Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:29:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 225
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: recent high risk, few symptoms  (Read 15877 times)

Offline floydian

recent high risk, few symptoms
« on: April 18, 2008, 07:45:28 pm »
hello everyone,
I need some advice about ARS symptoms and recent risky encounter.

Here is what happened

Day 0: Got really drunk and went to a massage parlor, had protected oral and then she used same condom and we had vaginal sex. The condom slipped and since I was standing I noticed it and immediately stopped. She removed the condom, gave and hand job and then put the SAME condom back on....

Day 20: Started having fever and sore throat, last 3-4 days. Fever max 101 during the day

Day 22: Tested negative for antibodies (elisa)

Day 26: Now the symptoms are gone, waiting for 6 week mark before getting tested.

Here is what I heard:

Symptoms are no indicator of HIV but the timing of the fever has made me very scared.

I want to know how risky is the reuse of a condom, and what if was taken inside out...

Thank you for taking time to read, any help please.....

Offline RapidRod

Re: recent high risk, few symptoms
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:48:17 pm »
No risk at all.

Offline floydian

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 07:58:22 pm »
and the symptoms? I had no reason for fever and sore throat can it be ARS the timing is on the mark?>

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:23:10 pm »
Floyd,

Symptoms or the even the lack of symptoms mean nothing where hiv is concerned. You did not have a risk. Unless you had full on unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you haven't been at risk.

Keep using those condoms and you'll be ok where hiv is concerned.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you do NOT need to test over this incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline floydian

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 09:24:07 pm »
Thankyou,
So considering i did get exposed, I understand that absence of symptoms means nothing but isnt presence of symptoms say something?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 09:32:35 pm »
No, dude.    Neither the absence OR presence of "symptoms" means squat with HIV.  I had full tilt AIDS and didn't show anything at all.

More importantly:  No, you did NOT have an "exposure" for HIV from this incident.  Just having sex does not automatically = exposure.

ps: floyd rules.   ;D

relax.  you're fine.  but keep using condoms.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:48:52 pm »
I agree that you didn't do anything risky as far as HIV in this incident you're concerned about.

Actually the big red flag to me in the whole thing is that you had casual sex while drunk. Mixing the two is a very dangerous combination. Have all the sex you want to and with as many partners as you like. Just do it the safer way which means sober and always without exception using a latex condom for vaginal and anal intercourse.

This time out you have no basis in HIV science for further worry about HIV.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline floydian

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 02:24:01 pm »
thankyou everyone for the replies.
that exactly the reason since i was drunk and had sex with CSW. There were problems with the condom. Slipping. I had a few symptoms felt like fever again today. I might have been infected. No one can tell me if i did even tough odds are in my favour.... I hope i didnt but inside i feel i did. thank you everyone.... will keep in touch. very nice to meet u all.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 02:28:30 pm »
everybody that posts in this forum just swears  they are infected and just knows inside  they are.

they never are.

in fact, i can't remember when (or even if) i've run across someone in this forum who really did end up positive.

but everybody still thinks they are bound to be the one....no matter what we (or the science) tell them.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline floydian

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 07:52:02 pm »
can anyone help me out with symptoms? I have small red rash all over my back (5 or more), this is on the 29th day, I had fever from day 20 to about 24 with mild sore throat. The rashes are onl starting to appear today. I am very scared. please advice do symptoms all show up at once?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 08:05:36 pm »
We don't discuss symptoms on this forum. HIV has no specific symptoms. You didn't have a risk to begin with. You need to get on with your life.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:15:42 pm »
IfARS is going to occur it doesn't happen some today and some a few days ago and some next week. It's all at once. There is absolutely nothing about you are describing which is in any way HIV specifc. Discuss your symptoms with your doctor.

You keep coming back with the same details or slight variations of same. We've told you what we think based on experience. You don't seem to be listening to anything other than the scares your mind is coming up with. This is NOT an HIV situation.
Andy Velez

Offline floydian

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 07:53:40 pm »
i had a negative antibody test on day 30 after exposure, how accurate is it? can i assume the symptoms from day 20-24 (fever, sore throat) cannot be ARS? thanks for helping out, i am very confused by all the information online. they say average is 22 days? and then even 3 months sometimes is not good enough??? thankyou

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 09:54:39 pm »
If you keep searching online for (mis)information to scare yourself with, believe me you'll find plenty of it. We've made it very clear to you that you were not at risk for HIV in this incident. There was no need for testing and there's certainly no need for further testing. I wonder if you are really taking in what we've said to you or just listening to fears in your head.

22 days is the average time to seroconversion. All but the smallest number will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks after a genuine risk, which I hasten to say again you didn't have. Except in cases where organ transplant, a severely collapsed immune system or IV drug use is involved, 13 weeks is sufficient for a reliable result. In those exceptions 6 months is the testing point. None of which applies to you in this instance.

Give it up and get on with your life. If your symptoms persist discuss them with your doctor. 
Andy Velez

Offline floydian

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 06:17:45 pm »
Andy thanks, Please answer me one last time .... please anyone ?......... I have rashes like this one
http://depts.washington.edu/hivaids/arvae/case1/fig1q.html
multiple, on my arms and chest and also the back....... how is this posible i am losing it....   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 06:23:07 pm »
floyd,

You need to take your rash to your doctor and let the doctor decide what is goiing on. We cannot diagnose you here.

We can, however, tell you that nothing you did put you at risk for hiv infection, therefore your rash has nothing to do with hiv. Go to the doctor and get the rash sorted out.

Don't keep going on about symptoms here. We cannot help you with them; only your doctor can.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline floydian

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 10:58:02 am »
cant sleep anymore... these rashes have made me so paranoid, they match exactly the rashes of PHI and I cant find any other reason for rashes with no other symptoms simultaneously like fever... I am too afraid to talk to anyone about this around me.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 04:51:12 pm »
We keep saying the same thing to you and it doesn't seem to sink in. I do believe you're uncomfortable but it has nothing to do with HIV because you didn't have a risk. No matter what your fears tell you to the contrary. We can diagnose the cause. You're going to have to see a medical person who can tell you what it's about.

Good luck with getting it properly diagnosed and treated. Just because you don't have an answer yet doesn't by default means it's HIV, even if your mind mistakenly tells you otherwise. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline floydian

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 08:15:47 pm »
Tested negative at 6 week mark, meeting the doctor tomorrow about the skin rash again.... hope he can find something but he is also says this could be hiv.... btw it was an oral swab test oraquick advance.
I read that official line here is same as CDC for 3 month window period, have people turned positive after a 6 week negative? dont mean to bother everyone here so much but i am in a miserable state...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 08:22:13 pm »
floyd,

You didn't have a risk for hiv infection.

It's very rare for someone to test negative at six weeks then test positive after - when they've actually had a risk. You haven't had a risk.

Your six week negative result is not going to change.

Keep working with your doctor to find out what is causing your rash - whatever it is, it isn't hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline floydian

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 08:31:55 pm »
Ann thanks for the reply,
Since I was drunk at the time, I cannot be sure about the events... so I have to depend totally on symptoms/tests. Hiv helpline (MA) told me that oraquick at 6 week is totally conclusive...
from your experience have you seen results change after 6 weeks? what is the normal time you have personally heard from people to test positive on antibody tests?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 08:36:10 pm »
Floyd,

I've never personally seen a six week negative turn positive.

You CANNOT go by symptoms to diagnose hiv. You can ONLY go by test results. Yours was negative and I do not expect it to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline floydian

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 10:31:57 pm »
Hello everyone,
I have been ridiculed everywhere and everyone wants to protect me from bad thoughts. I am at 2 month mark now. Last test a rapid oral swab was negative. But the rashes are still here, they are exactly what an ARS rash should look like, what the GP called non-pruritic macular rash  and its duration has been 4 weeks and counting. Knowing that symptoms say nothing about HIV I am hoping that i am not positive. My Home access results at the 2 month mark will come tomorrow. I am scared and praying. thankyou for reading.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 10:34:36 pm »
You didn't have a risk and you've been told several times.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 03:42:34 am »
Floyd,

If you're read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline floydian

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 12:19:22 am »
thanks everyone. I have tested negative upto 10 weeks now. The skin rash, which is 10-20 small spots less than 5 mm and brown in color are still present. I have decided to take one final test to end the story. The PCR test. Does this test detect both HIV1 and 2. Please answer....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 04:39:22 am »
Quit trolling HIV forums. You already know that PCR tests are not appoved diagnostic tests. So you think the warning Ann gave you was all talk?

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 05:26:45 am »
Floydian

I'm giving you a 28 dayTO, Ann had already warned you and you chose to ignore her, and you obviously didn't read the rules of this forum:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the facean-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Do not attempt to create another user name to get passed this TO, you WILL be caught and your TO will end up as a permanent ban.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline floydian

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 07:16:26 am »
Hello everyone,
Are there any HIV like viruses endemic to China/Korea and not detected by routine diagnostic tests. I am asking because in the past few weeks things have changed. I had fever and sore throat 19 days post exposure and then a rash (i thought) appeared on day 32. But these turned out to be moles or pigmented nevi. They are still present and dermatologist is sure they are pigmented nevi not a rash. I was happy but then I found out that pigmented nevi are also related to weakened immune system and hiv. Heres the link:
Journal of Investigative Dermatology
Volume 107, Issue 5, 1996, Pages 694-697 
http://www.scopus.com/scopus/record/display.url?eid=2-s2.0-0029827291&view=basic&origin=inward&txGid=0SL10_f7NP5iNwYwpPUfBCZ%3a2

I have tested negative upto week 17 / 4 months.

Should I go for some other kind of testing? DNA PCR or CD4 cell count?
Thankyou for reading....
Regards,

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 07:46:54 am »
Pigmented nevi? You've gotten yourself into a flap over an abstract from 1996?

Darlin' you need psychiatric help.

Your concerns about "HIV-like" viruses, skin lesions and all that other crap are completely unfounded. We have explained this to you. You don't have HIV. You were not at risk and there is nothing more we can do for you here.

I should add that we're aware of your antics in other HIV forums.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 07:59:20 am »
Firstly, yours is not an HIV situation. Period.

We're not interested in whatever stuff you're dragging in through your compulsive searching of the web for material to continue to frighten yourself with.

If you can't stop doing that and worrying about HIV then I agree with Matty, you need to get yourself some professional help to deal with the emtional aspects of your problem.

We've done what we can do for you here. You're on the verge of being banned from the site, so consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline floydian

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 08:04:56 am »
Andy and Matty
Thanks for your replies. Please dont hate me (for my 'antics'). .... I have been through a lot during the last 4 months and cant tell you how grateful I am to this and other forums!. One time my ID doc ordered WB only without Elisa and I thought they performed WB means Elisa was + and WB will be in coming weeks. Cant explain what a hole I have created for myself by reading too much online.
Without online support I dont know what I would have done.
Best Regards,

Offline floydian

second risk
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 11:58:37 am »
Hello everyone,
I had another similar risk a month ago, I was again drunk and went to convince myself that I cant get hiv from safer sex. I got fever, sore throat, diarrhea and a mild rash after 11 days for 4-5 days. The symptoms were very mild. Since I got the symptoms I went ahead and did a DNA PCR test from labcorp the next day. The results didnt come till day 21, I was nervous and decided to take a rapid test, which came back positive twice, they took my blood for western blot. In the mean time PCR test from day 11 came back negative and later in the week WB also came back negative. Now I again went to get a rapid test this time Oraquick and it also was positive. They did a WB and said the result was Intermediate. I am now lost, please help...

PS: Please dont accuse me of being a worried well, etc. . maybe I was earlier but no more...

Offline RapidRod

Re: second risk
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 12:02:57 pm »
Your questions will not be answered until you post in your orginal thread.

Offline floydian

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 12:36:20 pm »
Hello everyone,
I had another similar risk a month ago, I was again drunk and went to convince myself that I cant get hiv from safer sex. I got fever, sore throat, diarrhea and a mild rash after 11 days for 4-5 days. The symptoms were very mild. Since I got the symptoms I went ahead and did a DNA PCR test from labcorp the next day. The results didnt come till day 21, I was nervous and decided to take a rapid test, which came back positive twice, they took my blood for western blot. In the mean time PCR test from day 11 came back negative and later in the week WB also came back negative. Now I again went to get a rapid test this time Oraquick and it also was positive. They did a WB and said the result was Intermediate. I am now lost, please help...

PS: Please dont accuse me of being a worried well, etc. . maybe I was earlier but no more...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 01:03:12 pm »
You didn't learn a thing from the first time you posted. You didn't have a risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 01:27:41 pm »
#1, please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread. I have merged your latest one with your previous.

Before I make any further comment, what specifically was your supposed risk this latest time? 
Andy Velez

Offline floydian

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 03:32:51 pm »
Risk: protected sex with csw, some fingering and I had active folliculitis just below genital area 2 sores.

the rapid tests were clear view statpak (twice) and oraquick done 10 days apart (day 21, 31) both reactive
Its just not possible to get both positive and be false positives

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 03:39:12 pm »
You were told over and over again that it was no risk. You had protected sex.

Offline floydian

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 03:48:24 pm »
my tests dont say that anymore?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 03:53:56 pm »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 04:23:58 pm »
Nothing you did put you at risk for HIV transmission. You are just driving yourself nutz with absolutely no basis in HIV science to do so. You're wasting resources with testing that is absolutely not necessary.

It's time for you to call a halt. Go get yourself some professional help if you can't get on with your life. We've done whatever we can do for you.

You also need to pay attention to what Rod said above in red. You're definitely heading for a time out here. 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.