Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:39:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 590
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 575
Total: 575

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Depression caused by TLE  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Bunny

Depression caused by TLE
« on: August 16, 2018, 10:04:01 am »
Dear Friends,

I am doing pretty much with my current regimen ( TDF+LMV+EFV), my numbers also good.

But these days I am feeling depressive, feeling lonely hopelessness, vivid dreams as well as not concentrating on my work. These days I was very angry upon my family members. Some times I get panic attacks as well.

I consulted doctor and he supposed to switch/change my current regimen to costly one which I am not afford, in the mean while he prescribed to anti depressants and anti anxiety medicines.

1. Fluxetine 20 mg - 2 times
2. Alprazolam 0.5 mg  - one time evening

I have some questions to ask :-

1. Is it the only way to  change the current regimen to get rid of this depression caused by current regimen?
2. Above medicines (anti depressants ) are good for long time to continue?
3. Is any one have any experience like me here and how they overcome it?
4. I am almost 6 years passed with my current regimen and not get like this situation, why after long duration this depression attacked to me?
5. Is the antidepressants can help me?
Please can any one help me.

March 2019 - CD4 - 863

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Depression caused by TLE
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 10:25:41 am »
Hiya

Sorry to hear about how you are feeling and hopefully things will be better soon

I'm on the mobile phone and will post a longer post later.

Point 4)

In short my own understanding is depression, rarely has one clear cause and HIV meds rarely cause it outright,  but they can and do for some popeople enhance moods and/or worsen an exciting depression.

Point 1)
It could be a needed step

Point 5)
Antidepressants can help and be a vital step in the process of getting well

Point 2)
Really a medical treatment question for a qualified doctor

I moved your thread to this section, do have a look at the welcome post on this section of the forum as well as it contains a lot of information about depression.

Take it easy and know that you are not alone in this.

Hugs

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bunny

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 12:40:59 pm »
Hiya

Sorry to hear about how you are feeling and hopefully things will be better soon

I'm on the mobile phone and will post a longer post later.

Take it easy and know that you are not alone in this.

Hugs

Jim

Thanks a lot for your time Jim, Waiting for your longer post.
March 2019 - CD4 - 863

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 03:31:21 pm »
Hi

Again sorry to hear you are feeling like this, particularly to hear you are feeling  lonely hopelessness. Sounds like your not sure why you are feeling this way?
(Feel free not to answer that one)

Know that you are not alone and I am sure other members will chime in, plenty have posted in this section and, it might also help you to read back their threads as well.

The basics next to counseling that really can aid truly are exercise, adequate sleep, healthy diet, avoiding isolation and, as for the antidepressant well they are proven effective tools in the treatment of depression. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=68981.msg

That said the meds are not a one stop shop if you ask me and the Prozac (Fluxetine) and the Xanax (Alprazolam) will take time to have effect and long term I think understanding better why your feeling depressed and, than learning/understanding how to prevent or manage this, is key to preventing it from happening again and recovery. That is just my opinion of course.

Perhaps you could also look into if any counselling is available or other forms of face to face support, if not even peer support can often help.

I am almost 6 years passed with my current regimen and not get like this situation, why after long duration this depression attacked to me?

Yeah odd one but as said before depression, and the feelings you mentioned rarely have one clear cause and HIV meds rarely cause it outright, but they can and do for some people enhance moods and/or worsen exciting depression or problems. Also depression can happen to people at any stage.

I consulted doctor and he supposed to switch/change my current regimen to costly one which I am not afford

Now I would not dismiss the idea of switching HIV meds either, however perhaps have another discussion with the doctor why they feel this is the cause and, explaining to them the challenge faced with switching to the suggested meds might be in order. Perhaps they might be open to considering other combinations that would work yet suit financially better.

Sorry that I could not be more help, but if you need us we are here for you and do feel welcome to keep us posted.

Jim

https://www.psycom.net/depression.central.hiv.html

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-depression
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-exercise
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-nutrition

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:35:13 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bunny

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:45:59 pm »
Thanks for your kind words Jim,

Let us see what my doctor another opinion and update you soon.
Here in our country limited option available to switch the medicine.
Again Thanks
March 2019 - CD4 - 863

Offline Bunny

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 09:26:33 am »
Visited My Doctor,

After accessing my issues, he recommended to visit counsellor, after two sessions now its look like calming my anxiety. Presently he suggested to stop 1.) Fluxetine 20 mg  continuing 2.) Alprazolam 0.5 mg  - one time evening.  Every thing going well now except feeling something something crawling on my scalp.

Thanks Jim.
March 2019 - CD4 - 863

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 01:56:29 pm »
Great update and thanks for keeping us posted.

I'm  really glad to hear that the sessions have helped, and don't forget to look at the little changes you can make to routines as well, like taking the time for yourself to go for walks, eat well etc etc 

As the crawling feeling, with dropping the Fluxetine hopefully that will subside but if it does not do let the doc know.

Take care

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.