Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:39:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 250
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 251
Total: 252

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How has Dating and stigma been for you after your diagnosis?  (Read 5103 times)

Offline juju_114

So it's been about a month since I got hiv and I have been doing very good with adherence and keeping record of my treatment. The problem I have is stigma. I'm terrified of the idea of living alone. I want to know how was dating after you found out that you had hiv? Did you ever found love or found people who accepted you? I'm 21 and I feel like my life is over. Who will love me?

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: How has Dating and stigma been for you after your diagnosis?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:44:16 pm »
The one who loves you will be the one who loves you:  that is all you need to know.  You will know it when it happens.

Work on your self stigma, practice safer sex, and good things will follow.

Your life is not over, but just beginning, just not the way you expected that it would begin.  So what?  You are young and all things are possible, as long as you stay adherent to your antiretroviral regimen.

You will be fine and will love and be loved.

Best wishes to you on your journey to self acceptance, good health, and long life.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline InRecovery

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 02:18:13 am »
When I first tested positive in 1995, I made the decision to never date anyone who was not already HIV+. Even though my viral load has been undetectable for about 18 years, I have stuck to this decision. You still have to go by the safe sex guidelines because the person could have another STD, plus if that person has a different strain of HIV than yours, you can have a super infection. I know they say it's much harder to transmit the virus if you are undetectable and on treatment, but I am from the generation when this was a fatal disease. I have always been a naturally paranoid person, and I am just too afraid to be with someone who is HIV negative. Times were very different and scary in 1995, and those things we were told back then have never left my mind. I also am aware that it is harder for a man to contact it from a woman, but I am still so paranoid about it.

I had the fears and concerns you feel when I was first diagnosed, only the outlook was very bleak in 1995. I got started on aggressive treatment immediately and just focused on the inner peace I felt concerning the progress I had made in drug rehab. I was finished with detox. I felt so much peace and relief that my body no longer craves heroin. I didn't have to worry about how, when, and where I would get my next hit. I focused on that which made me very happy. I found a part-time job and eventually worked up to full time. I was initially told I had only 2-5 years to live. Then my infectious disease doctor said it would be 5-7 years which helped tremendously with my anxiety about dying, etc. I told myself if I can just have five good years, I can accept this. I was terrified, so I saved up as much money as I could to ease the future burden on my parents who I thought would be taking care of me. Then in 2000 my viral load became undetectable. How things have changed. I'm not only still alive, but drug-free and have never been sick or fatigued. If you had told me 23 years ago that things would be this good, I wouldn't have believed you. I responded very well to HAART. I don't allow myself to get complacent. This disease can still kill people. But, if we stay on treatment, our prognosis is a long life, and most of us are still able to work, etc. My t cells (CD4 count) was around 1,300 and viral load undetectable when I had my labs done three months ago.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 02:59:04 am »
OP

You are 21 and thankfully in 2017 the treatment is at a stage where you as a young person should expect to live a normal life. Its early days and your only a month in, it takes a while to get your thoughts around this, and to fully digest the diagnosis.

On aside note have you thought about or been offered any HIV counseling? Also have you considered looking and joining any local support groups, it can really help meeting people face to face.

As for dating, well with any dating or sex situation there are people who are going to say no thank you. That is always a possibility with or without HIV and its something you too will experience, however rejection is simply part of dating and happens for all sorts of reasons.

Living with HIV just adds an additional aspect to dating, just like living with any illness or long term condition does, HIV is not unique in that sense. It has not stopped me from dating and I've dated both HIV negative and Positive people and I have been very happy and loved during stages of my life and so will you be.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 04:45:39 am »
plus if that person has a different strain of HIV than yours, you can have a super infection.
when a person is on successful treatment, their meds work as both PEP and PrEP stopping any further infections. There have only been about a dozen cases of "super infection" and all those patients were not on successful treatment but had high viral loads and low cd4s. Super infection is rare and something a person on treatment needs to never worry about

I know they say it's much harder to transmit the virus if you are undetectable and on treatment,
actually is not just "much harder" but it simply doesn't happen. Undetectable = Untransmittable
https://www.preventionaccess.org/faq

Of course, you are completely correct about the necessity of safer sex practices to prevent other STIs like syphilis, Hep C, gonorrhea and chlamydia - all of which are huge epidemics in themselves.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline harleymc

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 09:50:18 am »
I was diagnosed in 1985 and effective treatments were not developed until 1996.

But even in the pre 1996 era, I got on with being in community groups as a volunteer, worked and fell in and out of love.

In this era of effective treatments I still do those things, but also play sport and study.

Everybody differs on whether to sero-sort, or to use condoms. Your body your decision. Nobody else really should have a right to police your body and your morality. Of course in many jurisdictions the police and courts still try to do that.

Offline juju_114

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 07:05:38 pm »
I recently been diagnosed last month and I'm afraid that no one will love me. I would like to hear stories from you guys. Have you ever dated someone negative? Have you been rejected more than accepted?

Offline juju_114

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 07:27:26 am »
I recently been diagnosed last month and I'm afraid that no one will love me. I would like to hear stories from you guys. Have you ever dated someone negative? Have you been rejected more than accepted?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 07:32:51 am »
Hi

I merged you posts as its similar if not the same topic.

To answer the question, it has not really been a problem and i've dated plenty both HIV negative and positive people.  With any date or sex situation there are people who are going to say no thank you. That is always a possibility with or without HIV and its something you too will experience, however rejection is simply part of dating and happens for all sorts of reasons.

Living with HIV just adds an additional aspect to dating, just like living with any illness or long term condition does, HIV is not unique in that sense.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline juju_114

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 09:37:18 am »
How hard was it to find those people? Are you dating now?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 10:06:43 am »
As difficult or easy as normal. I mean its not like shopping for new pants but examples are I've met people in the office, the pub, nightclubs, festivals so the usually places.

End of the day HIV is not a barrier to dating, (if you don't let it be) so from my point of view its just a metal block not a real world issue when it comes to dating.

Some people have said "no thank you" fine, move on to the next, that's okay. I also have been rejected for having a making leg or having 2 kids and someone not wanting a relationship with someone who also has kids.

Fair enough, I wish them well and I move on and look on, I am not everybody's cup of tea and I am sure you are not either. That is normal in the world of dating.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:11:26 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.