Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:58:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 225
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Son is Having Difficulty with Meds....Need Help Coping  (Read 4489 times)

Offline DanKenny

Son is Having Difficulty with Meds....Need Help Coping
« on: November 06, 2006, 09:14:38 pm »
Hi,

My son (10yrs) has been on meds since he was 2.5 yrs.

-- Viracept (Nelfinavir), 250mgs (he takes  5 tabs or 1250mgs, twice a day)
-- Epivir, 150mg (1 tab, twice a day)
-- Retrovir, 100mg (2 tabs, twice a day)

He has recently started taking the Epivir and Retrovir pills (instead of liquids) - for good reasons, he needs to get off the liquids.  But he is having difficulty with the 8 pills.  He has to take them in the morning before he goes to school. He feels queasy when he takes them, and the last thing i want is for him to throw up in school, prompting questions.

I tried to encourage him, and support him, as he holds his stomach after swallowing the pills, but it is hard to see him in such pains, particularly in the mornings.  I am still researching on alternative/simpler regiments, for discussion with our doctor next month...any thoughts...??

Anyhow, just thought i would get this out..

regards, Danny

My Progress:

09/07:   771   ~    <50     ~   29%
03/07:   493   ~    227      ~   22%
02/07:   Began Meds ~~ ATRIPLA
01/07:   315   ~   45, 000  ~   18%
10/06:   350   ~   32, 430  ~   22%
04/06:   440   ~   23, 997  ~   24%
07/05:   621   ~   36,000   ~   24%
01/05:   842   ~   2306      ~   28%
07/04:   615   ~   3370      ~   27%
04/04:   674   ~   739        ~   26%
11/03:   439   ~   2800      ~   22%
Infected probably around 1997 / Diagnosed 2002

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
Re: Son is Having Difficulty with Meds....Need Help Coping
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 10:39:55 pm »
I sent you a PM w/ a bandaide suggestion.  Keep us updated.

Offline RobT

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 11:24:57 pm »
DanKenney-
I am sorry to hear that ur son is having difficulty w/ the meds. I really wish that I can help, but unfortunately my resources r limited at that age. I understand that meds r difficult at any age. Wish that I can help.

RobT
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 11:39:20 pm »
Dan,

Sorry to hear your son is having difficulty with his meds.  Have you discussed this with his doctor?  Isn't he eight years old?
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 12:51:11 am »
Hey Dankenny...

It is unfortunate that your son is having a tough time with his meds. Just as IzPoz has mentioned, perhaps you will want to consult with his doctor to see if there is a different combo that they could put him on.

Sending you BEST wishes for it to work itself out.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 02:09:02 am »
Hey hello

You may be interested to read/show your doc this report from the recent International AIDS Conference:

3TC/abacavir maintains virological superiority over AZT/3TC and AZT/abacavir beyond 5 years in children (abacavir is the generic name for Ziagen).

3TC + abacavir can be taken 1 x day or 2 x day.  Abacavir generally causes less (no) nausea compared to AZT. 

Kaletra/Meltrex (generic name lopinavir/r) is the "preferred" PI for children, and is reasonably well studied.  It is easier to administer that nelfinavir and can potentially be taken 1 x day.

A 1 x day combo would be good eh, because it gives the option of taking in the evening.

US pediatric HIV treatment guidelines.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 06:51:05 am »
I Danny.  In mental healthcare, according to the medication adminstration program I am currently studying, you are doing the right things, you are encouraging and supporting him, but...  Your son's responses call for immediate reporting to your hcp (health care provider).  He, like them, needs to take his medications but is having side effects to them.  In part it may be, and I don't work with children, that the medications are based on healthcare for men and he is a child.  I am not sure why he switched from liquids to pills and would never outguess an hcp.  If your provider is too busy, which would be a concern, check with a nurse practitioner or a pharmacist, either of which should have suggestions.  And part of what I am picking up is that your son holds his stomach right after taking the pills, so it seems less the medications which wouldn't have time to work that fast and perhaps, just perhaps, more an issue about the pills themselves, like too much pill in his stomach at one time.  Win

Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:17:54 am »
I know nothing about HIV and kids, but I would bring this up with his doctor, if the doc recommends a "stay the course' maybe you should look for another doc. Taking the meds isn't easy for any of us. But  it shouldn't be a nightmare.
Good luck
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Christine

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 01:13:35 pm »
I don't have any experience with hiv and children, but I do understand not wanting to take all those pills. I would talk to the Dr right away. There are meds that can help with nausea.

For me, when I am really nauseated, eating certain foods help a lot. Hard sour dough pretzels, crackers, ginger ale with lots of ice. There are also some acupressure nausea points that help me. Inside of the wrist, two fingers wide down from the wrist joint on the inside fore arm. There are two tendons which are side by side- gently press on that point for a few minutes.

Also- To the right and left of the belly button, two finger wide distance, gently press, and deep breath while pressing both points.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline gay4kink

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 05:37:50 pm »
Fortunately I never had to take meds when I was your son's age.  However, my own experience with AZT might help.  It was important for me to always eat breakfast first, then take the pills.  If I didn't, I'd definitely be nauseous.  You didn't mention if he's eating before, or not, but that did make a big difference for me.  That never changed during the 14 years I took AZT.

I hope you find a way to successfully deal with it.

Offline DanKenny

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 07:13:48 pm »
Thanks to you all for your inputs and suggestions and ideas. 

We are managing and he is taking the meds after meals.  And he takes them two at a time....to reduce the pill overload.  He managed well this morning, and i wll see how he fares in a few minutes. So far he has not thrown up...he is able to control it after a few minutes.

I will see the doctor next month, and will review my thoughts of pediatric guidelines with her.

Thansks, thanks and thanks to you all.

/Danny

My Progress:

09/07:   771   ~    <50     ~   29%
03/07:   493   ~    227      ~   22%
02/07:   Began Meds ~~ ATRIPLA
01/07:   315   ~   45, 000  ~   18%
10/06:   350   ~   32, 430  ~   22%
04/06:   440   ~   23, 997  ~   24%
07/05:   621   ~   36,000   ~   24%
01/05:   842   ~   2306      ~   28%
07/04:   615   ~   3370      ~   27%
04/04:   674   ~   739        ~   26%
11/03:   439   ~   2800      ~   22%
Infected probably around 1997 / Diagnosed 2002

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 07:25:13 pm »
I was on the exact same regimine a few years back.  Terrible nausea.  Gave it the boot.  There are plenty of options out there, even for kids.  He needn't suffer.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.