Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:38:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 588
Total: 588

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Jitters  (Read 4461 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
The Jitters
« on: November 29, 2007, 11:41:17 pm »
Believe it or not, I have been asked to be "the entertainment" at a Christmas party for approx. 30 people, next Friday night.

I am a nervous wreck.   I have not played the piano for more than a handful of people in years....and I mean about 25 years....The more I try to practice, the worse I play.  My shoulder injury awhile back isn't helping matters any.

My style is a cross between Jo Ann Castle and The Happy Goodmans.....(for those of you who have any idea of who these are).  Let's just say I'm a "lively" pianist.

I will need an ativan about 30 mins beforehand, and a good slug of something before I sit down at the baby grand (and I'll be keeping the lid closed).

Wish me luck.....

Alan  (I'm little but I'm LOUD)   ;D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: The Jitters
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 12:05:24 am »
I'm sure once you get through the first song and loosen up you'll be great. Have fun!

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:30:58 am »
Hey, you'll do great.

By the way, do you take requests?

Handel's Messiah?

robert

(King of Kings, and Lord of Lords, and He shall reign for ever and ever, Hallelujah!)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 11:38:13 am »
I think you should play "Innagodadavida." That should take at least a quarter hour of the clock! ;)

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 11:41:55 am »
Have you considered playing in costume?  Make it a "comedy affair"....that way anything that goes wrong
will be considered "part of the show".........  Just a suggestion!

An adivan and a shot of vodka does wonders for me ::)

By the way Rodney.......Congradulations sweetie!  You'll do fine!
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Iggy

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 03:26:30 pm »
I think you should play "Innagodadavida." That should take at least a quarter hour of the clock! ;)

Great!  Now I'm gonna have an image of Alan as the Church lady in the Simpsons!

Alan, All my best wishes that you are at ease and happy at the piano next Friday.  I'm sure you'll be wonderful

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 06:07:18 pm »
Alan  I know exactly who JoAnn Castle is.....a really great performer and very hot piano player....I hope you blast them with plenty of that good old southern Honkey Tonk ,  maybe even some Scott Joplin

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline 404error

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 07:08:55 pm »
Blue Rondo a la Turk is a great piano song, lively as well.  To eat up time though, hmmm...  any cover of a live version of anything heavy synth by pink floyd should easily eat up some time...
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 08:13:07 pm »
I actually got in a little "practice time", and managed to get my repertoire all lined up for Friday:

Rudolph
Holly Jolly Christmas
Winter Wonderland
Frosty the Snowman
Silver Bells
It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas
The First Noel
What Child is This?
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Away in a Manger
Silent Night

and if I need a couple more to make a full 30 minutes:
Gentle Mary Laid her Child
Once in Royal David's City

I'll let you know how it goes.....
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jody

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 08:29:12 pm »
Alan...Why don't you just go WAY over the top- like Liberace!!! ;)

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 08:48:51 pm »
Alan, if you play like Jo Ann Castle, then playing like Scott Joplin won't be any trouble for you. I can listen to that music all day.  ;)

Rodney

Offline BirdBear718

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 10:41:43 pm »
I could suggest some wonderful, sophisticated piano music...but..you've got to play the music from THE PEANUTS -- the one that Linus plays.  It always brings a smile to my face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjmfzissdbs

and this one too....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcEB7a08k-s

Good luck!
Most of all --> HAVE FUN!

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:46:05 pm »
I agree with BirdBear!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 09:57:40 am »
Alan,

You will do a fantastic job. I have no doubts in the matter.

Of course, you know I now have Burl Ives singing in my head.  ;D ;D

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 09:59:21 am »
I love Linus & Lucy's theme.

I play about 99.5% by ear, even though I took piano lessons for 12 years.  I am so rusty, I cannot read music well anymore....I'd need the music for that one, it is one that is tricky to my ear for some reason....oh, and also another one I love, but can't play (without music) is The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire).

In San Francisco, I told everyone what a hard time I'm having adjusting to being a 'full time' wearer of eyeglasses.  (remember Mark?)  I've discovered that I absolutely cannot play the piano with them on.   Go figure....     I think others may have the same problem, I noticed our organist at church takes his off to play.

Hugs all around,
Alan

PS - Mark, I watched "Rudolph" last night, so Burl Ives is in my head too....that is one of my favorite Christmas shows.....silver and gold, silver and gold....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 10:02:20 am by AlanBama »

Offline bear60

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 10:09:12 am »
OMG.....We used to two-step to Happy Goodman singing : LOOKING FOR A CITY.  They were so incredible!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf8f32cDAXA
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.