Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:37:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 636
Total: 636

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Okay, this is freaking me out  (Read 3986 times)

Offline DanielMark

Okay, this is freaking me out
« on: September 19, 2006, 03:15:27 pm »
After returning from a very nice day in the country yesterday, I arrived on the floor of my building to find a police officer just around the corner from my apartment door - just standing there.

My first thought was - domestic dispute - and he's waiting to see if the offender returns. So I carried on with my evening. There was at one point a knock at my door and through the peep hole I could see some guy standing there with an ID tag. I didn't connect the two events and thought it was probably just another pesky salesman or something, so I didn't bother opening the door. Now I think he was likely a reporter. No one from police services has tried to contact me for any info I might have.

Then this morning when I was leaving there was an empty chair in the hall at the same location where the police officer was yesterday. Okay, so I thought someone must have waited all night for the offender, got him, and left.

Now I find out through a news report about this horrifying attack on a woman (see police news releases below). I know it was the same attacker as his name is listed on the entry door list of occupants.

Since they knew each other, he was obviously no threat to me. However, the thought that he may have kept her confined right next door and I heard nothing, well, it's distressing to say the least. It's not a good feeling to think you've been living so close to someone this mentally unbalanced.

Please join me in praying (if you pray) that this woman recovers from her injuries.

Daniel

Ottawa Police Service - Media Room - News Releases

For Immediate Release: 19/09/2006

Update #2: Woman in serious condition after overnight assault

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday September 19, 2006, 4:45 am

(Ottawa) - The Ottawa Police Service investigators have
charged John Dennis, 42, of Ottawa, in relation to this
incident. He will be appearing in court this morning.

The charges laid are:

attempted murder
aggravated assault
forcible confinement

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday September 18, 2006, 5:50 pm

(Ottawa) - The Ottawa Police Service investigators have
arrested a 42 year old man in relation to this matter. He
is presently in custody.

Although the female sustained severe wounds, they are
considered non life-threatening injuries.

This incident was not a random attack. Both the female and
the arrested male knew each other.

The investigation continues.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday September 18, 2006, 7am

Woman in serious condition after overnight assault

(Ottawa) - At about 6am this morning, an unconscious woman
was found, near a bike path beside Britannia Park by a
cyclist. The woman was treated by paramedics and
subsequently transported to hospital. Her injuries are
life threatening.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 03:31:00 pm by DanielMark »
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline ademas

Re: Okay, this is freaking me out
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 03:27:11 pm »
Yep, that's way too close to home...very unsettling.
I'll send some good recovery thoughts her way.
xox

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 03:43:01 pm »
Thank you Ademas.

Right now she's in a medically-induced coma. I hope she comes out of it okay. :(

I'm just a little bit in shock is all. It's not that Ottawa doesn't have its share of murders, only they don't usually happen this close to home.

I'll get over it, but I just can't harden my heart or pretend not care.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 04:33:59 pm »
That is one helluva scary story. No wonder you're spooked. Really shocking when it literally comes that close to home.

Hope you're able to start getting past it, Daniel.

Big cheers, bud.

Andy Velez

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 08:14:19 am »
I have a newspaper delivered everyday and everyday I read about such occurences...
It's down right unsettling for sure.......
Hope she recovers quickley....but I suspect she'll be needing a whole lot of therapy
in the future.

In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:40:43 pm »
Thanks guys,

Yes I am over the intitial shock now, tho still deeply concerned about her even tho I have never met the woman.

Here's the latest I have on the case:

Ex-boyfriend charged in bike path slashing

Woman still in coma after Britannia attack

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A man accused of slashing the throat of his 44-year-old ex-girlfriend and leaving her for dead along a Britannia Park bike path made a brief court appearance on an attempted murder charge yesterday.

Wearing blue prison-issued coveralls, John Dennis appeared confused as he scanned the courtroom during the short hearing on charges of attempted murder, aggravated assault and forcible confinement following a Monday attack on Karen Parker.

With thinning salt-and-pepper hair, Mr. Dennis wore large, thick, round glasses and didn't speak during the hearing. He was remanded into custody pending a Friday bail hearing.

Ms. Parker, a Kanata massage technician, remained in an induced coma at the Ottawa Hospital's Civic campus yesterday after being found lying near the Britannia Beach bike path by a cyclist at about 6 a.m. Monday.

Hours later, police arrested Mr. Dennis, 42, at his Woodridge Crescent apartment where officers executed a search warrant yesterday.

Ms. Parker's relatives told the Citizen she had known Mr. Dennis since high school. According to her family, the two had drifted apart until a chance encounter at a Bells Corners bank a year-and-a-half ago.

They started dating, but had broken up more than three months ago. However, Ms. Parker had told her mother she planned to visit Mr. Dennis on Sunday night.

The next morning, the part-time cake decorator at a Kanata Loblaws was found semi-conscious and clinging to life. Her car, a 2007 Honda Fit, was parked in a lot a few metres away.

The former Algonquin College student had been looking forward to starting a new job at The Spa on Robertson Road on the day of the attack.

It's believed Ms. Parker, who did not have any defensive wounds, likely didn't see her attacker coming and had her throat slashed from behind.

Due to the severity of her injuries, she will not likely be able to speak to investigators for at least a week, her family said yesterday.

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Christine

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:14:36 pm »
That is horrible. I hope she heals quickly.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 04:33:52 pm »
Me too, Christine, but it's unlikely given the severity of her injuries.

Violence against women (well anyone) is a serious topic to me. Maybe because as a Gay person I've been on the receiving end of violence myself throughout my life. Such a senseless act.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DanielMark

An Update
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 03:40:21 pm »
No bail for accused in knife-attack

Monday, September 25, 2006

John Dennis, the 42-year-old man accused of cutting the throat of his ex-girlfriend was denied bail Monday.

Standing inside the glass-enclosed prisoner's box, Mr. Dennis looked at his father and brother in shock after Justice of the Peace John A. Balkwill read his reasons for detaining the Britannia area resident until his trial.

Mr. Dennis, who is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and forcible confinement, had shown no emotion throughout the two-day show-cause hearing.

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.