Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:51:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 376
Total: 377

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Fresh wound to fresh wound possible exposure.  (Read 11135 times)

Offline green12222

• Standard
Fresh wound to fresh wound possible exposure.
« on: August 18, 2013, 08:37:36 pm »
Hi everyone

Im very worried and need some advice and reassurance.

6.5 weeks ago I had a possible exposure with another male. He is in the Army and assured me before and after that he is HIV Negative and does not have any STDs. He also said they get tested regularly and tested negative 3 months ago.

The possible exposure is I gave him unprotected oral for about 40 seconds before putting a condom on him. I had bleeding gums from brushing my teeth an hour before. It was dark and I was very intoxicated but I did not see any pre cum or any visible sores.

Then I gave him oral for another 5 minutes with no ejaculation. He gave me unprotected oral for about 30 seconds. I have shave earlier that night.

I was the receptive partner for anal sex. We used a little bit of water based lube. He assured me the condom did not break and that he came in the condom. My memory is hazy so I was worried.

I had some symptoms around the second week but I dont believe we are allowed to talk about them in our posts.

I tested negative for HIV with an antibody test, and negative for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea in my urinary tract at 4 weeks.

I was put on Doxycyline Hyclate and Cefyproxil a week later. Could these antibiotics affect my 6 weeks result.

I also tested negative for Hiv and Syphillis at 6 weeks.

Ive been having headaches and a very mild sore throat recently.

What do you guys advise me to do? Im scared and cant think clearly. I just need some advice. I have no one else to talk to.

My GP laughed at me but the nurse at the STD clinic was very understanding.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Risk Assesment Pleaz Very Worried!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 08:45:52 pm »
You didn't have an exposure and can relax . Your saliva has enzymes and proteins that damage HIV and rendering it unable to infect , so no risk with the oral sex .

There have been no fewer than three separate serodiscordant couples studies (where one person is HIV positive, the other negative.) These couples were tracked for three. five and ten years. The couples used condoms for penetrative vaginal and anal sex, but NO BARRIER at all for oral sex. Any kind of oral sex.

These studies yielded NO infections.

The antibiotics will not interfere with your HIV test ... use condoms for vaginal and anal sex consistently and correctly and you will not have an exposure to HIV , its that simple .

Do yourself a favor and stop worrying over this no risk encounter .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline green12222

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:02:47 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Should I test out to 3 months because of the anal sex?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:13:45 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Should I test out to 3 months because of the anal sex?

You said the condom was intact so that wasn't a risk and you do not need to test over this incident . If you have doubts about the condom then you can test purely for peace of mind . An HiV test never hurt anyone . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline green12222

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 07:53:08 pm »
He assured me several times the condom did not break but i did not have visual confirmation if it did or did not.

Do you think my 4 and 6 week HIV negative antibody tests  are a good sign in my situation.

I plan on testing for oral gonorrhea due to my current slight sore throat. Also at 3 months for HIV, herpes, and syphilis.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:00:11 pm »
He assured me several times the condom did not break but i did not have visual confirmation if it did or did not.

Do you think my 4 and 6 week HIV negative antibody tests  are a good sign in my situation.

I plan on testing for oral gonorrhea due to my current slight sore throat. Also at 3 months for HIV, herpes, and syphilis.

Well I certainly would not resist encouraging a person to get a full STD panel at any rate, though I wonder if this isn't anciety more than anything else ruling your decisions.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:01:18 pm »

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Most who are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. For various reasons a small number will take longer and that is why we follow the CDC recommendation to test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.

Your 6 week test isn't likely to change . I would think you would know if he ejaculated in you , so the condom probably didn't break . 

Its good you are planning a sexual health checkup that includes all stds , its the responsible thing to do and certainly cant hurt to have it done .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline green12222

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 11:21:49 pm »
Thank you guys for your great responses but I need some more help.

2 days past my 6 weeks mark I developed post nasal drip with a very very mild sore throat. It lasted a little over a week and I can slightly feel it today. I tried mucin ex and Claritin. I also have slight joint pain in my knee.

I also just noticed 3 small dots the size of 0.5 cm on the left side of my chest they are red but do not hurt or itch.

I just wanted to ask you all if post nasal drip is in anyway related to ars or early hiv infection.Could this be related to seroconversion. I haven't found a direct answer anywhere.

I keep reading this thread over and over and it's helping me keep calm until my 12 week mark. I'm scared that I might not have had detectable levels of antibodies at my 6 weeks test.

I also forgot to mention that I bled a small amount after the intercourse possibly from a previous hemorrhoid. Sorry if that's tmi. Would that change my risk from before.

It's driving me crazy. I'm sorry to keep this thread going after you guys told me not to worry. I'm just terrified and alone you guys are the only ppl I can really talk to about this and your knowledge and replies mean more to me than I could ever express to you guys.

At 12 weeks I'm going to get a full panel std test. And seek some sort of counseling for anxiety and OCD.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:34:34 pm by green12222 »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 12:06:59 am »
Hello!

First off, you have been advised repeatedly that you had no risk for HIV in the incident as you describe it. It was no shock that your 6 week test was negative, and I have all the confidence in the world that your 12 week test will also be negative.

Honestly, this seems more like anxiety focused on this sexual act(s) than anything else. And that's something that this forum is absolutely incapable of dealing with to any significant degree. Your decision to see a therapist is a sound one.

I highly recommend a counselor well-versed in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. That has shown great success at dealing with this very sort of anxiety/obsession.

I fear that if you wait to start therapy, you will distrust your 12 week test as well. That's a tragic rabbit-hole to fall into, and I certainly hope you do not.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline green12222

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 10:02:47 am »
Thanks for your quick reply.

Is post nasal drip related to ars in any way. I've had it since week 6.  I just need to know because I havent found a direct answer anywhere. and is 7.5 weeks too late for ars.

The reason I'm so freaked out is I read some stories about people getting infected even after using condoms. You guys seem alot more knowledgeablethan most sources i find.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 10:07:31 am »
Green,

Your six week negative is HIGHLY unlikely to change, not least because you did NOT have a risk.

NO, post-nasal drip is NOT related to ARS in any way, shape or form.

Give it up. You don't have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline green12222

• Standard
Precum in fresh scrape! Risk assessment please!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 10:45:53 pm »
What are the risk of hiv transmission if precum gets on a recently re opened scrape?

Th situation is I had precum at the end or my foreskin (uncircumsized). I touched my penis head and got precum on my fingers. Within seconds I accidentally touched my finger to someone's recently reopened scrape. The scrape was a few days old BUT it was recently reopened a few minutes earlier by vigorously scratching it. The scrape was not bleeding but it did have clear liquid  I believed was plasma. Then they scraped it again right after the contact. The skin was red and enflamed around it from the scratching.

If hiv was present in the precum and the viral load was high would there be risk for infection! Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm so scared right now. Please forgive me for starting a new thread I didn't think this one applied to my last. Please help!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 11:12:30 pm »
What are the risk of hiv transmission if precum gets on a recently re opened scrape?

Th situation is I had precum at the end or my foreskin (uncircumsized). I touched my penis head and got precum on my fingers. Within seconds I accidentally touched my finger to someone's recently reopened scrape. The scrape was a few days old BUT it was recently reopened a few minutes earlier by vigorously scratching it. The scrape was not bleeding but it did have clear liquid  I believed was plasma. Then they scraped it again right after the contact. The skin was red and enflamed around it from the scratching.

If hiv was present in the precum and the viral load was high would there be risk for infection! Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm so scared right now. Please forgive me for starting a new thread I didn't think this one applied to my last. Please help!

There is absolutely NO RISK in the situation you present. HIV is a VERY fragile virus and cannot remain viable outside the body.

Even if someone with a high viral load ejaculated directly onto a scrape or rash or cuticle, it would NOT transmit HIV. HIV is not only very gragile, but it can ONLY onfect certain types of cells. Cells that are not found outside the body, and even then not everywhere on the body.

If you ue a condom for penetrative anal and vaginal sex you will avoid HIV. No other sexual scenario outside the realm of dark, dark life-endangering kink could ;ossibly be of any danger.

You were in no risk from pre-ejaculate on a scape, even an opened one.

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 11:43:41 pm »
Please post all your questions in this thread only . If you have trouble finding your thread go to your profile and select show own post and it will take you here .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline green12222

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 08:08:44 pm »
I have two more important questions. Im very very scared that I might have infected someone from the previous post. Im so scared and im on the edge.

1. The scrape in question broke the top layer of skin it was a little deeper than the average scrape but was not openly bleeding. When I touched it im afraid I might have pushed my precum in the cut. Does that increase his risk.

2. Its been 9 weeks 3 days since the my anal sex incident and this weekend I think I might be seroconverting. I had sore muscles in my thighs, butt, and lower back. I developed a rash on my penis head and on my foreskin. I also had an ulcer on the side of my tongue. The rash and soreness lasted roughly 3 days but the ulcer is still there. I did not get a fever. Can ars happen this late and will a rapod oral test be accurate at 10 weeks.

Im not afraid for myself anymore im terrified I coukd have infected someone I love. The precum in scratch happened 3 days after my incident.

Im sorry for repeatedly bothering you guys but im so afraid. Any advice would be great.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:23:07 pm by green12222 »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 08:35:22 pm »
My afvice would be to reread your thread. Were there the slightest risk for HIV infection we would have told you.

All of these tests are for your peace of mind only. You had no risk.

Moreover, the rash that sometimes accompanies ARS is located on the trunk/torso, not the extremeties nor the penis.

I certainly hope that you get tested for all the other, far more eaily transmitted STDs out there when you get your inevitably negative HIV test.

Please take the time to re-read your thread. We have already answered your questions.

Welcome Thread

Offline green12222

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 09:01:34 pm »
Thank you for the quick reponse. Im just fell in to this state of panic after this weekend.

Ive read my thread over and over before posting.

Is 9.5 week too late for ars and how deep would the wound have to be to pose a risk to the other person.

Im sorry for dragging this thread on I just cant think clearly.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 09:21:57 pm »
Apparently your are not reading or paying any attention to the replies you have been given.

You didn't have an exposure!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 09:31:19 pm »
Thank you for the quick reponse. Im just fell in to this state of panic after this weekend.

Ive read my thread over and over before posting.

Is 9.5 week too late for ars and how deep would the wound have to be to pose a risk to the other person.

Im sorry for dragging this thread on I just cant think clearly.

If you were, say, a medical first responder. You find yourself at the scene of a brutal accident. The person trapped in a car has HIV and a high viral load. You are trying to assist him/her while reaching through the jagged metal of his torn car.

You slip.

Your arm is gashed open on the sharp metal, and you slip, falling wrist fdeep into the bowels of the poor man you were trying to help. What started out as "applying pressure to the wound" becomes "immersed in hemorrhaging person."

This is called an "occupational exposure" and is almost always end up with the emergency first reponder being given PEP and not becoming infected. But that is what constitutes a risk insofar as wounds are concerned.

You had no risk in the scenario you described. Had there been the slightest risk we would have told you.

Welcome Thread

Offline green12222

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 10:31:25 pm »
Thank you for the clarification.

The rash and soreness dont bother me but the mouth ulcer on my tongue does. Its the combination of the 3 that scares me. They lasted under 3 days.

Is 9.5 weeks too late for ars and seroconversion. I had mono when I was younger could that delay production of abtibodies.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 11:06:05 pm »
Thank you for the clarification.

The rash and soreness dont bother me but the mouth ulcer on my tongue does. Its the combination of the 3 that scares me. They lasted under 3 days.

Is 9.5 weeks too late for ars and seroconversion. I had mono when I was younger could that delay production of abtibodies.

It would be extremely unlikely to seroconvert so late, and having Mono would NOT in any way impact your HIV testing window.

You have been repeatedly told that there is no risk, and I honestly don't think coming back here over and over will impart more information. As a matter of fact, it might be hurting.

Please take note of this message in the sticky thread at the top of this page:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=220.0

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Welcome Thread

Offline green12222

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 09:29:38 pm »
I had a rapid hiv test done at exactly 10 weeks. It was a Clear View 15 minute finger prick test. The results came back negative.

Im just afraid that if I was experiencing Ars at 9 weeks 3 days that I tested too close to the symptoms for anything to be detected.

I have 4 more days for my 12 week mark. I've been doing a lot better staying off google. I just want to update my thread so maybe it can help other people going through the same situation before my subscription expires.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 10:30:46 pm »
What part of you didn't have an exposure is it you are incapable of comprehending?

Offline green12222

• Standard
Fresh wound to fresh wound possible exposure.
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 11:14:49 pm »
Me and a woman I do not know we're unloading a cargo vehicle. While unloading she cut her hand on a piece of aluminum and began bleeding. With seconds I finished unloading the other end and cut my hand on the EXACT piece of aluminum. It removed a centimeter of my epidermal layer and began to bleed within seconds. I checked the shard of metal and could not see any blood on it. She and I were bleeding quite a bit from the wounds.

Would this be considered a risk since the cuts were deep and happen very close together in time. I left a piece of flesh on the shard but did not see any blood. Should I be worried or let this go. I spoke to a nurse at a gum clinic and she said it was a low risk but a risk none the less, she said i should be more worried about tetanus and hep b. What do you all recommend?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Fresh wound to fresh wound possible exposure.
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 11:56:11 pm »
Me and a woman I do not know we're unloading a cargo vehicle. While unloading she cut her hand on a piece of aluminum and began bleeding. With seconds I finished unloading the other end and cut my hand on the EXACT piece of aluminum. It removed a centimeter of my epidermal layer and began to bleed within seconds. I checked the shard of metal and could not see any blood on it. She and I were bleeding quite a bit from the wounds.

Would this be considered a risk since the cuts were deep and happen very close together in time. I left a piece of flesh on the shard but did not see any blood. Should I be worried or let this go. I spoke to a nurse at a gum clinic and she said it was a low risk but a risk none the less, she said i should be more worried about tetanus and hep b. What do you all recommend?

What you have described it NOT a risk for HIV.

HIV is far too fragileto remain viable on a surface for any length of time. ANY length. The nurse youi spoke to was sadly uninformed about the real risks of HIV transmission.

Other pathogens such as Hepatitis can be more robust, and make that journey (though even then the odds are slim) but absolutely NOT HIV.

You do not need to test over this incident as described.

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Fresh wound to fresh wound possible exposure.
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 06:09:41 am »
Green,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You have been told about not starting new threads before.

You have also been repeatedly told about what is and what is not a risk. You don't seem to be paying attention to a single thing said to you.

I suggest you seek the help of a mental health professional so you can get to the bottom of your over-the-top hiv phobia and do something about it. We cannot help you with that here.

If you insist on coming back with more whatiffs about this latest NO HIV RISK situation, you WILL be given a time out. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

It does not matter if you've taken out a subscription. Our posting rules still apply.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.