Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:05:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 310
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 284
Total: 285

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can mutations disappear?  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Buckster2005

Can mutations disappear?
« on: September 07, 2006, 04:20:09 pm »
I had a genotype done recently that showed I was resistant to the 2 PI's I was taking but not the Viread.  The most recent genotype showed no resistance to any of the NNRTI's.  The Dr. put me on Atripla but I told him that since I took viramune many years ago that it probably won't work.  I also took sustiva but only for about 3 months 7 years ago and failed miserably but I also see I was resistant to the zerit and 3tc at the time.  I found a genotype he did from 7 years ago after taking the viramune and before the sustiva and it showed that I had the Y181C mutation but it doesn't show up on the latest one.  He said to trust him and not to worry.  Can the resistance disappear completely or is it still lurking somewhere?  I have a feeling it is the latter.  Thanks for any help.

Offline Cliff

Re: Can mutations disappear?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 05:49:15 pm »
I think you should get a second opinion.  I was under the impression that resistance is permanent.  Once you were resistant to a drug, you would always be resistant to it.  If you have taken a drug previously and became resistant to it (years ago), then the resistance is archived.  The problem is that there just isn't enough of the resistant virus circulating in your system to get picked up by the test.

Read this response to a similar issue and take a copy of it to your doctor.

http://www.thebody.com/step/summer01/jeff.html

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:02:35 pm »
With NNRTIs, the latter, most times

-matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 08:09:43 pm »
Hello,

Good question. I was reading something, ( and not that long ago. something to the effect that two unlike mutations can possibly cancel out, a particular mutation. I wish i had saved the article, because I wanted to ask more about it. Matt, did you read anything to that effect. It may have been in MEDPAGE today or MEDSCAPE. ( Not sure where. )

Hiv worker, any comments, on the original posters question.  THANKS

Take Care-------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 12:00:08 am »
I would tend to agree about getting a second opinion.  It sounds like you have a pretty complicated resistance profile with your treatment history.  Like Cliff and Matt said, previously documented resistant genotypes do not disappear; they just fade into the background when the drug that selected for the resistant mutation is withdrawn.  When the same drug is introduced, the resistant mutants would tend to disappear.  You did not have the 103N that would have conferred high level resistance to all NNRTIs.  The 181C confers high level resistance to Viramune and low-level resistance to Sustiva.  Thus, there may still be susceptibility to Sustiva.  The problem is it's being paired with only one active NRTI (Viread) since you said you had resistance to 3TC, which means that you also have resistance to the Emtriva in Atripla (even though it's still a good idea to use Emtriva because it makes the Viread work better).  While the regimen might work for a while, it's likely that it would not be durable.  And if that happens, more resistant mutations would likely emerge and this would complicate your future options.

You may want to post your question to the Johns Hopkins website to find out what would be your best next regimen to take.  It would help to mention the specific mutations that you have from all the genotype tests you've had so far.

Offline Buckster2005

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 05:47:04 am »
Thanks everyone for all the insight. I kinda figured I am screwed.  I have scheduled blood work next week after one month on Atripla so I guess I will know more then.  My last VL was 35k and cd4 of 572 25%.  My worry was that I would blow the viread portion of this combo since it is about the only nrti I have left to use.  Diagnosed in 1986 I did what most people did with single meds as they came available.  I do still have 5 PI's I have never taken and show no resistance too but just nothing to mix it with.  I am only resistant to Viracept and Invirase in the PI catagory.  Although since the genotype showed resistance to the PI's and not the viread I guess that was the only one that was working to keep my VL where is was. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.