Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 216
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: ACHES AND PAIN. HIV??  (Read 19680 times)

Offline nutiing77

ACHES AND PAIN. HIV??
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:53:29 pm »
Hello all...

I am a male had an encounter with another male. Protected anal, kissed, he gave me a bj, and i gave him oral -- but didnt insert his penis into my mouth. Sucked and licked the sides and shaft. No ejaculation. He did have pre cum earlier when we first started kissing, but did not see any when i was down there. He also had piereced nippled and i sucked on them a few times and he rubbed his penis along my rectum. No insertion.

I wasnt concerned about this until a few weeks later. I took an HIV test at 4 weeks, tested negative. A week later I developed a rash on my stomach. Itchy red bumpy. I also had a liver biopsy for something unrelated and the rash was around the area where the needle was inserted. My doctor said it might have been an allergic reaction. It alst 5 days. The day after the rash, i developed really bad arm aches. Not sore like after workign out, but hurting aches. a day later I developed a really bad headache. The arm aches continued. This lasted for 4 days --strong headache and arm aches. Then it turned into light headaches -- but still present -- and continued arm aches, shoulder aches, wrist and finger joint aches .. This has gone on for 4 weeks now. Not as strong as at first, but still present. durng this time, did not feel sick, just hurting. did not have a fever that i remember. I did have diarrhea a few days -- but not running to the bathroom diarrhea, just when i went at my normal times, it was diarrhea-ish. I also lost some weight, but may have been because i was so stressed out i wasnt eating breakfast or lunch for a few days -- so nervous.

I had another HIV test at 8 weeks post possible exposure. Negative. This test was at 2 weeks since the start of the aches.

1. Is it possible my body wasnt producing antibodies at the 8 week test because i had only been experiencing possible symptoms for 2-3 weeks?

2. How long after actual ARS symptoms does someone produce antibodies that can be detected?

3. If I experienced actual ARS symptoms at 5 weeks post exposure, would that push me out of the "most people seroconvert by 6 weeks" category since I would have started later than most people?

I know my risk was low but does anything there seem like a concer? Pre cum that possibly got onto the shaft and I didnt notice when I went down? Pre cum along my anus when he rubbed it? sucking on Piereced nipples -- i know that weird but couldnt that be a risk.

Ann andy and all...thanks for any help you can provide. I have been stressed out for two months (10 weeks now). I normally would not be this stressed out, but have never felt those aches and pains EVER, so I have no idea what else it could be for that long.

3. Do these sound like ARS symptoms , the rash, the aches?

Offline nutiing77

Re: ACHES AND PAIN. HIV??
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 01:13:21 pm »
I forgot to mention the guy says he is HIV negative, but I dont know for sure. Dont know him well enough to trust.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 02:08:48 pm »
Please read our lesson on transmission. You'll find a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section. You get the basics there about what's risky, which essentially comes down to unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse.

Being sucked and kissing are nil for risk. Sucking someone is theoretically risky but in real HIV life there aren't any solidly documented cases of transmission in that manner. The other activities you mentioned like nipple sucking are not risky.

You didn't need to test so it's no surprise you have tested negative.

As for your symptoms, if they persist you should be discussing them with your doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV.

We do recommend that anyone who's sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least annually and every six months is even better. Other STDs are much easier to get than HIV.

This time you're worrying without cause.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline nutiing77

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 02:58:46 pm »
Thanks Andy. should I get tested at 3 months since I already have been tested at 4 and 8 weeks.

I know my situation was low risk..just when the pains started kicking in i started to worry because of the timing. And have been susper stressed since then.

And i keep reading that nothing is conclusive until 3 months that i wonder if i can still test positive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 03:26:44 pm »
nut,

Andy didn't say your experience was low risk, he said it was nil risk. That means NO risk.

You do not need further testing over this incident. You ARE hiv negative.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nutiing77

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:26:02 pm »

Thanks Ann...

I know I should not be as worried as I am....I was even more worried before when my headaches and muscle aches were going on. It's just that I had never felt anything like that for that amount of time and it just coincided with that one encounter a few weeks earlier -- that seemed the only thing to attribute it to.  I know stress and worry can be to blame, but when the pains started I wasn't even worrying about HIV, which is why it made me worried. Because it just came on...then i started worrying.

8 weeks neg should be encouraging right? I know that 90 percent of this is irrational thinking... but i feel like getting a 3 month test will piut any fears or doubt to rest. I'm at 10 weeks now.

I would like to kow, however, how long after the onset of ACTUAL ARS symptoms does the body begin to produce antibodies?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 02:36:23 pm »
The body starts producing antibodies when on becomes exposed. However it's when ones body produces enough antibodies for the test to detect is when you can test.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 02:38:30 pm by RapidRod »

Offline nutiing77

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 02:46:53 pm »
Oh ok...so how long does it take for the body to produce enugh anibodies to be detected on a test?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:57:48 pm »
To have a conclusive result it is three months. You didn't have a risk to begin with so it is of no concern except for general knowledge.

Offline nutiing77

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 03:11:20 pm »
My mind has been drivin me less craszy than when i first posted.
And i even achieved some sort of peace...but I am still feling random aches along my forarms and joints..like elbows and wrists.

I am worried that I will have started to produce antibodies afer my 8 week neg test and that I will seroconvert by my 13 weeks test. How often does this happen with people?

I've read here and elsewhere that people with immune problems, cancer or undergoing chemo would produce enough antibodies to show up on a test that late -- I kow I dont have cancer and am not on chemo, but how do I know i do not have immune problems?

Also has there been cases of normally healthy people testing negative this late?

I know I am stressing myself out, but its just that i have never felt these kids of aches for this long of a time (going on my 5th week of headaches and arm aches and joint aches -- stringer first few days, but present everyday) CaN ANXIETY AND STRESS REALLY CAUSE ALL THIS? what worries me is that even on the ays I was calm and relaxed and had actually thought i moved on....i was feeling this...so if it iis stress related, why was i having it when i wasnt stressed?

Arent muscle and joint aches ARS symptoms?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 04:09:50 pm »
My mind has been drivin me less craszy than when i first posted.
And i even achieved some sort of peace...but I am still feling random aches along my forarms and joints..like elbows and wrists.

I am worried that I will have started to produce antibodies afer my 8 week neg test and that I will seroconvert by my 13 weeks test. How often does this happen with people?

THE AVERAGE TIME TO SEROCONVERSION IS 22 DAYS. ALL BUT THE SMALLEST NUMBER OF THOSE WHO ARE GOING TO SEROCONVERT DO SO WITHIN 4-6 WEEKS AFTER AN EXPOSURE TO HIV. IT WOULD BE RARE BEYOND RARE FOR YOU TO BE SEROCONVERTING AFTER A NEGATIVE RESULT AT 8 WEEKS.

I've read here and elsewhere that people with immune problems, cancer or undergoing chemo would produce enough antibodies to show up on a test that late -- I kow I dont have cancer and am not on chemo, but how do I know i do not have immune problems?

PLEASE BELIEVE ME. IF YOU HAD A SEVERELY DEPRESSED IMMUNE SYSTEM, WHICH IS WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT, YOU WOULD KNOW IT BECAUSE EVERYTHING STARTS COLLAPSING WHEN THAT HAPPENS.

Also has there been cases of normally healthy people testing negative this late?

A LATE SEROCONVERSION HAPPENS RARELY AND WHEN IT DOES IT'S THE FACTORS ALREADY MENTIONED WHICH ARE INVOLVED.

I know I am stressing myself out, but its just that i have never felt these kids of aches for this long of a time (going on my 5th week of headaches and arm aches and joint aches -- stringer first few days, but present everyday) CaN ANXIETY AND STRESS REALLY CAUSE ALL THIS? what worries me is that even on the ays I was calm and relaxed and had actually thought i moved on....i was feeling this...so if it iis stress related, why was i having it when i wasnt stressed?

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT YOUR SYMPTOMS.

Arent muscle and joint aches ARS symptoms?

THOSE ARE NOT IN ANY WAY HIV=SPECIFIC OCCURENCES.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 04:25:15 pm »
nut,

Let's not lose sight of the most important fact here: you did NOT have a risk!

Your test result is not going to change. You ARE hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nutiing77

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 02:38:55 pm »
Thanks Andy and Ann and others..

I know you must get frustrated with the kinds of questions from people in situations like me....

I am trying to be rational.. but it is difficult when you are feeling certain things in your body. Also when you read certain web sites, they offer varying information.

I want to be comfortable with my 8 week neg test, but some sites say people can develop antibodies after this point.

My fears about pre-cum and oral....some sites like you guys say  its not a concern for HIV.. others say there is a concern. 
I called the CDC hotline and they told me the mouth is a place to transmit HIV and they said it could take 6 months to test positive...
Other sites give the go ahead on oral sex.

So who do you believe? I trust you guys -- but reading others sites  plant seeds of doubt..And the headaches and body aches also plant seeds of doubt in my head.

I am just on a roller coaster f emotions. Some days I am okay..others I am depressed and withdrawn because of the possibility of HIV.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 03:03:12 pm »
I have no idea who you talked to on the hotline but the information that was given to you is old and no longer used by the CDC. You were never at anytime at risk.

Offline nutiing77

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 05:05:30 pm »
It was just the perosn that answered the CDC hotline..not sure if they are doctors or anything like that. It didnt sound like one..just someone they pay to answer questions.

It seemed like the answers were coming straight from some handbook  or something because when I would ask follow up questions to their answer..they would just go bvack and repeat what they ahd just said.

But thats my point....if the CDC is supposed to be trusted... then why do they have some random person answering questions. Again who do you trust? And I've read other forums that state the CDC hotline scared them more than quelled their fears.

Honestly, if my headaches were to go away I think I would be calmer. But I am still feeling things (now on my 6th week) what else is there to attribute it to. The timingg is too coincidental...although maybe not. I didnt start feeling them until 6 weeks after the incident. But again not sure if I just started feeling it late.

when a 3 month test is reccomended..is that 3 months to the date..12 weeks..13 weeks...days?

Offline nutiing77

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 06:59:54 pm »
And I now that most everyone says giving oral is low risk...

my concern is that although I did not insert his penis into my mouth...no ejacualtion...that pre cum (which he did have at some point) got onto his shaft without me noticing and i sucked it and got it into my mouth.

I was rubbing my lips on his penis (the sides again) and i remember brushing my teeth about 35 mins-40 mins before that ecnounter..so what if that pre cum (which again may or may nor have been there) got onto my gums if they were bleeding (i'm not even sure they were)

How bad do bleeding gums have to be to be considered a risk?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 07:04:41 pm »
You didn't even have oral sex. As you have been told you were never at risk. PERIOD.

Offline nutiing77

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 01:29:59 pm »
I had not even tought about my situation last summer for months... but the doubt and fear has crept back in.

It startd back up when i started developing headaches and some arm aches again in the past 2 weeks... similar but not as strong as the ones that i had when i was possibly exposed.

My question is.. how soon after one is infected with HIV does he/she start eeling side effects like headahes and muscle/joint aches?

Could it be I was infected.. had the ARS symptoms and am now feeling the initial onset symptoms of having HIV?

I tested at 8 weeks after my exposure and was negative but never went back to test again. I am scard.

Offline nutiing77

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 01:31:25 pm »
Again my major concern is that his pre-cum went into my mouth.

What kind of "bad oral hygene" are we talking about to make it condusive for transmission through oral?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 01:42:17 pm »
Reread all the replies that have been given to you previously. Nothing has changed, whatever is your reason to come back to the forum has nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 05:01:13 pm »
No, no, no! Just because you have "creeping thoughts" coming back into your mind doesn't mean we're going to flog this tired old non-risk with you all over again. You've gotten informed responses. As Rod suggested, re-read them.

And if you really can't let go of this unwarranted fear then I suggest you spend some time with a counselor or other professional to sort out why you're still dragging this around.

Really.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.