Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:25:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 625
Total: 625

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bit of bad news  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Almost2late

Bit of bad news
« on: May 17, 2017, 01:38:05 pm »
So I saw my ID today and kidney numbers are better at GFR 74, up from 53 couple of years ago but my cd4 is 177 down from 307 in January. My vl is at 106 so the doc wants to do the test again in a couple of weeks. Percentage is up to 15%, that's up from January​ which was 14%.. I'm a bit down about it, trying not to let it get me too depressed.

It's funny but I kind of had the feeling this shit was going to happen bc I was feeling that pressure around my neck which I wasn't feeling when I was at 307.

Sorry to be such a big baby about this, just don't know why I'm going through this.. seems everytime I start moving forward the fucking virus knocks me down. So tired of this.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Bit of bad news
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 01:50:37 pm »
I wouldn't worry much about the CD4 fluctuation.  They happen.  It's good that your percentage (15%) is decent and that your viral load is nearly undetectable (and would be so considered under "undetectable" viral load standards not long ago).

If anything, your goal is to continue adherence in order to achieve an undetectable viral load in order that your CD4's consistently improve, but it is not unusual for someone who had a low CD4 nadir and who likely had the HIV infection for a long time before diagnosis to have a slow CD4 recovery (I, too, am one of those people).

Your viral load is the more important factor at the moment and you are making considerable progress there!

Are you still on Bactrim?

All you can do is continue to adhere to your antiretroviral regimen and work with your healthcare provider (and he/she appears to be well on top of things, so that's very good).

Things will improve in time. 

Continue to be well.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:29:50 pm »
Its a blip, can happen no need to stress.I know that is easier said than done.
But look you will be fine, keep taking you meds and see what the next result is.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 04:12:56 pm »
Just to echo what ptrk said on slow risers and low nadirs  - I had a nadir of 50 about 9 months ago at dx which meant i probably had the virus for a long time.Almost 3 months ago it was 193 so i`m a slow riser and it is disappointing..but i`m undetectable and i feel pretty good apart from my salty sea dog below hiding his bone.
I`m being master of the obvious i know but listen to those most experienced here and take their advice to the bank.They have been sage guides for me throughout and have eased my terrors and anxieties no end.It`s a blip.Put it out of your mind,blow a kiss up to the gods and carry on regardless ! :)
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline harleymc

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:39:24 pm »
You still have way more cd4s than me so go out and celebrate life.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 09:38:04 pm »
Almost,

It is natural for us to feel down when the blood result is not what we expect or hope for.  But in your case, it is a blip as everyone has said.   I was down with a cold one week ago - fatigue, cough, fever - l think my number might have been lower than usual at that time. But without medicine, l got over it in three days.  Sometimes we get indisposed but maybe we are stronger with our boosted immune with medication?  You will be all right.

Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 08:01:19 am »
Okay, got a better perspective today.. I know somethings up with my body cause I had night sweats last night and still some tightness around the neck, never the less  got my workout in this morning, moving forward cause I got a trip coming up.

Yeah, putting it out of my mind for now if I can, I'll try.. I'm usually an optimist so should be easy, lol.. thanks a lot fellas for the help, I think I was just overwhelmed yesterday.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 11:47:03 am »
cd4 is 177 down from 307
if you consider how cd4s can change by 100 pts in a single day, then this isn't that big of change.  :D

Of course, you should never really much care about the results from just one test. You need to always consider the trend over at least 3 tests. Looking at your numbers (like the last four of 167 - 222 - 307 - 177), you have trended (with some small dips down and some bumps up) on an upward trend. WooHoo!

unfortunately it just takes time, when you've been at such a low point, to recover. Hang in there, stay adherent, and you'll see the improvement you've had in the last few years continuing :D

(I hit a nadir of 7 one time and it took me 12 years to get and sustain >200. Of course, that was through the early years of meds, so it's no wonder it took some time; but I can totally understand your worries about the length of recovery time.)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 12:10:27 pm »
Thanks for that too Leather, you always clear things up so well.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 07:53:48 pm »

OJO         HELLO @ALMOST2LATE...I FEEL BAD YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THIS SITUATION WITH YOUR "SOLDIERS", PLEASE HANG IN THERE, BE PATIENT. i ALSO THINK THAT YOUR VIRAL LOAD IS A BLIP, LET'S WAIT AND SEE NEXT BLOOD WORK RESULTS, YOU WILL SEE, AGAIN, <20, UD...NOW, GO AND ENJOY YOURSELF, FORGET ABOUT THE "NUMBERS" AND ENJOY LIFE AND YOUR TRIP. IF YOU INVITE ME TO YOUR TRIP, I WILL SHARE SOME OF MY SOLDIERS WITH YOU, DEAL?...BIG, CYBER HUG ON YOUR WAY, WHEREVER YOU ARE                                                       ojo

Offline daveR

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 10:47:00 pm »
The trend in your CD4 % shows a steady increase from day one. Heading in the right direction still.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 09:47:31 am »
BIG HUGS TO YOU TOO TONNY2  AND daveR, THANK YOU BOTH.. REALLY AM FEELING MORE AT EASE WITH NOW ;)

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 09:41:22 pm »
 :) :) Almost2late, I echo everyone's sentiment although I know how disturbing and scary it can be. I also had a 'blip' on my VL and I was almost in full panic mode. Dr. reordered tests and I think I broke every single traffic law trying to get there... Then the wait.. Man, the wait... Finally results came back and they were better! The blip was just two points off! I always feel uneasy when it is time to have blood tests again... But I think we share a special bond, although not necessarily one we want to have! Hang in there...
Today January 20, 2020, I have taken 2378 pills of my ARV since first pill. This means 79 bottles of 30 pills of ARVs at an average of $3950 per bottle or $313,103 USD for my treatment. I have a compliance of 99.83% taking my meds and only .17% (or 4 pills) non-compliant. Of these four pills two I forgot completely, One I lost and one I didn't have with me while traveling! I became UD 3 months after treatment start   ***We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds! ***

Offline TheNormalLife

• Rules have changed; giving up is never an option
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 11:39:36 pm »
As others have said, don't worry too much for absolute CD4 numbers. They fluctuate and they do that a lot. On my very last visit to the vampire, the lab performed two counts (God knows why) with different absolute numbers. The percentage, however turned out to be the same.

Wait for the next set and examine the trends.

Ray.
09/14 Conversion
12/14 Diagnosed
12/14 CD4-6; VL-4245 (wrong CD4 test)
01/15 CD4-530 (pheeew)
01/15 CD4-755
03/15 CD4-545; VL-14401
04/15 CD4-623; VL-4531
04/15 Truvada/Efavirenz
07/15 CD4-595; VL-UD
08/15 CD4-763; VL-UD
11/15 CD4-581; VL-UD
03/16 CD4-523; VL-UD
07/16 CD4-655; VL-UD
09/16 CD4-820; VL-UD
03/17 CD4-544; VL-UD
03/17 CD4-669; VL-UD

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 12:17:01 pm »
Thank you Normal and Joseph.. ;)

So I'm now supposed to go and get re-tested since the two weeks have gone by.. but now i got a nasty cold and i know this could effect the blood test in a negative way.. Thinking I should wait another week to retest.. Or are there any reasons I shouldn't wait?

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 09:32:01 am »
So yeah, I was sick with the cold, a pretty nasty one so I postponed my test about a week.. then I went in to take the blood test although I was still congested with mucus in my lungs and sinus.. Results came back with cd4's at 255 and vl 71, oh well that's better than before and who knows maybe most of those badboys aren't even harmful, dead virus..

In hindsight I think it was the colonoscopy I had months earlier that fucked up my guts and send the virus outta whack.. not ever doing that again..

On the brighter side, I've lost ten pounds due to intermittent fasting and feel a hell of a lot better.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:45 am »
I'm glad to read that your CD4's are safely above 200, that your viral load is, essentially, undetectable, and that you are feeling much better!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 10:28:03 am »
Hey... That's great news Almost !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 03:17:38 pm »

OJO         HELLO ALMOST...CONGRATULATIONS...KEEP FIGHTING...HUGS   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.