Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:27:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 619
Total: 621

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV and Getting out into the Private Workforce  (Read 4528 times)

Offline TheRoof

HIV and Getting out into the Private Workforce
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:26:13 pm »
Hello, I am graduating college in about 8 months. One of the comforts I had was the access to Government-owned health insurance.

When I get out in the workforce. I know that I will have to go with a private healthcare plan. If I get a job for about 50,000 what is the maximum amount of income they are allowed to charge from my income?
For example if I make 100,000 a year versus 45,000. Will a person have to pay on a sliding scale? Or is it fixed. That after a certain amount the marginal utility of health insurance doesn't become important anymore. If you are someone who has another condition. Are there caps allowed to be charged on people who have disabilities like HIV? If there are any links or advice. That would be appreciated.

Because somebody is paying for me. (But my parents are poor and so am I) I work, but mostly go to school. So I have very little income to just get by. Sometimes when I look at the expense of doctors, lab tests, I feel guilty of having government-mandated health insurance. BUT, on the other hand I am extremely lucky that I have access to it.

(retail costs, include)
$350 for lab tests?
$150 per doctors visit?
$1000's of dollars for HIV Meds

I guess it makes sense though. In a capitalist society, if you want innovation. You gotta pay for it. I think I can see some justification of the cost. But I definitely would be interested in studying "The Economics of Healthcare." And whether the costs are justified or not.

What are your thoughts?

Offline klipsch

Re: HIV and Getting out into the Private Workforce
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:36:22 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by having to get into a private healthcare plan? Are you assuming that you won't be able to pick up insurance if it's offered by your employer due to previous existing conditions? Personally...I've never had any application or claim denied based on existing medical conditions going in the door. But maybe I just got lucky? I'm not usually lucky like that. But if nobody asks...I wouldn't offer up any unsolicited medical history.

If you get in with a company that offers health insurance...it's usually a set rate deducted from your pay that's the same as everybody else's in the company. My last company used to have a broker shop out new insurance plans every year. Two different plans would be available. The base plan with higher deductibles, copay's and prescription cost...and a buy-up plan for the "high utilizer's"...which costs more on a per deduction bases, but has lower deductible's, copay's and prescription costs. It's not typically calculated on a percentage of what you earn...but I do remember the last round being similar to the above...but the buy-up was $X.XX for those earning up to $70K and $XX.XX for those earning more.

Best of luck!
when shit has value...the poor will be born without assholes...

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:43:53 pm »
I dont think you understand the health care sytem.  If you work for a company that puts you into a GROUP health plan, this is a shared expense with the company.  I think (as I am not an expert) that some companys pay 100% of the cost of your health plan.
When you go in for tests and bloodwork this is charged to your health plan, which pays for most of the cost. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:45:40 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:59:40 pm »
I dont think you understand the health care sytem.  If you work for a company that puts you into a GROUP health plan, this is a shared expense with the company.  I think (as I am not an expert) that some companys pay 100% of the cost of your health plan.
When you go in for tests and bloodwork this is charged to your health plan, which pays for most of the cost. 

The size of a company also matters. A large company can more easily take the "hit" of an expensive, chronic ailment and it's treatment. A smaller one would see it's premiums skyrocket. In some smaller companies, HR is a joke - and a sieve of information. Someone entering the workforce with HIV needs to carefully consider this before taking a job that might end up tragically temporary.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline klipsch

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:35:49 pm »
After working for the same company for 5 years, it wasn't the insurance claims that took me out. But after I disclosed my status to my new boss...my position in the company was eliminated within 60 days.  ::)
when shit has value...the poor will be born without assholes...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.