Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:08:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 614
Total: 614

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Moderators--how about a grace period for editing posts?  (Read 4812 times)

Offline allanq

Moderators--how about a grace period for editing posts?
« on: June 26, 2007, 06:13:36 pm »
Many times, right after posting something, I notice a typo or sometimes just a better way of saying something. So I go in and make the changes, which means that a little notice that I've edited my post is now eternally appended to the post. (Previewing the post lets me catch some errors, but not all.)

How about giving posters about an hour or so to edit their posts before sticking on that little edit message (that a lot of people feel compelled to explain).

Allan

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Moderators--how about a grace period for editing posts?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 06:53:58 pm »
Actually Allan if you catch your mistake in the first 60 seconds or so, the little edit message doesn't appear at the bottoms of your posts.

MtD

Offline allanq

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:54:50 pm »
MtD,

Yeah, a few times I've managed to get in a change before that "edited" message appears. Most of the time, I'm just not quick enough.

Part of the problem is that in a prior life I was a school teacher, and I have an uncontrollable urge to correct and edit my own writing. I have learned to suppress the urge when it comes to other people's writing. (Although it's difficult when I see "it's" as the possessive form of "it.")

Allan

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 08:06:08 pm »
I agree with Allan. It would be better to have a window of time longer than 60 sec.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:39:24 pm »
It completely messes with my OCD if I don't get my corrections finished in 60 seconds & am left with that little edit message.  Racing to perfect my post only to have it marred by that, that flaw.   >:(
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:16:06 pm »
I thought it would be modifiable for an unlimited time until someone reads it, in which case then it becomes an "edited" post if you modify it, which would make sense. I've too jumped to on the post trying to avoid the "last edit' when I realized I was missing words or found a typo.

Milker.

edited to add: modified less than 60 seconds later, longislander read my post.
edited to add: so i was wrong :)
edited to add: reaching 60 seconds
edited to add: MATTY WAS RIGHT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:17:58 pm by milker »
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 11:32:17 pm »
I can't believe you girls have your panties twisted about the "edit" message.  Who the fuck cares?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 11:35:44 pm »
The edit stamp serves an important role (in Matty the Damneds opinion) in preserving the integrity of a thread. It allows other readers to see if posts have been modified. The reasons this is desirable should be manifest. It's why when I edit a post I generally include a reason for doing it.

The forums software provides a number of features including a spell-checker.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:50:31 pm »
I agree with the matted one, which of course is a rarity.

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 12:17:16 am »
I can't believe you girls have your panties twisted about the "edit" message.  Who the fuck cares?

I dont wear any panties.  ::)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 12:42:36 am »
I agree with the matted one, which of course is a rarity.

And of course, Matty the Damned is indifferent to your support.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 12:58:07 am »
Horribly fascinating.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 02:00:21 am »
I dont wear any panties.  ::)

you don't wear any panties for more than a minute

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 07:23:24 am »
you don't wear any panties for more than a minute

I wear them merely to keep my ankles warm my dear.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 01:21:25 pm »
I wear them merely to keep my ankles warm my dear.

bwahahah

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 03:42:02 pm »
Allan:

As you may or may not know, we've had to deal with the "editing" issue quite a bit over the past few years.  Recently, we stopped allowing people to edit their messages at all, once 48 hours have passed since the message's original posting.  This is because we've had a few members caught up in the... errr... "passion" of dramas in the Forums and, in haste, decided to manually remove everything they had posted recently and previously in the Forums, rendering a number of threads nonsensical.  The 48-hour "stop-gap" measure, if you will, prevents this from happening. 

As for the edit timestap, you actually have 90 seconds -- not 60 seconds -- to make changes under the wire (I know, I know... same difference).  As Matty says, the timestap really does maintain the integrity of the thread.  Of course, there's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, if you find yourself wanting to go back to edit out a typo.  If you find yourself wanting to edit your message after several others have already posted responses (provided that its within 48 hours of your original posting), don't fret -- consider adding an "edited to..." remark at the bottom of your original post, so people know that you only made a minor correction, not a major change to your original message.

Tim Horn

Edited (;D) to add an example, courtesy of Matty, of an editing postscript: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13305.msg166592#msg166592

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:46:11 pm by Tim Horn »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.