Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can someone be a 'slow' progressor rather than a non-progressor?  (Read 10929 times)

Offline gemini20

As usual in the HIV world I always feel like a minority so I'm just putting this out there to see whether I am alone in my experience or whether there are others like me.

I know that there are non-progressors but can someone be a 'slow' progressor (if such a term exists)?

I have been infected 16 years and yet in that time I have only had two illnesses that I think were HIV related, although equally I also think they might have been stress-induced - both occurred in 2003 - bacterial pneumonia on a trip to Sydney and later that year I developed shingles.

My t-cells have declined over the years and have been below 200 on a number of occasions, although interesting both the shingles and pneumonia occurred at counts between 250-300.

I have only been on combination treatment for a total of 22 months out of 16 years and am off all meds except Septrin (Bactrim) which I take three times a week (when I remember!).

I do feel a little uncomfortable saying how great my health is when there are so many having to deal with illness/symptoms/side effects every day but I have been in remarkably good health for quite some time now and it got me thinking that maybe it's either because I'm not on meds anymore, or maybe my immune system is stronger than the numbers would suggest or maybe I am a 'slow' progressor and it's just going to take longer for me to become unwell again?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Best wishes,

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Can someone be a 'slow' progressor rather than a non-progressor?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 07:36:06 pm »
Emma,

Whilst I don't have any links to hand about this, I have read some stuff in the past about slow-progressors. Perhaps some of our resident egg-heads have more information on this matter.

And never be concerned about discussing your health. Matty the Damned finds it comforting that not everyone has a torrid time with this disease. :-*

With much fondness,

MtD

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 08:27:02 pm »
Hi Emma

There are a number of people here at the Forums who either are or have been 'slow progressors' in addition to the several LTNP's of which I'm one.

I'm by now means an expert on the subject, having said that however it seems you may indeed be a 'slow progressor'.

I've gone to a HIV/AIDS web site called the body.com ( http://www.thebody.com/index.html )  It is a very useful site for many issues medically involving HIV/AIDS.  I did a search on the site for 'slow progressor' and there is lots of info there for that. I'll attempt to put a link here for that. Here it is

http://search3.thebody.com/search?q=slow+progressors&site=thebody&seek.x=0&seek.y=0&seek=seek&client=thebody1&proxyreload=1&proxystylesheet=thebody1&output=xml_no_dtd

I hope that works !!

As Matty said, perhaps some of our resident eggheads will chime in. Calling on HIV worker  :D

All the best
Paul

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:28:58 pm »
Calling on HIV worker

Indeed. HIV Worker and/or Gerry to the white courtesy phone!

MtD

Offline gemini20

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 08:40:36 pm »
Paul, many thanks for the link - it did work - and now I have loads of reading to do!

although as it's 1.40am here in London I think I should probably get some sleep first.

Emma

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 08:57:47 pm »
Hey Emma,

I was probably a slow-progressor. I went 11 years with nary a med in my system after testing positive and, if I was indeed infected in 1980, as my doc believed, then I went 16 years without benefit of chemistry.

When I started, my CD4s had never been below 400 and viral load never above 50,000. It is possible I could have gone for some time even then without starting treatment.

I don't regret it, mind you. But, who knows?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:13:11 pm »
Hey Emma:

I hope you're getting some much needed sleep as I'm posting this! ;)

I believe I am a slow progressor also.  I have been diagnosed since 1989.  My t-cells have never fallen below 350.  But the doc I was seeing started me on meds early (probably like in 1992) and I have been on them (of course, switching cocktails from drug resistance) ever since. 

I will definitely check out the link on that subject.  Anyway, I hope you continue to do well!

Peace-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 10:39:43 pm »
Ok so whats the terms to be considered a LTNP or a "slow-progressor"?

Is it that your CD4+ dont decline below a certain number? or does it have to do with VL setpoint? are LTNP "undetectable" <400?

just curious;....although im sure i will do a search and figure it out but doesnt hurt to ask ;D
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 10:53:52 pm »
Hi Puerto Rico  :D

Generally an LTNP means the following: some who is HIV positive who has never been on HIV medications, been ill or symptomatic with a t-cell range of normal ( between 750-1200) and an undetectable viral load <50. A person may be considered an LTNP if these standards have been met for at least 7 years. There are some slight variations of this defintion but these are all standard.

I've been positive since '81 with an undetectable viral load throughout and normal t-cell range from 853-1185 since those test were first available. I officially tested postive in 1985 though its is believed I sero converted in 1981.

Paul

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 10:55:29 pm »
I'm jealous  >:(

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 10:57:22 pm »
So I wonder what the standards would be for a "slow-term" progressor? ???
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:58:44 pm »
puertorico2006, I was tested conclusively positive in 1984, my CD4 stayed at 1400+ to one month shy of 21 years and then they crashed. Ended up with an OI and hospitalized. All within a three month time span between blood draws. It wasn't a pretty sight to see.  

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 11:08:27 pm »
Well hopefully your doing better now  ;D

I was just curious....ive only had 3 VL tests done but they are always low....

but my CD4+ were on the lower side until these last labs....thankfully they have bounced back up because i was at the brink of deciding to start meds....but im glad i can wait a few more months
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 09:23:34 am »

I have been infected 16 years and yet in that time I have only had two illnesses that I think were HIV related, although equally I also think they might have been stress-induced - both occurred in 2003 - bacterial pneumonia on a trip to Sydney and later that year I developed shingles.

I have only been on combination treatment for a total of 22 months out of 16 years and am off all meds except Septrin (Bactrim) which I take three times a week (when I remember!).

I do feel a little uncomfortable saying how great my health is when there are so many having to deal with illness/symptoms/side effects every day but I have been in remarkably good health for quite some time now and it got me thinking that maybe it's either because I'm not on meds anymore, or maybe my immune system is stronger than the numbers would suggest or maybe I am a 'slow' progressor and it's just going to take longer for me to become unwell again?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Best wishes,

Emma

Hello Emma,

Well, I don't know what the term would be, to describe what I have been through, since i was infected in 1985.
I guess long term non-progressor. But it certainly started progressing around 2002.
I also was very healthy through almost all of those years. Shingles in 1988 or 89, can't even remember now !!( But I also believe that could have been stress induced at the time.) After that never had any illnesses. Never had the flu, seldom had colds. I just tried to maintain a healthy lifestyle as much as I possibly could, and made what I felt were necessary changes. I did have issues throughout many of those years with various skin cancers, and pre-cancers. I have to stay on top of that. I see the dermatologist, sometimes as aften as three times a year.

I had no clue as to what my numbers were until 1999.( major denial) My t-cells were in the mid-900 range. But ( as I stated above, things changed drastically around 2002.

I have only been on meds about 3 and one half years now. Still hanging in there. Funny... I haven't really had a cold or any health issues since starting on meds. My main  issue right now is the PN. But I am also well aware that things can change at any time. Just got to hang in there !!

Take care of yourself-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline SASA39

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 04:39:24 pm »
Quote:The CD8+ T cells of "nonprogressors," a "rare" subset of HIV-positive individuals
who do not take antiretroviral drugs but whose disease is not progressing to AIDS,
function better than the CD8+ T cells of other HIV-positive individuals, according to
a study published in the current online issue of the journal Nature Immunology,
Reuters Health reports (Stenson, 10/7). Dr. Mark Connors of the National Institute of
Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and colleagues compared the immune system
function of 15 nonprogressors, each of whom had been HIV-positive for up to 20 years,
with 25 other HIV-positive individuals for whom HIV would progress to AIDS if the virus
were left untreated (NIAID release, 10/6).

The researchers report that the CD8+ T cells of the nonprogressors "divided rapidly"
when they came in contact with HIV-infected CD4+ T cells, indicating that they were
fighting the virus, while the CD8+ T cells in the progressors did not. They also observed
that the nonprogressors' CD8+ T cells produced more perforin, an "HIV-killing" protein,
than the cells of progressors. "This is the first time we found something different" in the
immune systems of progressors and nonprogressors, Connors said, adding that no other
differences in the two groups' immune systems were observed (Reuters Health, 10/7).

Previous research had suggested that HIV-positive progressors had "too few" CD8+ T cells
to effectively fight HIV (New York Post, 10/8). The researchers' examinations of the immune
systems of nonprogressors could aid in the development of effective AIDS vaccines, as many
potential vaccines try to elicit a "strong CD8+ T cell response," similar to the response
produced by nonprogressors. "Understanding the mechanisms by which the immune systems
of long-term nonprogressors control HIV is important to our development of effective vaccines,"
NIAID Director Anthony Fauci said, adding, "Studies like this, which reveal basic knowledge
about how the immune system interacts with HIV, form the foundation of our effort to fight the
disease" (Innes, Scotsman, 10/7). Connors and colleagues are now planning to examine an
"even broader array of differences" between the CD8+ T cells of progressors and
nonprogressors to better understand why most HIV-positive people have poorly functioning
CD8+ T cells (NIAID release, 10/6).

12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline bimazek

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 05:07:39 pm »
sounds to me like you ARE a LTNP.  If not an Elite controller

Elite controller is subset of LTNP who do well for long long time

questions

do you do anything like eating, exercise swimming, hot water showers baths, olive oil, vitamins, herbs yoga or million other things that may help a bit

i think cd4 t cells jump up and down by hundreds in a day so  ... you may have been lower than you thought when you got shingles etc

also i came up with concept of

localized hiv count, that one small 3 square centemeter part of the body may be at say less than 100 cd4 cells even if the rest of blood says 350 cd4s

because of

many reasons... perhaps a bump to the area, sitting to long cuts of circulation, etc

also do search on my user name on research forum

put in keyword

cd8

there is your answer

the body catches the hiv virus and holds it from replicating then after a week, month, year or several, the virus escapes and body has to get hold of it again

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »
puertorico2006, I was tested conclusively positive in 1984, my CD4 stayed at 1400+ to one month shy of 21 years and then they crashed. Ended up with an OI and hospitalized. All within a three month time span between blood draws. It wasn't a pretty sight to see.  

The same thing happened to a friend of mine, he tested poz in '84, expected to be dead within a year.  20, yes 20 years later his numbers crashed within like 6 weeks and he got an AIDS diagnosis (CD4 mid600's to double digits, 57 IIRC).  He is on meds today and doing fine.  It just shows how much we do not know about this virus and its behavior.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 07:20:04 pm »
Emma,

I'm glad you brought the topic up because you always hear about LTNP people but always wondered what the folks were called who didn't fit into that category. I'm going 10 yrs this year w/o meds but my cd4 was 262 in March. I would think that would make me a slow-progressor. I have never been in the hospital for anything major at all and has the sniffles on occassion.

I would like to hear from some of the more experienced members here. Speaking of which, where has the Newt been lately? Or Moffie?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Basquo

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 10:28:36 pm »
It's too early to say what I am, I'm pretty sure I'm in my 9th year of infection although it could be as long as 11 years.  My viral load was 87 on my first labs, then undetectable for a couple of years, then slowly climbed to 3,000 then slowly backed down to undetectable to 400.  We did a more sensitive test last time and I'm back at 87 as of February.  T-cells have been usually around 700; 782 at last draw but as low as 476 about 5 years ago.

The only times I've come close to an OI was when I got Cat Scratch Disease (that was how I was diagnosed with HIV, sidenote, after surgery) and in 2003 I got bacterial pneumonia (consequence of working in a large hospital.)

I enrolled in the initial part of the study of Elite Controllers, but since they haven't called me back I think I'm probably more of a "Viremic Controller," although I'm not sure what that definition is.

Never been on HAART, but I do take Valtrex (and 6 pills daily for IBS.)

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 11:42:32 pm »
Welcome to the group.

March 2'nd marked my 19'th year of testing positive.  I have had no OI's (knock on wood) and rarely get the flu or cold.  When I first tested positive my t-cells were 225 and have been as high as the mid 300's.  Virul load fluctuates between 1,000 and 6,000 (I think).

I just started on meds on February 15'th because my counts had gone down to 200.  Doc said it may have been a fluck and that as far as he was concerned I didn't really need meds unless I wanted to go on them.  I decided with the stress I've under trying to take care of Louie that I should start taking them.

Taking truvada and viramune and that's it for right now.  No major problems, seeing doc this week so will know what my counts are.   I must be doing good since he said last month if I wasn't down to undetectable that we may switch meds, he hadn't told me anything yet so I'm hoping for the best.

I still smoke (trying to quit), pretty much eat what I want, drink lots of water, maybe 2 cups of coffee in the morning, take multi-vitamin, vit C and Fish Oil caplets 1 2x's a day.  I also try to meditate every night before going to bed.

Other than the constant sinus issues (one of the bad things about living in Florida) I feel pretty well.  Blood pressure has been elevated on and off, may be stress and smoking but since doing the Fish Oil blood pressure has been in the normal range, even a bit under 120/80.  I also try to keep a positive attitude and try to not let the little things in life get to me that much.

What ever you are doing, keep doing it.  Here's to many more years for all of us until the day they find a cure or a permanent remission (which I still hold hope of happening in my lifetime).

Love and Light,
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 12:58:38 am »
Emma, two things:

1. You said, "I... feel like a minority...".  I want to tell you that I do too!

2. Why aren't you on meds if your cd4 counts are under 200?

Thanks,

from Another Misfit

Offline gemini20

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 11:07:03 am »
Thanks for all your replies - it has been very useful to read of others experiences and to know that I'm not so unique after all!

I don't think I would be labelled a LTNP due to the fact that my t-cells count have only rarely been in the 'normal' range and I have had some treatment experience albeit fairly limited. So however a 'slow' progressor is defined I think that would fit me.

Bimazek asked if there is anything I do that might be helping a bit - well I've never smoked and very rarely drink alcohol so that probably helps; I take a black seed capsule, 900mg of vitamin C and a spoonful of manuka honey each day which I like to believe is playing its part in keeping my immune system stable; and I exercise regularly so am pretty fit. I also personally think that mental attitude plays its part and I'm one stubborn woman who won't give in to this virus!

For Guyinsouthala - I'm not on meds because I have made a choice not to go back onto treatment until I get sick. My treatment experiences have been clouded by severe side effects which put me in hospital and subsequent problems with adherence so I decided to stop all my meds back in October 2005 and take my chances - so far so good!

best wishes,

Emma

Offline FriedaDaddy

Slow Progressors? Like me. too.
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 07:33:07 pm »
****Hello  My first posting, as I saw the letter about this subject. I have been POZ since 1989, and def have been affected by HIV, with low t-4 count for years, tho, I have never actually been sick with anything "AIDs defining."   I never stopped working, sailing, cycling, leading a full, active, stressful, and sexually busy life.

Either The Great One likes me, or as my Dr. tells me, that my particular HIV strain has a low "Replicative Capacity, (RC)" meaning the virus is kind of lazy, doesn't do very much and we get along okay for 18 years so far.

Right now am on Fuzeon, which aside from having to inject 2X per day, has ZERO side affects and in short order brings PCR down to min or undetectable. 

So, boys and girls, you are not at all alone, just very very lucky, and not a day begins, or ends, when I do not
offer a prayer of thanks. I know so many gay men who are living very compromised lives because of HIV.

PS.  If any one is interested, I have published a memoir about my experience, and my years of sailing in the East Coast.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 07:42:07 pm »

Which is why technically I don't like the term "non" progressor.  There is no guarantee that what happened to you will not happen to others labeled "non", so really they should come up with some other name.  If one strays into the Long Term Survivor "Introduction" thread there are numerous examples of people who would have been labeled "non progressor" but then eventually did progress, and quite suddenly.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 10:14:25 pm »
 Philly said the following

"Which is why technically I don't like the term "non" progressor.  There is no guarantee that what happened to you will not happen to others labeled "non", so really they should come up with some other name.  If one strays into the Long Term Survivor "Introduction" thread there are numerous examples of people who would have been labeled "non progressor" but then eventually did progress, and quite suddenly. "

I am always mindful, though I don't always say that I am a LTNP 'to date'. As many researchers have told me, my outlook is quite positive, HOWEVER there are no guarantees. HIV is a new disease and we will only know my outcome  as I age. There are approximately 500-1,000 known LTNP's in the USA. Statistically LTNP's make up about .3% of HIV positive people.

Bruce Walker  M.D. of Harvard calls LTNP's  'elite controllers' and has a ground breaking global study which is connected to the Human Genome Project. Here's a link to that study.

http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/aids/hiv_elite_controllers.asp

For more info about this study here at the forums here is a link to a thread at Research News and Studies
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=411.0

While I don't dwell on it too much, I do wonder if the other shoe will drop. 26 years with this bug and I continue to count my blessings EVERY day.

Paul

Offline Wolfhound

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 02:45:32 pm »
Hi,

I discovered I was positive from taking a routine physical. I wanted to take out an insurance policy so my partner and animals would be taken care of.  I've never been sick in my adult life, no drugs and monogamous. My partner is negative.   I saw no problem with taking the test as I am physically active and eat as healthy as I can. ( fast food only about once a month). To say the least I was surprised when I got the test results. My T-cell count and viral load have been steady the last five years, but I am now looking into going on meds, even though I feel great. I suspect I was infected in the late 80's,  before I got hitched  because testing between 93-02 gave negative results. I didn't show symptoms of conversion, no chills, flu like feeling, nothing. My complete blood work otherwise has been excellent over the years, except my HIV status. I've wondered about being a 'non-progressor', but don't put much stock in that term. I focus a lot of research into what drugs so called non-progressors should start taking if and when it becomes necessary.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.