Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 355
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dad just tested Positive, I need to be educated  (Read 5403 times)

Offline AlHub

Dad just tested Positive, I need to be educated
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:55:21 am »
My Dad was put in the hospital and blood work came back that he was + and had a CD4 count of less than 200. A scary time for our family as he has been married to my mother for 20yrs. My mom however is negative. I have really no knowledge on the virus other than the basics. Can someone full me in on after my dad gets out of the hospital, how he will be? Will he be able to resume working? He just started Atripla. Also what do I need to know and pass on to my family members about to virus. All in all we are pretty shocked as nobody saw this coming. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Educate me!

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Dad just tested Positive, I need to be educated
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:05:41 pm »
There is far too much information for any one of us to relay to you here.  However there at the top you'll see treatment and a sub heading called lessons which is a good jumping off point for your education.  If your dad is now on treatment his CD4 will begin to climb and his Viral Load will begun to drop which is what we want to happen.  A beginning cd4 of 20 is not good but a lot of us started with double digits are lower and we're still here.  Right now he'll just need time to heal.

Offline Blue75

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:36:07 pm »
Hi AlHub,

Take a deep breath.  This is a big shock, I know.  I can relate to your mom as my husband of 15 yrs recently found he was pos 3 months ago, and thankfully, I am negative.  I can completely relate to the situation. 

Here's what you need to know right now...it is NOT a death sentence with medication and it is manageable with the meds.  What also makes me feel better is that many people relate HIV to Diabetes (which my father did have).  Your Dad will get out of the hospital, his cd4's will rise, his viral load will go down and he will go back to work.

You and your family does not need to worry about contracting HIV regarding every day living.  You do not have to worry about that.  If he gets a cut, he needs to put a bandaid on.  Make sure that none of his blood comes into contact with someone else's open wound or eyes.  I keep a ton of bandaids, alcohol swabs, rubber gloves, and lysol cleaning wipes to clean up in that case.  Other than that, don't worry about getting infected.  You can still drink after him, use the same toilet, eat the food he makes, everything.  Your mom, will need to use condom protection when having sex and all will be okay.

Check out the learning about HIV on this site.  Take care and keep loving him and supporting him.  Also, let him be the one to disclose to family members that don't know. 

Blue

Husband:
2/14/12 Tested HIV+
3/16/12: CD4-216, VL-56,500
5/4/12: Started Atripla
5/7/12: CD4-184, VL-12,000 (Taken off Atripla after 3 days, awaiting liver testing) Started antibiotics.

Offline AlHub

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:14:22 pm »
Thanks Blue, it helps to know that other people have go ethrough the same thing. Just want things to get back to normal but I know it takes time. You could have left the part out about my parents having sex. Lol thanks again!

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:52:59 pm »
Dear Friend,

I was diagnosed with lower cd4 than your father (mine was 188).  I'm confident he will get better.  He's lucky to have a son like you! 

Come back to aidsmeds.com and forums.poz.com.  This is where I learned most of what I know about HIV.

Sincerely,

Sam

Offline Blue75

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 12:21:58 am »
Sorry Buddy! But, you did ask & mom is most vulnerable so...gotta keep ma healthy! Sorry, I did contemplate that but you are here asking questions & concerns wanting to learn, that is the biggest risk in you're family based on your post. Trust me, as awkward as it is for you to hear, they need each other.
Husband:
2/14/12 Tested HIV+
3/16/12: CD4-216, VL-56,500
5/4/12: Started Atripla
5/7/12: CD4-184, VL-12,000 (Taken off Atripla after 3 days, awaiting liver testing) Started antibiotics.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.