Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:16:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 345
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Reyataz combo not so effective?  (Read 8882 times)

Offline Okealyshire

Reyataz combo not so effective?
« on: May 29, 2008, 02:04:42 pm »
Hm, http://www.poz.com/articles/hiv_aids_actg_761_14673.shtml is troubling. I wish we knew more -- is it an issue with all Reyataz-containing combos, or only the specific combo mentioned in the trial?

Offline Londonguy

Re: Reyataz combo not so effective?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:25:30 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about it.  They're not saying Reyataz is inferior to Sustiva.  All it says is that Reyataz + ddl + FTC didn't work as well as Sustiva + Combivir or Susitiva + Truvada.  ddl is a drug which is rarely used nowadays so I'm not sure why they included it in the study.  I'm not sure what the point of these studies are if they don't compare like with like, e.g Sustiva + Truvada vs Reyataz + Truvada

It doesn't say if the Reyataz was boosted, although the implication seems to be that it wasn't, so that could be a factor as well.

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:31:09 pm »
"Troubling" was probably too strong a word. I've had fantastic results with my Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir combo. I often find myself wishing that these studies would report more details, though.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:06:07 pm »
"Troubling" was probably too strong a word. I've had fantastic results with my Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir combo. I often find myself wishing that these studies would report more details, though.

But this study has nothing to do with that combo you're on.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:18:38 pm »
I know. It just got me curious, really. And like londonguy said, it's a bit odd they included Videx in the study.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:30:37 pm »
Oh yeah -- unfortunately I was on Videx quite a bit when first diagnosed in the early 90's as that's all there was aside from AZT.  I'm quite sure it was a major culprit with my lipo and peripheral neuropathy issues.  I'd only ever take this as a last resort.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 07:42:14 pm »
This study should not worry anyone on boosted Reyataz (Reyataz + Norvir), since it didn't include the Norvir.  Many AIDS activists thought that arm of the study was always a stupid idea, and they've been proved right.

Remember, Kaletra is also a boosted protease inhibitor, since it has Norvir built in.  It's standard practice now to boost almost all of the PIs.

Peter

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:33:36 pm »
So the lesson we learn from this is that a combo containing non-boosted Razzamataz is more likely to fail than one containing Efavirenz?

MtD

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 11:33:44 am »
Yup.  Some might argue that the nukes were weaker, but Sustiva is a powerhouse antiviral, and any unboosted PI will usually look bad in comparison.

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 11:31:42 pm »
It does seem like a stupid study creating needless worry.  I've been extremely pleased with my Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada regimen, which for me also has virtually no side effects.  This is purely un-scientific personal observation, but I know a couple people who have had liver problems while on sustiva, not to mention it's often terrible side-effects (I took it briefly and it almost drove me insane).  I'm not a fan and sometimes worry that Atripla is being shoved down every new poz-er's throat.   just wondered if anyone else had observed this.
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 03:14:10 am »
I dunno.

I don't think any properly conducted scientific research is stupid. It gives us concrete evidence where we previously we only had "common sense". It made sense that a non boosted Reyataz based combo was more prone to fail than a similar combo containing Efavirenz. Now we know because there is quantifiable evidence to say so.

How we react to it is the point, which is why sites like this one are important. Here the evidence from this study can be interpreted and made understandable for non-scientific types like myself.

When I first read this study, my reaction was the same as many: "Yikes!! Reyataz isn't any good". My combo is boosted Reyataz + Kivexa. It was only when Goderator Ann & Captain Pete explained the fine print, that I realised my initial reaction was incorrect.

MtD

Offline beenthere66

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 09:12:21 pm »
I don't know if Reyataz should be judge too prematurely.  I have been on meds for 13 years now and I had been put on Reyataz in 2004.  I hadn't had any problem with Reyataz. 

It is new and maybe mixed with other meds might be the problem.  Talking from experience it has the best meds that I have been on.    Not all meds works the same on everyone.

beenthere66

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 10:52:58 pm »
I read the article and got the same conclusion. Seems the research fell short of proving Reyataz was defective, which from the heading of the thread drew me in. Since being on the stuff my viral load has been undetectable, have no side effects, and steadily increasing CD4.

As for Sustiva, I don't think it has been thrown down newbie's throats. I have met 3 people (literally) since January who have found out they were poz. Only one was put on Sustiva, one is on my combo the Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada, and another has truvada and something else...ugh I forget. Oh well :)

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.