Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:38:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 524
Total: 525

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Maybe a dumb question but....  (Read 11626 times)

Offline MiniPozToyota

Maybe a dumb question but....
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:53:58 pm »
I was wondering if I can still drink a beer or two, and how about a redbull in the mornings sometimes not all the time though? just curious about this. I just recently became positive in march 2011 so really dont know much about the nutrition side of HIV yet thanks...  -John
April 2010- tested neg.
April 1 2011 -  CD4 346 VL 46856 22%
July 27 2011- Started Atripla
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below
Jun 5 2014 - CD4 704 VL UD % 44.0

Offline surf18

Re: Maybe a dumb question but....
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:58:42 pm »
yes having beers is ok.

Offline littleprince

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:51:29 pm »
Your diet doesn't have to change at all because of HIV. Drink and be merry. The only advise my dr gave me was "don't get fat". Considering that you will be getting blood work done every 3 months or so your dr will very quickly tell you if there are any diet changes that you need to make.

Your diet should be just the same as doctors always recommend to everyone. Low fat & sugar, lots of fruit and veg and a good mix of everything else.

Offline Gio

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:11:42 am »
MiniPoz my doc just pretty much told me to drink in moderation..  His only concern is adherence...  He could not stress it enough...  BTW we have all asked that question from one time or another its part of the learning curve and coexisting with the virus..

Offline wizardofaz

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:30:06 am »
How long you want to continue to live, and how healthy you want to be during the remaining years you have (and this is true for non-HIV people as well), will determine what choices and changes you make from here on.

One poster replied that you don't have to change your diet or habits at all.  That seems rather disingenuous... as you would not wish to continue having unsafe sex and not disclosing your status, would you?  That there is one change most people would call a "no-brainer". 

But, how about continuing a lifestyle with no exercise and eating lots of fast food with little to no nutritive value? 

Heck, if you're going to make no lifestyle changes at all... why even begin an ARV regimen to control the virus.

That's where the "eat, drink and be merry" attitude will lead you, IMO.

If these were your lifestyle choices before sero-converting, you are of course allowed to make no changes at all.  As I say, it all depends on how long and healthily you wish to live.

Moderate alcohol use has studies to show it as both helpful and harmful.  The one I will quote here has references to both.

"Alcohol intake and risk of acute coronary syndrome and mortality in men and women with and without hypertension."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21424217

If you find that you simply "like" the alcohol, then leaving it out of your life in the greater interests of health should not be a difficult lifestyle choice to make.  If however, you find that you "need" the alcohol, then you are probably not in the "beer or 2" category.

And that would be a different issue to be addressed.  I myself am in recovery and know that my life and my health, both improved DRAMATICALLY after I stopped using and drinking.  But first I had to admit I had a problem.  People who don't have a problem, don't usually have to ask questions about their alcohol intake.  But that's just me...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 09:46:48 am »
All things in moderation, including moderation.

Just use your common sense and you'll be fine. Of course it's a good idea to eat a healthy diet, but that's a good idea no matter what your hiv status may be.

If you feel like having a few beers or even a Red Bull - even with vodka, as is popular where I live - then go for it. All things in moderation, including moderation.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:00:05 am »
Do you love the taste of Red Bull or just want the morning kick?
It's expensive.  How about a coffee and 2 sugars - 1/3 the calories and a lot more natural.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline littleprince

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 11:35:32 am »

One poster replied that you don't have to change your diet or habits at all.  That seems rather disingenuous... as you would not wish to continue having unsafe sex and not disclosing your status, would you?  That there is one change most people would call a "no-brainer". 

I didn't say that. You're just making stuff up. And how you manage to link diet to sexual habits I have no idea.

But, how about continuing a lifestyle with no exercise and eating lots of fast food with little to no nutritive value? 

Did the OP say that they were doing this? You seem to like making stuff up.

Heck, if you're going to make no lifestyle changes at all... why even begin an ARV regimen to control the virus.

That's where the "eat, drink and be merry" attitude will lead you, IMO.

So your advice is not to do anything unless you are going to totally change your life? Worst advice ever.

Offline MiniPozToyota

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:46:53 pm »
Yeah I don't really drink alot just maybe if I go out to dinner or something. My lifestyle is healthy being that I'm in the military an has to be. Thanks
April 2010- tested neg.
April 1 2011 -  CD4 346 VL 46856 22%
July 27 2011- Started Atripla
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below
Jun 5 2014 - CD4 704 VL UD % 44.0

Offline poz1970

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 03:19:42 am »
IMO, just make sure you keep drinking water regularly.. like everyone said.. moderation!

(personal opinion, avoid redbull... far far far too many chemicals)

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 05:51:29 pm »
hmmmm I am kinda in your same boat. I've been on meds for almost 10 mos and still not UD. i have contemplated curbing my drinking and redull intake to see if I can finally acieve UD status. I tend to drink socially twice a week and not-so-socially-possibly-cant-stand-on-my-own once a month or so. As for Redbull I drink on average 2-3 cans a day.... sugarfree ofcourse.

I think the point is that now that we are diagnosed we should all take inventory and make steps to try and live longer. Having HIV gives us a strike against us that perhaps our negative selves wouldn't have. So maybe moderation would be better. You never know we could moderate or even stop the things we enjoy and get plowed over by a bus tomm.
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline Betelgeuse

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 04:50:02 pm »
As much as I love my doctor, he gave me a rather sassy answer in response to my question, "Can I expect my CD4 numbers to rise to above 500 numbers with proper diet and exercise"?

In a rather eye-rolly fashion he's NOT known for, he curtly responds, "you should be doing that ANYWAY". 

Touche!

I have tried to improve my diet and try to get more non-work exercise (I've always justified my not running on a treadmill by saying my job is very physical).  I have stopped smoking cold turkey - no problem.

I haven't been able to put away the bottle though.  I'll have a glass of wine with dinner every night, sometimes washing down my Truvada with it (shhhhhhhhhh).  The pharmacist said not to overdo it, but she said the alkie was okay.
04/19/11 - Diagnosed positive
04/29/11 - CD4 188 @ 12.5% / VL 18k
05/03/11 - CD4 171 @ unk% / VL 7k
06/04/11 - Start Truvada/Isentress
07/11/11 - CD4 not tested / VL UD
09/07/11 - CD4 252 @ unk% / VL UD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 04:04:08 am »
The answer to your question is no.  You can't expect your CD4 to do anything except what they're going to do.  You also can't expect anyone else's trends to be the trends you experience.  It's literally the roll of the genetic dice with a lot of variables in between.

Offline Betelgeuse

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 04:39:05 am »
I know.  I just find myself REALLLLLLLLLLY jealous of those guys that went from single digit CD4's to like 1,000.  Can't help it man.
04/19/11 - Diagnosed positive
04/29/11 - CD4 188 @ 12.5% / VL 18k
05/03/11 - CD4 171 @ unk% / VL 7k
06/04/11 - Start Truvada/Isentress
07/11/11 - CD4 not tested / VL UD
09/07/11 - CD4 252 @ unk% / VL UD

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 07:28:29 am »
I just had this discussion with my doctor yesterday.  I totally enjoy a drink or 2 or more.  It's all relevant to your overall health.  20+ years of enjoying my occasional drink hasn't caused any issues....yet.  If drinking causes behaviors that are not conducive to growth, then alcohol is the problem, not HIV.

Cheers!
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.