Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:57:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 212
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tonsillectomy  (Read 16286 times)

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
Tonsillectomy
« on: January 24, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »
I'm scheduled to have my tonsils taken out on March 11th due to chronic tonsillitis and hypertrophy. My ID doc is on board with them coming out, but today at my regular visit with him, I asked what effect having them out would have on my immune system. He was honest with me and said he really didn't know. He said he was curious to see how having these stupid things that are constantly infected and inflamed removed will affect my CD4 count and such.

So... my question is... has anyone here had their tonsils out post-HIV? Or do any of you know about the effects of having the tonsils removed on a person with HIV? Any resources and info would be appreciated!

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Tonsillectomy
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:28:07 am »
My ID actually thought I'd had mine out (I haven't) and on a second glance he'd said I've had a massive infection in them before.  Which would make sense, because I used to have chronic problems with them.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:47:39 am »
I recently asked this question about tonsils, the spleen, and HIV in another thread.  But, now I can't remember which.  I'll have to look for it.  I'm getting ready to visit the doc about mine.  I began January with losing my voice and having this spot on one of my tonsils.  That lasted for a week, went away, and then came back a little--not as bad as before.  Since then, that tonsil seems like there is something going on with it.  I only have soreness when I swallow food or drink.  It always feels like something is stuck on my tonsil--like behind the tonsil where you can't see.    

So, after almost a month with it, I figured I should have it checked out.  I'm sure it is nothing, but it has made me think about the tonsils and HIV.  I'll be curious to hear what others say.  Just to point out--I'm not comparing my issue with yours.  I'm sure mine is nothing out of the ordinary.  You, obviously, have had real issues with yours.  The last time I had a similar issue was probably this time last year, so I'm sure mine is just one of those things that happen now and then.  When I had the problem before, I noticed this white stuff squeezing out from around my tonsils when I looked at them in the mirror and cleared my throat.  At that time, I was told it was no big deal and the tonsils often shed cells or something like that.  I can't remember the medical term.  This issue has just made me curious about them and the role they play with HIV.    

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:52:36 am »
Not to alarm you Ted but when I was REALLY sick I was having issues swallowing, it hurt like a mother fucker.  I had chalked it up to thrush, but who knows.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 01:19:07 am »
Not to alarm you Ted but when I was REALLY sick I was having issues swallowing, it hurt like a mother fucker.  I had chalked it up to thrush, but who knows.

This is why I thought I should have it checked out just to be on the safe side.  I didn't want to run off to the doc at first as I'm trying to not freak out about every little thing.  Plus, I haven't had a fever with this.  So, I thought after a month, it wouldn't be freaking out to have it checked out. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 01:25:02 am »
I recently asked this question about tonsils, the spleen, and HIV in another thread.  But, now I can't remember which.  I'll have to look for it.  I'm getting ready to visit the doc about mine.  I began January with losing my voice and having this spot on one of my tonsils.  That lasted for a week, went away, and then came back a little--not as bad as before.  Since then, that tonsil seems like there is something going on with it.  I only have soreness when I swallow food or drink.  It always feels like something is stuck on my tonsil--like behind the tonsil where you can't see.    

So, after almost a month with it, I figured I should have it checked out.  I'm sure it is nothing, but it has made me think about the tonsils and HIV.  I'll be curious to hear what others say.  Just to point out--I'm not comparing my issue with yours.  I'm sure mine is nothing out of the ordinary.  You, obviously, have had real issues with yours.  The last time I had a similar issue was probably this time last year, so I'm sure mine is just one of those things that happen now and then.  When I had the problem before, I noticed this white stuff squeezing out from around my tonsils when I looked at them in the mirror and cleared my throat.  At that time, I was told it was no big deal and the tonsils often shed cells or something like that.  I can't remember the medical term.  This issue has just made me curious about them and the role they play with HIV.    

IT'S A TOOMAH! UR GOING TO DIE!

Srsly Teddeh, you really are a drama queen of Gloria Swanson proportions.

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 01:45:46 am »
IT'S A TOOMAH! UR GOING TO DIE!

Srsly Teddeh, you really are a drama queen of Gloria Swanson proportions.

MtD

I know you're just joking, Matty.  I purposely stated more than once that I'm sure it is nothing serious and that I forced myself to wait several weeks before going to the doc, so that I didn't freak out and run to the doc over every little thing.  So, I know you're kidding me.  Because if I were a drama queen, I would think it was throat cancer.  I did just see the interview with Michael Douglas where he said he ignored throat issues before learning it was throat cancer.  He had a wait and see attitude.  Oh, he was losing his voice, too.  I did smoke for 15 years, so I bet it is throat cancer!!  I bet I'm one of those rare younger people who get throat cancer.  Now, that would be worthy of a drama queen statement.   :D   

Offline littleprince

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 02:10:51 am »
I began January with losing my voice and having this spot on one of my tonsils.  That lasted for a week, went away, and then came back a little--not as bad as before.  Since then, that tonsil seems like there is something going on with it.  I only have soreness when I swallow food or drink.  It always feels like something is stuck on my tonsil--like behind the tonsil where you can't see.   

I had major tonsil problems for a long time after I think I was infected. Not saying it was a direct result of but occurred at some point after. The feeling you describe of having something stuck on your tonsils may be tonsil stones. Kinda gross build ups of gunk in holes in your tonsils. I could feel when it would be building up and would flush the little buggers out.

My problems went on for years until I was treated with a high dose of steroids for a completely different problem. within a week my tonsils shrunk and haven't given me a single problem since. I've often wondered if there was a link between the HIV and the tonsil problems.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 08:09:35 am »
There has been a long debate about this issue.  If they're constantly inflamed, they're doing their job..  If they're removed, ????? 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 09:56:53 pm »
There has been a long debate about this issue.  If they're constantly inflamed, they're doing their job..  If they're removed, ????? 

I had my tonsils out when I was a kid.  Ted, Thats pretty much the problem I had.  They wee constantly infected to the point where it felt like there was something stuck on, or in, them.  At times (this is gross) but little white pieces of "stuff" would fall off my tonsils and I'd start gagging. 

SOOOO if thats the case with you I would at least get it checked out.  On the other hand, I'd like to know if there is something to not having them and HIV.  They also took out my adenoids at the same time (they are just like tonsils but they are somewhere up there by your nose (I think).

Good luck
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 10:08:55 pm »

The thing is, tonsils are lymph tissue, similar to the lymph nodes spread throughout the body. While my tonsils are constantly getting inflamed and infected, none of my other lymph nodes are. So apparently my tonsils are having issues when my body isn't fighting infections. How do I know this? My white blood cell count is actually a little low, so clearly no systemic infection! ID doc thinks its something weird just with the tonsils and they are malfunctioning in some way, lol.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

Offline bagavat

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 04:06:14 pm »
I had my tonsils out as a kid as well.  I am now 62.  I would definitely get several different opinions on this matter before I went ahead and had them taken out.  Try several ENT docs and you definitely should research this a lot online.  Maybe check with the Mayo Clinic or some other teaching hospital, etc.  HIV docs do not have any special knowledge about this.  But a general Infectious Disease doc might be a good consult.  Docs are all over the place on this and you might eventually find the right one who knows something the other ones dont and can treat your tonsils and maybe even cure the problems you are having without removing them.  The tonsils were put there for a purpose so yanking them out should be the last option not the first option.
Jerry

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 05:35:36 pm »
I had my tonsils out as a kid as well.  I am now 62.  I would definitely get several different opinions on this matter before I went ahead and had them taken out.  Try several ENT docs and you definitely should research this a lot online.  Maybe check with the Mayo Clinic or some other teaching hospital, etc.  HIV docs do not have any special knowledge about this.  But a general Infectious Disease doc might be a good consult.  Docs are all over the place on this and you might eventually find the right one who knows something the other ones dont and can treat your tonsils and maybe even cure the problems you are having without removing them.  The tonsils were put there for a purpose so yanking them out should be the last option not the first option.

I actually have been to see more than one ENT. And the doc following me for my HIV isn't just an HIV doc, he is board certified in both Infectious Disease medicine as well as Family Medicine. I've seen several other Family Medicine/Internal Medicine doctors for my tonsils over the years, and in fact have had problems with my tonsils since I was a child. Even my pediatricians were seriously considering taking them out but my parents didn't want to put me though it I think.

Neither ENT thought having my tonsils out would have any serious repercussions considering my immune status. The one who will be taking them out said he was confident it would have no effect at all. I was just asking if anyone here had any personal experience to back up what my doctors said!

*edited for spelling
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 05:59:38 pm »
Just found this:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SideEffects/Q172439.html

It pretty much says removing the tonsils won't effect my immune system. That's one source of confirmation. Any personal experiences guys and gals?
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 06:03:37 pm »
I had my tonsils and adenoids removed when I was about 5.  So, not sure if being poz makes it different, but I can say that I've never had any throat issues as an adult -- neg or poz.  I have heard that the procedure is "tougher" on adults than kids -- meaning the recovery is a bit more painful -- not sure why.

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 09:49:51 am »
I had my tonsils out when I was five or so because I kept getting tonsillitis. Never had any problems since aside from the occasional sore throat when I've got a head cold. I've been poz for fourteen years, no meds yet, so my lack of tonsils obviously hasn't had an effect on my hiv. 
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 09:57:03 am »
I was infected 07/2002.  I was getting strep throat about five times a year for two years when I finally went to an ENT and after one look they said, "Those need to come out!"  I had my tonsils removed April 2009.  I started meds October 2009, I would argue that any changes seen in my immune response were due to starting meds.  But... I haven't had strep throat since they were removed.  I haven't missed any work due to having strep throat.  I'm so glad they're gone.  I did have a few complications with surgery... I ended up with thrush afterwards and the scabs didn't fall off for about 16 days, when it should have been about 13-14.

But overall.. I'm glad they're gone!

Amanda
http://h1vpos1t1ve.blogspot.com/
amanda j.
Currently 28 weeks pregnant with a little boy...

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 04:41:11 pm »
I was infected 07/2002.  I was getting strep throat about five times a year for two years when I finally went to an ENT and after one look they said, "Those need to come out!"  I had my tonsils removed April 2009.  I started meds October 2009, I would argue that any changes seen in my immune response were due to starting meds.  But... I haven't had strep throat since they were removed.  I haven't missed any work due to having strep throat.  I'm so glad they're gone.  I did have a few complications with surgery... I ended up with thrush afterwards and the scabs didn't fall off for about 16 days, when it should have been about 13-14.

But overall.. I'm glad they're gone!

Amanda
http://h1vpos1t1ve.blogspot.com/

So.. just to follow up a little if you don't mind; have you responded "normally" to meds and everything? Did your doc mention anything about the tonsillectomy affecting your overall health? Thanks for the personal experience info! Great to hear someone else has had a similar experience!

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 04:51:11 pm »
My ID doc didn't say anything about the removal of my tonsils and the affects on my overall health.  However, I have been healthier.  I don't know as if there is a true, "normal" response to medications.  Every body is different.  I am reacting well to the medications and my numbers are currently (as of October 2010):

Cd4: 587
VL: 91
amanda j.

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 06:55:35 pm »
Cool, good to know a fellow pozzie has had their tonsils out and not gone downhill from it!
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

Offline poz_mo

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »
I am glad to hear you have until March to think about this. I went through a bad period with my tonsils in the late 80s, some time after I was in infected with the virus. They were constantly inflamed, and my doctor thought I should have them removed, although he told me that it is a very painful procedure for adults (sorry). He did recommend an option which I didn't really take seriously at first, but later did, as I really didn't like removing body parts unnecessarily. This is going to sound like a grandmother recipe, but hear me out, please. He told me to coat my mouth and throat with plain, unsweetened yogurt with live cultures every night before going to bed after brushing my teeth. Let the culture work uninterrupted on your throat all night while you sleep. At first the taste bothered me, but persevered. I began to notice a slow improvement over a few weeks time, and would you believe it, I haven't have a throat infection in over 20 years!. Every time I get the slightest uneasy feeling I do the yogurt treatment. I also avoid sugary drinks and sugar in general. Try it...I know it sounds simplistic, but it worked for me and I've thanked that doctor many times over the years. Our tonsils are there for a reason, otherwise they wouldn't be there. Thanks for listening and good luck. Please try this for a month!

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 02:04:03 am »
Not gonna lie... it was pretty painful.
amanda j.

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 07:36:28 pm »
Oh, I know its gonna suck big time. But I have to say, I've gone through some nasty pain when I had my chest surgery, the suture healed up, a vein burst in my chest, a pint or two of blood collected under the skin until the pressure was too much and my skin literally ripped open. I can handle pain, lol. I figure a couple weeks of pure suckiness is better than years and years more of sustained pain.

As for the plain yogurt, that may be great for treating yeast issues, but I don't have any infection that is noteworthy in my throat. I've had it cultured numerous times. I'm sure if any of the numerous doctors I've seen over my 20 or so years of having throat problems (probably at least 40 or so MDs, ARNPs, PAs, etc.) someone would have mentioned yogurt if they thought it would have done anything. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm glad it worked for you poz_mo.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 07:29:19 pm »
Well, I got a call from my ID/primary care doc today about the upcoming tonsillectomy, and he asked me if I would be willing to donate my tonsils to be used by HIV researchers in Boston. I was like, absolutely! I'm not going to be needing them, so I'd be glad to contribute them so they might help find out things that could help us all, or help others not get infected! Isn't this cool?

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 07:37:18 pm »
I'd be glad to contribute them so they might help find out things that could help us all

Thank you odyssey!

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 04:13:39 pm »
I had constant problems with my tonsils - infections, inflammation, etc.  I was likley poz at the time, which was no doubt the root cause - but not diagnosed then (long story.)  I had them out, recovery was very hard - painful, and for me, lots of bleeding.  I can tell you that it was definitely worth it - and no impact on my immune system.  Excellent response to being on meds, and throat issues completely gone. 

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 10:10:00 am »
Ok... You chums! 

I have had a sore throat for two days... I think talking about all this tonsils got my tonsil space thinking I might need strep throat again.  Argh. (<---- what the hell?  Am I a pirate?)

Hehe... Just kidding, but yeah, I have a sore throat.  If it persists and I end up with strep it will be the first time since my tonsils were removed.  Side note: The girl I've been kissing has a sore throat too.  (sad).

Have a happy Wednesday.
amanda j.

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 02:46:19 pm »
Still have a sore throat, day 2.5.  Sniffle...

I don't care.  I'm going to Oregon for the weekend, leave in eight hours!  Can't wait.
amanda j.

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 11:59:57 pm »
Well, my tonsils are coming out on Friday, and the excess tonsillar tissue left over after the hospital pathologist does his or her thing will be put in two different fluids (one fixative, one medium) and FedExed to the Reagen Institute at Massachusetts General Hospital to arrive into the excited (I'm imagining) hands of the researchers Saturday morning.

They were going to personally come up (about 2 hours away) and collect the tissue, but they are also biopsying the gastrointestinal tract of another study participant the same day and that seems to need their presence a bit more, lol.

So, by Friday evening I will be tonsil-less and my biohazard tonsils will be making there way across state lines to Boston to help save the world (okay, maybe not, but still they're doing cool things).

odyssey

P.S. You guys better write some interesting stuff while I'm recovering to keep me entertained!  ::) :P ;D :o
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 12:40:58 am »
Hi Ann,
this may be a little off topic, but 14 years with no meds, i'm just curious on how you found out you were positive.  i'm sure you have said before, but i'm fairly new here.  just curious..  I went thru a bad seroconversion so that was a big clue for me eventhouugh i tested every 6months.

mike
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 08:35:55 am »
Mike, I was only diagnosed because the person from whom I acquired my virus tested poz and he named me as a contact. Another woman had named him - she became very ill and was eventually diagnosed.

I also had a very severe seroconversion, but my doctor at the time told me it was "just some virus that would run it's course and go away." When I tested poz four years later, he had the nerve to tell me that if I had been a gay man and presented with the symptoms I had four years earlier, the first thing he would have done was test me for hiv. What a jerk. And yes, I know (for various reasons that I won't go into here) that the illness definitely was my seroconversion. My doctor (also the man's doctor) agrees with me.

My diagnosis explained a lot of things, but at the time I was also hep C positive and a lot of my problems were being caused by hiv accelerating the progression of my hep C. I did the treatment for hep C and no longer have it.

Sorry 'bout the brief hijack, Odyssey.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 01:05:56 pm »
I had my tonsils out when I was five or so because I kept getting tonsillitis. Never had any problems since aside from the occasional sore throat when I've got a head cold. I've been poz for fourteen years, no meds yet, so my lack of tonsils obviously hasn't had an effect on my hiv.  

Same here Ann, I was 2 maybe 3 yrs old , when I had my tonsils out, long time ago  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:31 pm »
I had my Tonny's out around 5 ish. I remember lots of Ice cream in the hospital. Then the memory evolves into my mother throwing me on a mattress in the living room when we got home and feeding me mashed potatos once a day.

-w
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 10:18:15 pm »
I had my Tonny's out around 5 ish. I remember lots of Ice cream in the hospital. Then the memory evolves into my mother throwing me on a mattress in the living room when we got home and feeding me mashed potatos once a day.

-w

Willy-

You know that whole mattress and mashed potato thing was Ms. P last weekend during your play session! Don't lie!

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.