Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:40:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 523
Total: 523

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Early Diagnosis Depression  (Read 8147 times)

Offline Lamek

Early Diagnosis Depression
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:23:54 am »
I don't want to intrude your post, I just wanted advise from you or anyone else who may have had a similar experience. I keep asking people who are poz but I do not get any response when I ask about this specific issue.

After being diagnosed about two months ago, my issue is that, since starting with the meds, it's as if I am losing my mind. I forgetting things...even whether I have showered today or not. My main concern is that I am required to use a lot of focus at work, but there is just no ability to concentrate. It's as if I am not there. Totally absent minded...like I am watching a movie while I'm drunk.

With all the frustration now that I am lagging behind with work. Consequently, I just want to commit suicide. I already bought a bunch of different  prescription medicines from pharmacies. But I really want to live  :'( :'(. For the past days my friends and family were constantly calling me to say hi and that they miss me. They do not know anything. I know they will be hurt when I suddenly go.
But I also feel like I shouldn't wait to get fired cos I cannot work, and just go home to my parents and wait to die.  :'( I don't want to see them cry for the first time.

Please advise me guys. I will highly appreciate.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:15:46 am by Ptrk3 »

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Early Diagnosis Depression
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 09:30:09 am »
Lamek:  I've split your post from the topic and subject area in which you originally posted and gave it a new subject title in order to address your concerns better.

It is not unusual to feel depressed in the early stages of diagnosis, so you are not alone.

Firstly, if you feel that you are in immediate danger of self harm, please contact the nearest hospital for advice or go into the nearest healthcare facility's emergency center.

If you are having or continue to have suicidal thoughts, contact your healthcare provider immediately.  Treatment exists, including treatment for depression and anxiety through medication and, also, cognitive therapy.

In terms of treating your HIV-infection, that is easy and, through adherence to your antiretroviral regimen, you will live a long and healthy life (presuming you are on a regimen, so, if you are not, you need to be on one).

Mental health is another issue, and poor mental health is much more of a threat to your health and well being than a virus that can now be easily and effectively treated.

Please do not hesitate to address your mental health issues immediately.

There are support groups and a healthcare provider ready to help you.

Please keep in touch with this forum for continued support as you work through your issues, but know that people here care about you and have been in the dark place you are now, but have moved to a better place and continue to thrive.

For more information, access this link:

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=69487.0
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 12:40:25 pm »
Hiya

Not much i can add other than to say as said before i'm sorry you're in so much pain and, prehaps not what you want to hear right now but the way you are feeling should be reported to your doctor as well. Its not uncommon to feel lost post diagnosis, i do know you seemed to be stressing about a lot of "what if's" instead of focusing on "what is" and a lot of guilt from your upbringing if you ask me.  That is something that can't be fixed overnight but with the right support you can start working on it.

As for HIV treatment you have only just started treatment and already switched in the last few weeks so give yourself time to settle in. If i am understanding you correctly post switch you still have the same issues so be open to the idea that its not your meds causing this!

Not sure if you answered this already but have you looked into any peer support groups in your area? Meeting people face to face has always helped me over the years.

Just know that you are not alone, we are here for you and to take it easy.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Lamek

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:37:48 am »
Thank you so much guys. Doctor said I need rest and she put me on leave. I also did blood tests on several other things today. Will see how it goes.

My problem is that I'm pushing myself too much at work like nothing has happened, and trying to do so many tasks at once to "make up" for my diagnosis, because I'm scared to lose job. Big problem

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 01:24:02 pm »
You're welcome.

Now, focus on getting better physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Do keep us informed of your progress:  your journey will help others.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline MarkintheDark

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 04:28:40 pm »
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time with all this.  I won't attempt to minimize or be dismissive of any of it.  As the guys have said, self-care is the priority right now.  I'm glad your doc was able to intervene on your behalf.

I'm gonna tread carefully b/c it sounds like you've already been feeling overwhelmed.  Since I've been there, I'll put it this way:  when you feel up to it, perhaps consider a therapist who specializes in HIV as someone who can get you through the rough patches.  They might also be able to suggest a psychiatrist who can prescribe an antidepressant.  Like I said, I've been there.

In the meantime, a less strenuous assist I've found useful is an online forum I've used: https://www.depressionforums.org/forums/forum/12-depression-central/
They're HIV friendly, too.

Please keep us updated.
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 11:55:05 pm »
I'm sorry you're feeling somewhat lost.

I think that The idea of taking a bit of leave sounds much more promising than either suicide or quitting and 'waiting to die'. We can't change being positive but we don't deserve to have a lesser life because of it.

I've lived 34 years with HIV. I've travelled, volunteered, gained a university degree, had some horrible depressive time, and recently got married.

I have gotten my mental health into a great space but it required recognising my issue, being open to receive help, actively pursuing that help and doing a lot of stuff for myself.

Professional help was definitely a help, and for initial things to do for myself  included, walking each day and doing some mindfulness and cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT).  There are phone apps that can help you with these, but ultimately you'll end up with your own personalised toolkit.

The mindfulness and CBT will also help you with your work focus.

Good luck and do know that it gets better, lots better.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.