Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:50:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 644
Total: 645

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: nausea  (Read 3469 times)

Offline koi1

nausea
« on: December 30, 2006, 03:38:59 pm »
Hey, Guys,

Still have not started meds. Do any of you remember having nausea for hours after eating a normal sized meal? I just get this full feeling. I can usually only finish half of my dinner. My appetite is really bad. My doctor tells me this will get better after some time on meds. My weight continues to drop.

Is there anything that you guys know is good for nausea?

Rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
Re: nausea
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 05:06:47 pm »
Hey Rob.  I think we could use some more information?  Is it the smell of food bringing on the nausea or only sitting down to a meal that it starts?  Have you tried 'other' foods, things you might not normally have as a way of tricking yourself into eating?  You appetite is bad so, not surprisingly, you find yourself full after half a meal.  Have you thought about trying lot's of tiny to small meals to keep the food going in?  How about one of those shakes even if tried by the swallow to keep the calories going down?  I have been on meds for too long to remember of time that nausea was pre-meds.  Wishing you success with this! Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Christine

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 07:29:22 pm »
I don't remember if I was nauseated before meds, but I do suffer from nausea from some of the meds now.

Eating small, frequent meals has helped. Grazing throughout the day instead of large meals. Ginger & hard pretzels helps. I have also used protein shakes, and Ensure or Boost to add calories.

When it is really bad, I have taken medication. For me Zofran helps, and when it was seriously bad, I used an IV med, Aloxi.

Keeping talking to your doctor. Perhaps an appointment with a nutritionist who understands hiv might help.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 07:47:16 pm »
Rob,

I felt that way for quite a while after being diagnosed. For me, it had nothing to do with hiv itself - it was simply knowing about it. It was the stress of being newly diagnosed, pure and simple. That might be what is up with you as well.

Make sure you mention it to your doc.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 07:54:02 pm »
Hello Koi,

I am only speaking for myself...,I never had a problem with nausea prior to starting on meds, either before eating or after. Most of my problem with the digestive tract started about  3 months prior to starting on meds. This is the period of time, when I had esophageal thrush, and it was almost impossible to eat anything, let alone eat a sufficient quantity of food.. But never Nausea

I also have to state, that even after starting on meds, there were probably only two occasions where I had some nausea.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 08:40:50 pm »
Yes, I AM Supporting You!

Hello Rob its me...

This is not a coincidence.

I too have experienced the same thing that you are now currently going through with nausea. There is no need for you to explain any further. I will answer your question based on my experience of what I lived through in this life.

There was a time where I was rapidly loosing weight and I could not keep my food down. Granted this had occurred shortly after my Severe Panic Attack that I had experienced due to a number of years of accumulation from stress, anxiety and mild depression.

Mainly what had occurred was that my body was actually rejecting what I was putting into it due to my raised level of inner anxiety that was not under control at that time. My CD4 counts were rather low and there was so much that was going on with my body's system and its functions.

What I had discovered was that I was mainly Nauseous when I was upset or disturbed emotionally inside of me. This was a direct result of my inner anxiety because of what was going on and what had occurred in my life at that particular point.

Once I got a grip on what was going on inside of me internally, I had then was able to start eating and was able to hold my food down. Once I had started my meds, my weight gained had increased significantly as I had became bloated so to speak.

After a period of adjustment with my body's physical workings, my weight had readjusted to what its normally accustomed to and I was eating like a horse. Since then I have monitored what I eat and I portion it out throughout the day.

So what I am saying is this. There is a lot that is going on inside of your body internally due to the accumulation of stress, anxiety, and Yes, a mild depression due to the impact of the realization of being infected by HIV/AIDS.

There can, may or will be other symptoms that are involved with you right now. The stress of your family and other associations that you are experiencing, your inner anxiety is at its all time high right now. It is up to you to render its erratic behavior right now and to get it back under control.

What worked was Chicken Soup and Saltine Crackers to keep something on your stomach. Your body is in need of its nutrients in order to have your Red Blood Cells carry these necessities throughout your system. By you eliminating the drinking, that also is a factor that is involved because your body is also going through a period of readjustments.

On a rare occasion even now, I may have a bit of Nausea when there is something that disturbs me internally that affects my internal anxiety indirectly. However, overall you will get through this stage that you are dealing with as your body is under a lot of pressure right now.

My advice to you from a friend to a friend is to do whatever you can to let go anything that is bothering you, keep the stress levels at a minimum, try not to keep anything on your chest bottled up inside of you....talk it out, and to eliminate any "What Ifs" if they may be present, and to focus as much as you can on you and to take care of you.

I am honest and open with you today to share this with you as an effort from a real life's truth's experience to encourage you and to possibly give you some sort of insight on the situation that is presently occurring right now in your life. From a friend to a friend. See what you can do in order to get your meds started in order to initiate operation viral load suppression in order to start getting your immune system back on its road to recovery.

Recovery does take time in this case. Hang in there and this too shall pass. You are doing the right things and asking questions helps as well as reinforce you with reassurance. Take care.

Eldon

Don't You Dare Give Up... Don't You Dare Give In...
BECAUSE It IS ALL Within YOU to WIN!!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 08:49:20 pm by Eldon »

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 08:43:31 pm »
Ginger tea really helps.

As does this stuff called Emetrol... which is essentially a glucose syrup that does a really brilliant job of coating your stomach... I swear by it. 
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 03:25:38 am »

I would get bouts of nausea before I started meds.   Especially if I ate a heavy meal.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.