Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:04:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 554
Total: 554

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lost in Translation  (Read 6940 times)

Offline jojodiablo

Lost in Translation
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:44:49 pm »
Hello all,

I have been reading the forums for quite some time now, but just finally decided to register and make a post. I am currently in a relationship with a man I love more than anything, and he is Poz, while I am Neg. He has been Poz for over 10 years and is on meds. (Which meds I am not quite sure of) I have done some extensive research on life styles and anything he may be going through and so on, so if the need arises I can be there for anything he may need. But as I am sure anyone who is in a relationship with a partner that is Poz and you are not you’re self, you always have the fear in the back of your mind, what happens if this time I test positive. I get tested every 3 months and have for many years.  We use protection every time and we are very, very safe at what we do, but from my research I still have a one in 684 chance every time we get between the sheets. I have attempted to voice my concern to him but, the one time I have asked him what you would do if you infected me, he started to cry and I dropped the subject. (And he is not one to cry about anything).  I guess all I am asking for here is some guidance and some more information on how to cope with this. He is very open and we can communicate about anything, but I feel like I am on thin ice when I want to bring it up, as I never want to see him hurting, physically or emotionally. So any advice on how to cope/bring the subject up would be much appreciated.

Offline md

Re: Lost in Translation
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:18:23 am »
Jojo, I don't know where you got that "1 in 684" number from but whenever I hear something like that I feel obliged to remind people that 83.76% of all statistics are made up (including that last one ... joke ;-)

Seriously, it really isn't that easy to get infected provided that you don't do anything unsafe.

This isn't scientific evidence, but -  my best guess is that my partner was infected with HIV about 10 years before he was diagnosed - we were having sex throughout that 10 year period and about the only thing we *didn't* do was to have unprotected intercourse - and at the end of it I am still negative.

It is great that you can communicate with your partner, and it is OK to voice your concerns, but try to understand how he feels also - asking how he would feel if he infected you isn't really expressing your concerns - it sounds a lot more like an accusation, and I can see why he could have found it immensely hurtful.

Communication is a two way street - perhaps you need to start by listening to him and trying ti understand what his fears an anxieties are before you try to express yours. Whatever you do, don't give up - yes the ice is sometimes very thin and it may crack again, but if that happens try to understand *why* it happened and learn from it ...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 08:58:35 am »
Hi Jojo,

As long as you're using condoms every time you have intercourse, you'll be fine. A correctly used condom rarely breaks - have a look through the three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

There have been long-term studies of couples where one was poz and the other neg. In the couples who always used condoms for intercourse, not one of the negative partners ended up positive. Not one. These studies involved hundreds of couples, some of them being followed for as many as ten years. Condoms really do prevent hiv infection.

As your partner is doing well on meds, this will also lower any risk to you. Have a look at this thread:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17932.0

Hope that helps and if you have any further questions, fire away.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jojodiablo

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 01:14:22 pm »
Thank you all for your kind words of wisdom, and the information. Yes i know the words that i said were hurtful at first and i did realise that after and i did appolgise to him. I know i am at somewhat of a risk just by being with him, but it is worth it in my eyes, i just wanted to know my lvl. of risk.

Offline md

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 05:45:57 pm »
Life is full of risks.

Some of them, such as the risk of being injured while crossing the road or driving to work, are so common and familiar that we hardly think about them. One reason is because, for these common activities, we have a lot of personal data about the number of times we have engaged in these activities without anything bad happening to us.

The problem comes when we are confronted with something that is new or unfamiliar to us, such as the possibility of being killed in a terrorist attack, or of contracting HIV while having protected sex with an HIV+ person.

The key to dealing with that kind of unknown is to try to put it into perspective and rank it appropriately alongside all of the other risks that you take on a daily basis.

This is a very personal thing and will depend on a lot of individual factors but, for what it is worth, here is how I personally rank some common risks, from most to least risky:

- having a heart attack within the next 10 years (I am 52 with a family history of heart problems)
- being seriously injured in a traffic accident (I drive about 20,000 miles a year)
- being seriously injured in an earthquake (I live in Northern California)
- being in a plane crash (I fly between 50,000 and 100,00 miles a year)
- being killed in a terrorist attack (this one just isn't worth worrying about ...)

I rank my risk of HIV infection when having protected sex with an HIV+ individual as somewhere between the earthquake and the plane crash - neither of which are things that I worry about particularly, although I *do* have an earthquake preparedness kit, and I *do* always make sure I know where the emergency exits are on the plane ...

I don't know whether you will find this helpful or not, but this is how I think about these things.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.