know i have or something. I just dont want my company getting hold of this info and at the sametime screwing my job.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:04:43 am by ScaredNinja »

Offline em

Re: radiation worker periodic examination
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:10:19 am »
no one here is a legal professional or gives advice about policy they do not know anything about as far as  I can tell? THis place is for support as  I understand it?

Work related radiation exposure and HIV? DO you have a ID doc you go to for medication? Getting HIV under control should be just as important  as keeping your job?

that is just my thought, someone else might be able to give better advice

Offline ScaredNinja

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:07:36 am »
Hiv is under control, it is so under control i only have see the id doc every 8 months for blood work. Im UD and everything is good. Now back to the orginal post

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 05:52:37 am »
Hi

Maybe more practical side of things, it's a mandatory check-up I presume for all staff and employees? If so stressing about it is a bit pointless, whatever will be will be as you have to have the check-up. Also they are not testing for HIV.

On the do you have to disclose if asked, i don't know for the US.
Have you asked any of the ADO's for advice.

Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline em

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:41 am »
Original poster , your fear is ?

I just dont want my company getting hold of this info and at the sametime screwing my job.

Do you think it might make working more difficult? 

Is your radation
I work with radiation

do you have to mention it on the form. I would think being how you are healthy you might put it down to show them you are taking care of yourself and to be proud of your accomplishments and good health to show off how you are doing the right thing and one would think they should respect that. If it was that easy to be free of the fear of this virus.

just my thought on it

well  good luck

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:44:18 am by em »

Offline ScaredNinja

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:48:37 pm »
Yeah im just hoping if i get the form and say no would it implicate me. It been 2 years and i forgot what the form asked it might not even ask. I remember a list of diseases, their concern is with cancer not having these diseases but i really just dont want the company to know cause it will be on my health record on my job and i dont like it.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:29:01 am »
Well I came across this on the subject.

https://www.poz.com/article/disclose-hiv-positive-status
https://www.lambdalegal.org/know-your-rights/article/hiv-privacy-and-confidentiality

"What should I do if a potential employer or my current employer directly asks me if I have HIV?

Lambda Legal can’t tell you the best way to handle such an inquiry—because sometimes just by refusing to answer, you will be presumed to have answered the question—but we can tell you what the law says about this:

A potential employer is not legally allowed to ask you this question if the company has not yet offered you a job. If you have been offered the job—contingent only upon successful completion of a medical exam—or are already working in the position, an employer is allowed to ask if you are HIV positive as long as they ask the same question of everyone who holds this or a similar position. Either way, you may want to ask whether and/or how a person’s HIV status is relevant to the ability to do the job.

There are still a few occupations for which employers can legally ask about someone’s HIV status. However, Lambda Legal is working on reforms that would make it clear that HIV-positive individuals can safely perform any job in any occupation without any special accommodations.

In the meantime, it is wise to either refuse to answer or to be truthful in your response. Lying about your status in response to a lawful inquiry can be a problem later if you end up trying to take that employer to court.
"
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.