Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:59:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773187
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 286
Total: 289

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Youth involvement with other PLWHA in your area?  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Sheri

Youth involvement with other PLWHA in your area?
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:41:24 pm »
Good morning ladies,

How are you?  From reading the threads, I know that some of you have children and grandchildren, so I was hoping perhaps you'd be willing to share if you've had any opportunities to semi-regularly connect your children socially with other HIV-affected kids, either locally or nationally.  It doesn't necessarily have to be anything formal.  In my city, there are some successful programs for positive teens as well as for affected teens, and there is also a childcare program for babies and toddlers of positive mothers, but not a whole lot for the kids in between (elementary/and early middle school aged).  My daughter does attend camps for HIV affected kids, and when there are local events for the poz community that are open to children (such events don't happen often, though), I bring her also.  But for all practical purposes, she knows very few other kids infected or affected by HIV (as the camps are only held annually, and she doesn't see those kids throughout the year).  I am going to probably make a more concentrated attempt to volunteer at one of the local HOPWA residences (did so in the past, but infrequently...not enough to make any connections), but does anyone have any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: Youth involvement with other PLWHA in your area?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:14:32 am »
Mim is nearly 9 and has never connected with other poz kids.  There's nothing in our state for poz kids / teens / young adults - not even sure there's much for adults.  She's connected with lots of poz adults through AMG, but none of them are from our state. We've been fortunate that she has lots of friends who know her status and don't care.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Sheri

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:47:36 pm »
Have you considered any of the camps?  (And if you already know of them, please disregard the rest of my statement.)  Many of them accept the negative siblings as well, and as they are non-profit, usually don't charge any fees.  There are lots of regional camps that are reserved for children in a certain geographical area, and then there is a national one (One Heartland) with more than one location that accepts children from any US state.  Their website is www.oneheartland.org.  There is also at least one camp in Canada and some in eastern Europe as well as subsaharan Africa.  (In fact, there are probably more worldwide, I'm just not in the know.) 

There are also a few programs for the entire family.  One of which is through REACH ministries near Seattle, WA, which hosts family campouts every Labor Day weekend.  I learned about it from my online hiv adoption group.  I personally haven't gone, but have heard that it is a good program.  However, though open to all, I've been told that there is a noticeable Christian slant to some of the programs (i.e. the campfire songs).  That isn't an issue for me, but I can imagine that for families of a different faith background (or none), it may not be a good match.  Their website is:   http://www.reachministries.org/programs.php

Here is a list of some HIV camps, although it's not a current list and at least one if not more of these camps is no longer in existence:  http://www.thebody.com/index/treat/camps.html

Are the AMG gatherings stand-alone gatherings, or are they piggy-backed onto any other HIV conferences or workshops?  Is there a fee to attend (registration, etc)?  Is there a group discount rate for lodging?

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:35:04 pm »
AMG stands for "AidsMeds Gathering" and is for members of this forum and their families / friends / partners / spouses / ect.  There's not a fee, persay, but there are costs involved for lodging, the Meet and Greet, and various tours that are scheduled.  AMG this year begins Aug. 6th, so if you want to attend, I suggest you contact Dennis via PM.  If you want more information, you can click on "AM Gatherings" in the menu on the left.  There are several topics there associated with this year's gathering.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.