Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 354
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Colds and HIV  (Read 22315 times)

Offline Shakur251

Colds and HIV
« on: January 01, 2007, 11:01:50 pm »
I had a few sewing needles in a box on the bus and a 2 kids wanted to see them so i let them. THe kids started poking themselves with the needles and drew blood. I asked them if it hurt and in reply with one of the needles he lightly poked me with it (don't know for sure whether or not he poked me with a needle that he had been pokeing himself with, but there is a posibility that he did). I didnt bleed but the very tip of the needle might of punctured my skin. My question is if I am at risk of getting HIV. Again,  it was a solid needle, and i think only the tip punctured my skin(i did not bleed), but the blood on the solid needle could have been fresh blood. I'm pretty worried so can someone please answer.
Thanks

Offline RapidRod

Re: Sewing needle with fresh blood
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 11:10:52 pm »
You did not have a risk for HIV infection. Please read the "Welcome" thread and read the lessons on transmission.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 02:22:17 am »
Tell them next time they feel inclined to poke you that you are going to sew their hands together. This incident hasn't hasn't placed you at risk for exposure.

Regards

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:33:59 am »
good luck, I know how scared you must be. i think you'll be just fine though.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 08:27:05 am »
scaredgirl, please keep all your thoughts and guestions in your own thread.

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 11:58:52 am »
Why do you guys think that i'm not at risk for  infection? I mean there could've been fresh blood. Can you give me some reasons.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 12:02:33 pm »
http://web.archive.org/web/20000621193159/http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/faq5a.htm Read the last paragraph. This is one of the reasons we can be sure.

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 12:13:54 pm »
So you're saying that I dont need to be tested and that I'm fine. Are you totally sure? B/c I think i heard from some place that fresh blood on a sewing needle carried some risks. CAn you tell me how sure you guys are. Because I dont want to be thinking of this for the next 10 years. I want to be sure.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 12:17:39 pm »
I'm not going to continue to go over this again and again and again. Go test, get you negative result so this can be put to an end. You were given the facts and that is all we can do. Don't come back complaining of the anxiety you have from getting the test and having to wait on the results.

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 12:47:05 pm »
I just want to know two things
Can Hiv be transmitted with a solid/sewing needle that has Fresh blood on it?
Would HIV be able to be transmitted if  only the tip of the needle pierced the skin and you didnt bleed?

I am not being redundant, no one has answered thesee questions directly yet.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 12:52:24 pm »
Those questions have already been answered. No matter how many times you change the wording or ask it, the answers are always no and no.  So rather than continuing to repeat yourself, go get your negative test result and hopefully that will stop this obsessing.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 12:53:40 pm »
NO, you can not get infected in that manner with a sewing needle. And yes, I myself answered it in the very first post to you.

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 01:06:03 pm »
Aight guys thanks for the info and help. Idont think ima get tested tho. I'm confident that I'm negative.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 07:34:42 pm »
Why does CDC call percutaneous exposure from a solid/sewing needle a risk (even if they call it a less severe risk) when there has been no case ever of HIV being spread by a solid needle?
Put the URL to where you said the CDC made that statement.

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 01:32:57 pm »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 04:32:25 pm »
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/513928

CDC Updates 2001 Guideline on HIV Prophylaxis Following Occupational Exposure  

www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/00039830.htm
Case-Control Study of HIV Seroconversion in Health-Care Workers After Percutaneous Exposure to HIV-Infected Blood -- France, United Kingdom, and United States, January 1988-August 1994

Your little stick is not what the two URLs you posted are even talking about.

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 04:47:13 pm »
wat are they talking about?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 04:48:43 pm »
Hypodermic Needles.

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 04:52:58 pm »
On the second link 5th paragraph it talks about Solid needles

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 05:06:37 pm »
And again it involves healthcare workers with occupational exposures. ie. EMG needles, suturing needles.

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 05:11:06 pm »
So everyone here is 100% sure that I am negative and that a sewing needle with fresh blood on it cannot transmit HIV. Because according to aidsmeds.com lesson on transmission if there is even a slight risk, you should get tested. You all are totally sure that I am at no risk whatsoever.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 05:17:20 pm »
You can test till the cows come home. I don't think anyone has told you not to test. Anyone that goes on and on about a non risk issue will go test and go through the process of not coming back with their results or come back so we can say, "We told you so." It's your dollar, I personally don't care if you test or not. You asked the questions and you were given the facts. Do what you have to do.

Offline wtgr

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 05:43:19 pm »
Those of you saying there is NO risk of infection are simply incorrect and should re-asses your understanding of HIV transmission.

In this case, the risk is extremely low however, there is still risk. ANY blood to blood contact contains risk of transmission of any number of infections.

Go and get tested for the usual Heps and HIV.

As the others have all said, the most likely result from this needle will be nothing.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 05:53:17 pm »
Shakur, there's never been a case of transmission via a sewing needle and you aren't
going to make history by becoming the first.

"Theoretically" HIV might be transmitted in various ways. But in actuality in the real world it just doesn't happen. It's troubling that WT has stirred the worry pot by raising the issue of "extremely low" risk. Unfortunately, if you search on the net you will always find something there to confirm your worst fears, even when they are theoretical rather than actual.

Your situation is really about what ifs. What if one of the children was HIV+ and what if some of his blood got on to the needle and what if that needle punctured you while the blood was still viable, etc., etc.

I don't see any need for testing. Bbut if you need to do that for your peace of mind then by all means go ahead and get tested to collect the inevitable negative result.

Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 07:11:50 pm »
wtgr,

You are in no position to give advice on this forum. Please take your scare-mongering elsewhere. Any further posts of this nature will be deleted, and you're running the risk of being banned. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wtgr

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 09:08:18 pm »
It is not my intention to be scare mongering. I apologise if this is taken as such however, I stand by what I said, the infection potential is EXTREMELY LOW. This is NOT scaremongering and don't understand how it can be considered as such.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 09:35:49 pm »
wt,

See, there you go again. This is not a low risk situation, not even EXTREMELY LOW. It is a NO risk situation. "Theoretical risks" just don't happen in the real world.

Please do not hijack this thread further. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 12:56:39 pm »
Ann and Andy thanks for the support, it really helps. But what makes you think that is a no risk situation. Is there evidence that proves this?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 01:10:51 pm »
CDC does not recommend testing discarded needles to assess the presence or absence of infectious agents in the needles. Management of exposed persons should be done on a case-by-case evaluation of (1) the risk of a blood-borne pathogen infection in the source and (2) the nature of the injury. Anyone who is injured from a needle stick in a community setting should contact their physician or go to an emergency room as soon as possible. The health care professional should then report the injury to the local or state health department.  CDC is not aware of any cases where HIV has been transmitted by a needle-stick injury outside a health care setting.http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/hoax1.htm

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2007, 05:28:34 pm »
Ann, so r u sure that i am at NO risk watsoever? I might be pestering you, but i just want to be certain and it seems like you know a lot about this stuff. ANd do you have proof or an example tha this is so. Would you be worried, if something like this happedned to you? Thankyou I would really love i f you could answer.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2007, 05:42:15 pm »
Shakur,

No, I would not be worried if it happened to me and I would not worry if it happened to someone close to me like my daughter.

I really don't think anything we say to you is making the slightest bit of difference. If a test is what you need to prove to yourself that you weren't at risk, then test. But don't for a minute think you will be allowed to keep coming back to this forum to ask the same question over and over and over again. Keep it up and I will give you a time out to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help you need.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Shakur251

Colds and HIV
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 07:11:43 pm »
Is it a sign of HIV to get more frequent colds at about 1.5 - 2 years after exposure. I'm wondering if that is a symptom because I am getting a lot of colds lately like 3 colds in last 3 months and the colds last for a good 8-9 days. The colds I get though have just runny nose, sneezing, and occasional sore throat. Can some please tell me if these colds are a sign of HIV.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Colds and HIV
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2007, 07:37:25 pm »
Keep all your questions and thoughts in your orginal thread.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2007, 08:03:53 pm »
Frequent colds are not a sign of HIV.  You are noticing frequent colds simply because colds are more common this time of year.  You have nothing out of the ordinary.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 05:23:07 am »
Shak,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. You should have already known this by now if you'd bothered to read the Welcome thread like you've been asked to.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

As you have been told, if you want confirmation of your hiv status, the only way to get that is through testing. Symptoms don't mean a thing.

You're still under a time out warning.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 12:53:25 am »
Does a normal CBC mean that you are HIV negative?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 02:57:52 am »
No a normal CBC does not tell you if you have contracted HIV or not. It has to be done by HIV testing.

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 09:25:11 am »
is an HIV test just a CD4 count? What if the CBC had a CD4 count

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 09:39:55 am »
No, the CBC does not have a CD4 count.  The CD4 is an entirely different test.  An HIV test is not a CD4 count.  The ELISA/Western Blot are antibody tests.  PCR tests are for the antigen (virus itself).  The CD4 tests are regularly given to HIV + individuals to monitor them.  It is a whole different matter than a regular HIV test.  Are you still obsessing about the sewing needle incident or something different? 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:42:58 am by Coffeechick88 »
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 05:21:02 pm »
Beleive it or not, still the sewing needle thing.

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 05:21:57 pm »
and you all are sayin that A normal CBC means NOTHING when it comes to HIV infection??

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 05:23:41 pm »
Exactly.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 05:33:47 pm »
Only an HIV-specific test taken at the appropriate time will give you a reliable answer as far as your HIV status is concerned.

Period. Really. Got it?

Andy Velez

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 09:22:57 pm »
Beleive it or not, still the sewing needle thing.
*Sigh*  I should have known when you posted that you were confident about being HIV negative that you would be back with doubts.  If it will help you move on, get tested, get your negative result and get on with your life.  You could go to a place that does rapid testing and get your negative result within 20 minutes!
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 08:40:12 pm »
I have one last question to end it all, hopefully.
Is the reason that I am at no risk because the needle didn't go deep in my skin enough to make me bleed, or b/c it was a sewing needle not hypodermic

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.