Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:34:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 454
Total: 455

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Am I in Danger of Infection or Overreacting?  (Read 5365 times)

Offline ez2beme

Am I in Danger of Infection or Overreacting?
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:01:02 am »
had unplanned and unprotected oral sex with a prostitute last weekend.  she insisted on wearing a condom when going down on me, was appearing precautions during the event, but easily allowed me to perform oral on her, did not have penetrative vaginal nor anal sex just oral as I was well inebriated and could not get it up or hard at all.   also used forefinger to stimulate outer anal region and explore vaginal area briefly, next day I noticed I had a thumbtack like hole which could have been made by accidental poke with my insulin needle (am diabetic) ever so slight but noticeable puncture about an inch down from my knuckle.  am really freaking out about this.  doctor assures me there is little worry of contracting hiv i say differrent who is right how does one cope with this madness? losing it! received a round of antibiotics and hepatitis shots as a precautionary measures against more common std's and advised to take an hiv test in 6 weeks for peace of mind..the finger concern has me convinced I am going to contract this disease am told exposure does not equal contraction necessarily

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Am I in Danger of Infection or Overreacting?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:08:03 am »
ez,

Nothing you did or had done to you were risks for hiv infection. Getting a blowjob, with or without a condom, is not a risk for hiv infection. Neither is going down on a woman.

Fingering is also not a risk for hiv infection, regardless of having a possible "thumbtack like hole" in your finger.

You did not have a risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ez2beme

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 02:50:38 pm »
Ann,

Thanks so much for yr reply.  So if I hear you correctly, the oral contact I experienced is no cause for alarm even though she was a working girl?  Aren't all working gals carriers of HIV and other nasties?  I am however, still confused as to the finger puncture aspect that I have and the fact I did use that finger to explores two areas already mentioned.  I noticed the pain in my finger the next day so it inclines me to believe it happen at the site of the event the hours before I finally noticed the redness puncture.  Honestly, I do not know where or how I received the small needle like hole puncture, the doctor said it looked like a needle mark. I assume it was from handling a thumbtack or possibly a jab from my insulin pen perhaps the day before and not noticing.  My imagination is now rambling amok where I am now thinking the club itself or person I was involved with stabbed me with an infected HIV needle, in the finger no less!   My mind is awash with the worst possible scenarios.  I hear that if the latter case was true even then my chance of getting HIV transmitted this way is incredibly small to nonexistent? I read that vaginal fluids can creep into a puncture hole like this and infect me Can u pls clarify this? I cannot sleep, eat nor work as the whole scene has me in a mental torture chamber.  I am probably more angry at myself for being so dumb in getting my self in this predicament in the first place.  Overall then, it is a safe statement to say I have nothing to worry about?  The oral contact on both sides, the mysterious finger stick, the wild notion I was planted with an HIV infected needle?  This happenend in Mexico while visiting last Friday.  Your help and final assessment is most appreciated.  I am obsessed with the fact that when I take the first test in 8 weeks then again at 6 months it is curtains for me.  Signed ...Obsessed w/ Doom

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 04:29:02 pm »
ez,

Aren't all working gals carriers of HIV and other nasties?

You know, as a positive person myself, I find that statement of yours rather offensive. ANYONE can be infected with hiv and no, not all sex workers are hiv positive.

Once again, NOTHING you did or had done to you was risky for hiv - and you won't be allowed to use this forum to "obsess with doom" over this no-risk situation.

And by the way, the window period for hiv is THREE months, not six. But you do not need to test over this specific encounter as you had NO RISK.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ez2beme

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 05:36:32 pm »
Hello Ann,

First off I am so sorry if I offended you, that was a shallow statement on my part and I do apologise.  I am just not up to speed on the real facts and I understand your remarks that I was not at risk per say given the circumstances I had described.  Thank you for your openness and honesty.  I do however, ask if you would pls clarify the matter of what the risk assessment is regarding a possible needle attack by someone vicious enough to try something like this, it has been documented as having occurred so I have read.  I am trying desperately to get a grip on my emotions and to convince myself that my stupidity has not put me in a health danger when it easily could have.  Thank you again for being direct with me and for your advice on this matter.  Please, I hope you will accept my sincere apology for using a very bad way to convey a not so well thought out choice of words.  My intent, was never to attack anyone in this manner as we are all humans with feelings.  None of us are perfect including myself for starters.

Your services to help people are most appreciated, thank you and the team.

EZ   

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 05:42:03 pm »
Ez,

A vicious needle attack? Good grief. Perhaps you need to take notice of Ockham's Razor which, in basic terms, says "the simple answer is usually the right one". You've already answered your question:

. . . a jab from my insulin pen perhaps the day before and not noticing.

This sounds about right and is far more likely to explain your "injury" than a "vicious" needle attack, which presumably you would remember.

As Ann notes, you were not at risk. Let us hear no more of this "needle attack" rubbish.

MtD

Offline ez2beme

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 05:48:49 pm »
Matty,

You make some good points for thought, I agree no more discussion on what malkes no sense to repeat over and over.

Thanks!

EZ

Offline ez2beme

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 12:13:18 pm »
For anyone of the advisory board,

In hindsight, and given my first communication expressing my concerns, may I pls add another dimension to the episode in question?  Aside from the details already mentioned in the first msg...given I was quite well drunk at the time of my event i was obvisuely not in the best form to get hard, I have this problem even when not drinking due to my diabetes affecting my ability to get an erection a very frustrating problem to say the least.  I had tried my best under the circumstances to try and penetrate this person both with and w/o a condom.  At one moment w/o the condom I had tried to go inside but made it only to the outside of the vagina just sweeeping the front it lasted just moment and the prostiture actually became angry with me and tried to put the condom back on me still in a wimpy state.  The whole effort was a joke and she gave up in a major frustration.   I am concerned that for the few moments of trying to get in that this is enough to catch the disease.  This is probably all for nought as my better judgement says you must be well inside for the transmission to grab effect.  Can u pls clarify this aspect?

Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:24:49 pm »
Your hindsite doesn't change a thing. You didn't have penetrative sex and did not have a risk of contracting HIV.

Offline ez2beme

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 12:50:05 pm »
Thanks for clarifying.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 04:23:19 pm »
AND you do need to avoid mixing excessive drinking with casual sex. It's a mighty dangerous combination and has often affected someone's ability to negotiate safer sex resulting in tragic consequences. If there's either vaginal or anal intercourse going on it doesn't matter who the partner is or what their status, a condom for the insertive partner is a must everytime. No exceptions.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 04:35:54 pm »
I had tried my best under the circumstances to try and penetrate this person both with and w/o a condom.  At one moment w/o the condom I had tried to go inside but made it only to the outside of the vagina just sweeeping the front it lasted just moment

ez,

What you describe is called frottage. Frottage is the act of rubbing genitals together without penetration and it is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

Nothing you have reported has been a risk for hiv infection.

And you know what else? You assume that all sex workers are infected with sexually transmitted infections and it's because of men like you that any of them do end up infected with whatever. YOU tried to penetrate her without a condom and ~surprise~ she got mad at you and I don't blame her. While nothing you did can cause hiv transmission, you COULD have passed other, more easily transmitted infections to her. THAT'S why she got mad.

In future, keep the condom on. If you have erection problems, dispensing with the condom is not going to help. See your doctor - there are treatments available for your problem.

Ann

Ann
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:40:33 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ez2beme

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 04:50:21 pm »
Wanted to ask another question please...also after one week of my incident I received the test results of a full STD panel, everything was negative as a baseline starting point. OK that is a great thing to know.  Relating back to the incident of a week ago, I wanted to know, because I think it applied to me...almost certain because when I drink excessive amounts of beer as I did that particular night, I noticed the external creases points of my mouth were dry and irritated and do tend to bleed a slight bit.  This is post worrysome even though I understand all what has been said to me above.  Am I still in a safe zone? Do I need to test again in 6 weeks? My mouth creases are bleeding now due to just being dry and cracked.  Had this been the case last week when doing the unprotected oral thing what is your final say on this?  Nt crazy just worried.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 05:59:31 pm »
Enough already, no risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 07:35:24 am »
What Ann said to you, "nothing you did put you at risk," still applies.

It's just your mind going nutz. Move on with you're life.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.