Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:01:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ensure Fairness in Voting  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Jody

Ensure Fairness in Voting
« on: June 16, 2006, 06:58:59 pm »
  *** BELOW IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT IS TAKING PLACE IN AMERICA...THOSE OF US WHO ARE GAY, HIV+ OR JUST BELIEVE IN FAIRNESS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF WHAT CONSERVATIVES PRIMARILY ARE ATTEMPTING:

PEOPLE FOR THE AMERICAN WAY FOUNDATION June 16, 2006 

They’re at it again!

The Ohio Secretary of State has effectively shut down voter registration drives in the state.

Sign our petition urging Ohio lawmakers to rescind new, burdensome rules severely restricting our ability to register new voters in traditionally disenfranchised communities.

Dear Jody,

As you may know, Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell is at it again, abusing his power by disenfranchising already underrepresented communities in the coming elections. Election Protection 365 is not taking it sitting down.

Secretary of State Blackwell effectively shut down all voter registration efforts in Ohio when he enacted regulations a week and a half ago that severely restrict the operations of groups seeking to register traditionally disenfranchised voters. Under these new regulations, compensated voter registration workers must turn in the forms they collect directly to elections officials, and not to the group sponsoring the voter registration drive. This means that voter registration groups can’t keep good records – and that means they can’t do the necessary follow up to make sure the voters actually make it onto the voting rolls (and we all know we’ve seen problems with that in the past!).

As if that weren’t enough, these new rules also threaten criminal penalties for individuals registering voters if they do not exactly conform to complicated, burdensome procedures. The threat of criminal prosecution will have such a chilling effect that no one will want to risk engaging in voter registration efforts that expand democracy and empower their communities, and poor people, young people and African Americans will be shut out of our democracy.

On June 26, the Ohio Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review (JCARR) will have the opportunity to reject the Secretary of State’s new policy and they need to hear from you! Even if you don’t live in Ohio, your voice matters – this type of blatant voter suppression in any state sets a dangerous precedent that all Americans have an obligation to speak out against.

People For the American Way Foundation is launching an online petition against Blackwell’s unjust regulations. Sign it today and an e-mail will go directly to JCARR members registering your opposition to this blatant voter suppression.

http://www.pfaw.org/go/OHSuppression

We’ve already had one victory in this battle. Due to backlash from civil rights organizations, the media and everyday citizens, Blackwell announced Thursday that he would rescind one part of the rule that had required certain registrations to be hand-delivered, and not mailed. While this is a step in the right direction, too many unnecessary burdens remain.

Shutting people out of the democratic process is not the American Way. Weigh in against this right-wing attack on voting rights by signing our petition today!

After you sign the petition, please forward this e-mail to your friends and ask them to show their support for voting rights by signing as well.

http://www.pfaw.org/go/OHSuppression

Together in the struggle,

Sharon J. Lettman
Vice President for External Affairs and Director of Election Protection 365
People For the American Way Foundation

P.S. You can also support our work to protect voting rights, ensure the fair administration of elections, and register new voters by making a secure online contribution today.

P.P.S. June 26 is my birthday, and I’d really like to celebrate a victory on that day. Tell JCARR to give me the birthday present I deserve – stop the madness!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manage your People For profile and e-mail subscriptions at:
http://www.pfaw.org/go/my_profile

To ensure that People For e-mails are not diverted to your spam or bulk folders,
please add alerts@pfaw.org to your address book and/or "safe list."

Please DO NOT reply to this e-mail. Replies will not be read.
To contact us online, please use the web form at:
http://www.pfaw.org/go/contact_us/

PFAW FOUNDATION © 2006

:(
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: Ensure Fairness in Voting
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 08:35:44 pm »
OY !
Oh great...now we have another "Mississippi Burning" going on in Ohio.
I knew there was a reason I didn't want to move back to that state.
Consider it done Jody.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline fearless

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 09:06:25 am »
That sucks Jody,
I thought democracy was about people having their say, not about those in power trying to restrict people from participating.

Voting is compulsory in Australia, and I'm glad it is.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 09:38:55 am »
Hey Jody...how ironic.  Ohio has such a large gay population too.  Consider it done my friend.
You have my vote and my support.  Signing on the dotted line as they say........

Lisa...Mississippi Burning?  Hmm!  I don't get it :-\

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 09:40:31 am by david25luvit »
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 06:57:29 am »
From Fearless:

I thought democracy was about people having their say, not about those in power trying to restrict people from participating.

People in Power trying to restrict people from participating... Hmm, interesting concept... They've been doing that in the United States for a LONG time.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.