Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:16:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 615
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Firing my Doctor.....to switch medications  (Read 3568 times)

Offline vaguesbleues

Firing my Doctor.....to switch medications
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:50:42 pm »
This is more a rant (with a lesson at the end).  I've been wanting to switch medications for over a year now.  I've been on Atripla for over 5 years, and I've had continual issues ever since I started it.  Hallucinations, extremely vivid dreams, difficulty concentrating, you name it.  My partner has also been pushing me to switch as he's sick of being awakened when I'm mid-dream screaming about someone standing in the doorway, or there being a big bug crawling on the wall...only to realize I'm still dreaming.  :(

Anyways, I had asked my former doctor to help me switch.  He was totally on board & sent in the new prescription for Genvoya.  However, my insurance needed him to fill out a preauthorization form for them to cover the new med as it's not one of the three preferred HIV regimens (Atripla, Complera, or Triumeq).  They went round and round, and after weeks of phone calls, begging and pleading with the doctor office to deal with it and get the preauthorization form filled out fully and completely, I just plain gave up.

Now, I've had issues with this office previously.  There is no way to reach anyone directly, but you are forced to leave a voicemail which is rarely returned.  I would have to call multiple times to get my test results, or to reschedule an appointment if I needed to do so.  Basically, the communication is a royal pain in the a*&.  I love the doctor, but the way the office is run was getting on my nerves.  Also, even thought it was an infectious disease office, they wouldn't do the full STI screen, but would only test for HIV and syphilis. So I decided to switch doctors.  (BTW....I tried several times to get in touch with this old doctor to have my medical records sent to the new doctor, and my old office never did respond, even after multiple attempts...grrr). 

I'm **SO** glad I switched.  The new doctor was very attentive, and they even have an online portal where I can see my results right away, send a message to the doctor's office, and even reschedule my appointment myself!  In addition, he was able to work with my insurance and get the new Genvoya prescription approved and filled within only 2 days. 

So what is the moral of the story?  If you are finding that your doctor isn't working for you, then SWITCH.  Yes, you should always advocate for yourself, but remember, your doctor is working for you.  You shouldn't have to beg, plead, and grovel to get them to do their jobs.  If you are finding that they are unwilling or unable to work for you, then fire them and find a doctor who will work with you. 

In the meantime, I'm using up the rest of my buffer of Atripla and will switch to Genvoya in a few months once I've used up the Atripla I have left.  Hopefully, the switch helps get rid of these crazy dreams!
3/10/11 - HIV-
4/26/11 - Inconclusive WB
5/19/11 - HIV+, VL < 50, T-Cell 747 (30%)
6/13/11 - VL 345, T-Cell 841 (30%)
8/23/11 - VL 50,100, T-Cell 1155 (19%) - CMV
9/18/11 - Started Atripla
11/7/11 - VL 489, T-Cell 881 (31%)
2/8/12 - VL Undetectable!, T-Cell 772 (34%)
8/8/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1070 (42%)
11/5/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1174 (35%)
3/18/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 972 (28%)
10/4/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 1025 (34%)
2/9/14 - VL UD
7/31/14 - VL UD
1/29/15 - VL UD, T-Cell 1027 (32%)
9/15/15 - VL UD
10/21/16 - VL UD, T-cell 765 (39%)
4/28/17 - VL 29
8/17 - started Genvoya
10/27/17 - VL UD, T-cell 880 (35%)
3/30/18 - VL UD
9/28/18 - VL UD, T-cell 980 (34%)
4/19/19 - VL UD
10/18/19 - VL UD
10/22/20 - VL UD, T-cell 1005 (35%)

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Firing my Doctor.....to switch medications
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:06:55 pm »
Thanks for sharing your story of self-empowerment.  Good for you!  Working with a doctor is a partnership and if the partnership begins to fail, one should always feel free to move on.  Good luck with your transition to Genvoya!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.