Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:15:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773196
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 409
Total: 410

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Personal Goal  (Read 14166 times)

Offline cmhjeff

Personal Goal
« on: May 31, 2006, 03:45:20 pm »
Hello friends, I signed in to respond to a few PMs and I was directed to the new site.  Thank goodness I had said up my profile, one less thing to worry about :) I probably should have gotten acquainted with the testing forum but I'll just wing it.  I wasn't much of a pro on the old site so I'm sure it will take me awhile to find my way around here.  Just happy to know we are to find you all.

So Jeffrey and I had a very long weekend.  He was off Thursday through Tuesday for the Memorial Day weekend.  It was hot and humid here but we got out and visited friends, planted flowers, planted a garden, went to the Humane Society, went shopping, enough to eat, and went to see X-Men on Monday.  So we had a very busy weekend with only one downfall.  On Friday night when we went out to eat I stepped away from the table for just a few minutes and my wallet was stolen.  I totally sucked and although it ruined my Friday night we didn't let it ruin the rest of the weekend.  Sunday and Monday both we didn't use my wheelchair at all.  Everywhere we went I was able to walk with my cane.  Saturday I even road my recumbent bike for 40 minutes.  I'm not able to ride very quick so 40 minutes for me was just a little over 7 miles.  So with my bike ride and all of my walking over the weekend my calf muscles have been sore.  Assuming most of you are familiar with my situation I'll jump right into my therapy appointment from yesterday.  I walked in to my appointment with a regular stick cane.  At my therapist was very happy to see me without a quad cane taking better strides and putting more weight on my left side.  Putting more weight on my left side has allowed me to control the clonus I experienced in my left ankle even with all of the walking over the weekend I experienced very little clonus over the weekend.  At my appointment my therapist made a splint for my left wrist in hopes to keep it from curling up when I walk.  My left arm still wants to rise up a when I walk but she feels it's more of a balanced reaction.  She was thrilled to hear that I have set a personal goal to walk in AIDSWalk in September and is confident that I will be able to walk the walk without my cane.  So last night to begin training September I walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes any.  Slow speed.  It was so slow that in 20 minutes I didn't even walk a mile but heck it's a start :) I'm confident that I can do this so I've even already signed up on the AidsWalk web site

I'm not too sure how to add a link but I'll try to add my AidsWalk link here
http://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=167756&supId=42957575

Well I'm glad to have made it to the new forum and can't wait to start reading the new threads.  I think I even saw something about the buddy list :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 03:49:29 pm by cmhjeff »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Personal Goal
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:16:33 pm »
Way to go!  :D

I know it has been difficult.

I am awed by your determination and humbled by your courage.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Trish

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:26:57 pm »
WOW! Jeff!!

You are truly an inspiration... you've been through so much and have come so far.  I'm proud of you and you've given me strength to do more than ever.  Thanks for being you... YOU'RE AMAZING!!!

Keep up the great work...

All my love,

Trish :-*

PS  Bummer about your wallet...sorry! 
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline water duck

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:57:51 pm »
Dear Jeff,

U can count on me to be there on the front line cheering you on !!

Please don't push yourself too hard, go slow !!

Siang

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 05:01:46 pm »
honey, even getting out there and walking a bit is a success in my book.... doesn't matter if you complete the whole thing.   We had a walk in orlando... 3 times around a lake (about 3 miles total).  I did 2 of them (i took puppy and didn't want to tire her out on a hot day).   

All that matters is that you are there and do your best.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 06:51:06 pm »
"It is a miracle that I can walk at all."--Patsy Stone

Great! You're doing better at walking than I am at mastering this eensy keyboard.

I am not familiar with your condition, but at my hospital Rehab unit, they are trying this treatment (which they tout as new but seems like common sense to me) where they restrict the active side of stroke patients.  i.e. they put the good arm in a sling and make them use their affected limb.  Have you heard anything about that?

Once you're walkin', then you can resume Truckin'! 8)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 06:55:13 pm »
WOW! WOW! WOW!

Jeff, you really are coming on by leaps and bounds! It's fantastic to hear and I'm really happy for you. Keep up the good work!  :-*

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Nadine

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:06:45 pm »
Jeff,

Sounds like you are doing great!  ;D I look forward to your therapy updates.
You are truly an amazing person!

Keep up the good work!

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 09:28:11 pm »
Hey Jeff, power on buddy!

Matt

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 12:26:18 am »
Hi Jeff

You have an amazing attitude, a zest for life and a strength that will see you through...way to go, keep up the good work..but don't over do it.

Hugs
Jan
xxx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 12:56:46 am »
Dear Jeff,

You have such drive and determination, I am so very impressed.  Keep up the good work. 
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:41:51 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 11:01:58 am »
Jeff

I don't know what to say beyond what has already been expressed.

Your drive, determination, and strength are quite simply awe inspiring.  There's just no other way to put it!

Keep up the good work! 

RAB

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.