Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:52:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 309
Total: 311

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Viral Load  (Read 12132 times)

Offline Bhall4

Viral Load
« on: April 14, 2020, 02:47:33 pm »
I posted this in my original post, as I did not want to make tons of posts but maybe this is more appropriate for its own.   I’m still new to the diagnosis, Dec 19.  My VL decreased after 1 month, but then increased.  I’m trying not to freak and i suppose just need coaching. 

I have spoke to my provider, he was not freaking out... but understood of course.  Tomorrow I will have another resistance test and VL test. I did have a crazy stomach bug several days before.

December:  VL 78,200 CD4 500+
January: VL 90. CD4 800+
April: VL 180. CD4 900+ 

I’m on Biktarvy. Not missed a dose, take it practically the same time of day give a 15min +/- deviation. There was an hour deviation once.

Thanks for any personal insight.

**sorry I made this a poll somehow**

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Viral Load
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 03:03:24 pm »
It's only a slight blip within the first few months of starting treatment. Things can be a bit up and down before reaching stable UD. 

I would not worry about it, the results you have do seem fine to me. Less stress, keep working with your doc, take your meds and retest.  ;)

Jim

**sorry I made this a poll somehow**

NP I removed it  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:10:45 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 03:56:54 pm »
December:  VL 78,200
January: VL 90
April: VL 180
1. anything <200 VL is considered "undetectable" by scientific studies
2. after starting treatment, the viral load might not change in a straight-line function. Every count might not just be less. A viral load count can "bounce" around on it's way to undetectable

In only a short 5 months your VL went from 78k to <200. :D You should be incredibly happy and not stressed at all by these numbers.

(btw I deleted your cd4 counts from what I quoted. Your cd4 count is >200 and that's all that matters.)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 08:29:07 pm »
It's only a slight blip within the first few months of starting treatment. Things can be a bit up and down before reaching stable UD. 

I would not worry about it, the results you have do seem fine to me. Less stress, keep working with your doc, take your meds and retest.  ;)

Jim

NP I removed it  ;)

Hey Jim. Thanks for fixing that :).  And thanks for the reassurance.  Deep down I know to not freak out, but my mind is a trickster!!  I guess I go straight to doomsday. ;)

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 08:31:13 pm »
1. anything <200 VL is considered "undetectable" by scientific studies
2. after starting treatment, the viral load might not change in a straight-line function. Every count might not just be less. A viral load count can "bounce" around on it's way to undetectable

In only a short 5 months your VL went from 78k to <200. :D You should be incredibly happy and not stressed at all by these numbers.

(btw I deleted your cd4 counts from what I quoted. Your cd4 count is >200 and that's all that matters.)

Yes. I am super happy with the CD4 and know there is nothing to worry about with my current numbers.  And again i agree i should be stoked about that significant decrease (and I am).  Like i told Jim..... my mind goes to doomsday 🤯

Thanks for your reassurance.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 03:52:11 am »
Your viral load has been reduced by better than 99.7%. That's a roaring success.

Suppressing HIV is an ultra marathon, not a sprint. Whether it takes  a month or a couple of years to get to 'undetectable' makes not a jot.of difference. Just keep taking your meds and in 30+ years you can look back on a life well lived.

Btw if you're a smoker give it up, smoking takes more years off health and life span than treated HIV ever will.

Good luck, keep in touch

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 11:05:53 am »
Your viral load has been reduced by better than 99.7%. That's a roaring success.

Suppressing HIV is an ultra marathon, not a sprint. Whether it takes  a month or a couple of years to get to 'undetectable' makes not a jot.of difference. Just keep taking your meds and in 30+ years you can look back on a life well lived.

Btw if you're a smoker give it up, smoking takes more years off health and life span than treated HIV ever will.

Good luck, keep in touch

Thank you for encouragement!!  Ultimately, i should know all these things y’all say. I just need people to confirm my mind to be put at ease!

I’ve actually never smoked a day in my life.  I have been trying to exercise more. But recently it’s cold or rainy.

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 06:56:24 am »
Thanks for all y’alls positive feedback!  I received my VL this morning post two weeks of the previous:  <20!!

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 11:19:02 pm »
I saw your most recent post in someone else's thread about your VL. Is there any reason why resistance test wasn't done when you were diagnosed?  Those tests need at least 1000 copies to be accurate. I'm sorry that your doctor didn't know that because you were done a disservice. 

Do you know what your intial CD4 was?

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 06:55:39 pm »
Hi.  On my first appointment. Yes i had a resistance test.  And then when i had the elevated VL. They did another, but the lab said they could not perform it because there was not enough HIV DNA to be found. So I’m thinking yay good news.  Then i had my most recent lab work with a 70 VL. 

I literally followed up today and I’m switching medicines from Biktarvy to Genvoya.

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 06:56:25 pm »
Ohhh my initial CD4 was around 550. This last count was over 1,000

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 10:47:13 pm »
Hi.  On my first appointment. Yes i had a resistance test.  And then when i had the elevated VL. They did another, but the lab said they could not perform it because there was not enough HIV DNA to be found. So I’m thinking yay good news.  Then i had my most recent lab work with a 70 VL. 

I literally followed up today and I’m switching medicines from Biktarvy to Genvoya.

Your CD4 was good and I'm glad they did initial resistance testing.

Genvoya is an interesting choice. I'm not questioning your docs wisdom or anything, but it seems like an odd choice when it has to be taken with food and it has the drug, cobicistat, in it that increases chances of drug interactions. 

That's just my personal experience.  I had issues with meeting my daily caloric intake and took other meds that stayed in my system longer because I was on Genvoya.

But I hope it works out for you though!

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 09:36:35 am »
Thanks!

I don’t think i should have any issue with food and taking the medicine LOL

He wanted that particular “extra” for the “boost”. I really have no other medication to be concerned of interaction (at this point in my life)

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 01:54:37 pm »
A month on the new medicine, received an undetectable VL and CD4 knocking at 1100.  And this was me recently getting over COVID!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.