Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:15:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 658
Total: 658

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CAPRICA  (Read 5727 times)

Offline GNYC09

CAPRICA
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:44:46 pm »
Anybody here watching Caprica? 

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: CAPRICA
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:57:48 pm »
I'm watching it. It seems well produced and I think it has the potential to explore some interesting ideas. The religious terrorism is particularly timely. I also like the 1950s style combined with the future tech.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:11:35 pm »
I'm trying to watch it but they sure are taking their sweet time developing an interesting plot line.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:02:08 pm »
I saw this week's episode and I'm concern this series is not going to gel. With Battlestar Galactica you initially had the Cylons as the antagonist so viewers identified with the humans until the characters could be fully developed. In Caprica there is no clear antagonist so you have a group of morally compromised or under developed characters who we haven't learned to care about yet. So when the corrupt attorney Adama tells his thug brother, who was established as a remorseless murderer in the pilot, to kill  Mrs. Graystone, who is not a well developed character... I don't really care. Also, even though I know how this story ends, I don't have a handle on where it is going.

This series has a lot of good things going for it but they need to pull it together.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:16:36 pm »
I'm trying to watch it but they sure are taking their sweet time developing an interesting plot line.

Well, Battlestar wasn't exacltly fast, I mean, I am sure they did a whole episode once on the XO drinking a single whiskey.
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »
Well, Battlestar wasn't exacltly fast, I mean, I am sure they did a whole episode once on the XO drinking a single whiskey.

So very true...Battlestar grabbed you from the initial episode (not the miniseries but the episode "33") and seemed to get progressively better through the first 2 seasons and then begin to slowly fade and fail to deliver in the end.

As for the Antagonists I'm fairly certain that would be the Taurons and the S.T.O. although like Ellen Tigh I'm really not in love with Mrs. Graystone.  Althought when Ellen Tigh's eventual storyline came to light I was vastly excited.  I'll give them another 2 episodes to rope me in and then I'll stop watching if they haven't.

Although, is there really anything else on tv worth watching?  This reminds me I need to rewatch Battlestar.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 05:21:37 pm »
Although, is there really anything else on tv worth watching?

If you haven't checked out "Modern Family" I highly recommend it.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 05:37:42 pm »
Episode 4 was more interesting than the first 3 combined.  Still waiting for the story to gel a bit.  Also I have this set on my DVR but it didn't catch it on Friday night, did they adjust the air date?

I'm still waiting for the 2 daughters to enter the storyline in earnest.  Looks like the Adama girl is the focus of the 5th episode.  It also looks like this series is utilizing a lot of the tools that BSG used:  very large ensemble cast with intertwining storylines and a lot of gray in the moral character of the entire cast of characters.  Hopefully they'll pick up the pace and give us something worth watching in the near future.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:08:47 pm »
Has anyone even noticed that the corrupt attorney Adama's thug brother is also Gay and has a male partner in Caprica, in the 1st or 2nd episode his young nephew ask... "why can't you guys just get married"
I hope I wasn't the only one that noticed that, did anyone see that?  I thought that was very progressive for a SyFy TV-series , I do hope that they do more on both of the Gay guys story-lines, it could be  very interesting ;D

http://www.advocate.com/Arts_and_Entertainment/Television/Capricas_Sexy_Gay_Couple/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:19:33 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:21:19 pm »
Has anyone even noticed that the corrupt attorney Adama's thug brother is also Gay and has a male partner in Caprica, in the 1st or 2nd episode his young nephew ask... "why can't you guys just get married"
I hope I wasn't the only one that noticed that, did anyone see that?  I thought that was very progressive for a SyFy TV-series , I do hope that they do more on both of the Gay guys story-lines, it could be  very interesting ;D

http://www.advocate.com/Arts_and_Entertainment/Television/Capricas_Sexy_Gay_Couple/

End of the 3rd episode I thought.  The partner's name was Larry, but I could've sworn in the BSG series the gay guy had to hide it?  I could be wrong about that.

Offline denb45

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 08:26:18 pm »
End of the 3rd episode I thought.  The partner's name was Larry, but I could've sworn in the BSG series the gay guy had to hide it?  I could be wrong about that.

Humm I didn't see or know of anyone that was gay in the BSG series, who was he?  was it Mr. Gata are was it Guyas Boltar..I couldn't figure that one out at all, guess my gay-dar wasn't working very well , before that series ended over a yr ago ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 08:33:11 pm »
 Gaeta was.  Actually you couldn't figure out if he was actually gay or if he was just doing it to further his Anti-Cylon agenda.  You had to watch the minisodes online to see him kiss the guy.

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 08:36:27 pm »
Gaeta was.  Actually you couldn't figure out if he was actually gay or if he was just doing it to further his Anti-Cylon agenda.  You had to watch the minisodes online to see him kiss the guy.

Yeah your right.......Hoshi and Gaeta had a so called gay relationship, are at least it was implied   ;D

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 11:03:05 pm »
Yeah your right.......Hoshi and Gaeta had a so called gay relationship, are at least it was implied   ;D

You're right...too bad it was "ghettoized" to the online webisodes instead of the main show  :-\

As for BSG, yes, the bro is gay.  And I imagine the folks in the teacher's home are open to all sorts of things...I'm still trying to figure out their living arrangement...is it like a free love commune?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 11:25:42 pm »
Yeah they mentioned that it's a polygamous marriage when the friend visited the house.  There's like 6 or 7 adults all married to one another.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 05:46:27 pm »
Yeah they mentioned that it's a polygamous marriage when the friend visited the house.  There's like 6 or 7 adults all married to one another.
hmm...that sounds interesting...and it's a great way to split the housework  ;)

can't wait for tonight's episode...the previews show some virtual girl on the run and with a big gun...

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 02:15:40 pm »
The theme seems to be everything Poly; Polytheism, polygamy, politics....very progressive.  ;)

They name their planets horoscopically too. Interesting concepts worth following, well, at least to me.
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 02:19:23 pm »
The theme seems to be everything Poly; Polytheism, polygamy, politics....very progressive.  ;)

They name their planets horoscopically too. Interesting concepts worth following, well, at least to me.

That's a holdover from the recent BSG remake as well as the original series.  The 12 horoscopes were the names of the 12 colonies that left Earth.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 11:23:48 am »
I'm thought that Caprica was an long informercial about the dangers of over webbing.  Not only Big Brother is watching you but also Big Blue is copying you and slowing taking or absorbing your soul.  How will this end I wonder and what direction is this story line taking the audience. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 01:48:50 am »
The only thing that puzzled me was, what mother of sound mind, aka Mrs Graystone, would declare to the world that her own child was a terrorist. Even if they were not close, such stupidity surely would invite massive public repercussions to safety. Given her status as a doctor, really illogical. Strange. My 2 cents. ;)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 07:38:25 am »
The only thing that puzzled me was, what mother of sound mind, aka Mrs Graystone, would declare to the world that her own child was a terrorist. Even if they were not close, such stupidity surely would invite massive public repercussions to safety. Given her status as a doctor, really illogical. Strange. My 2 cents. ;)
Well, not trying to make it too obvious, that was an attention grabber and totally unexpected in normal social norms.  And Wow it worked.  This series is capitalizing on the shock response and hope to crash land the series in territories the audience can barely brace for.  It's like a Female Dr. Who or a Korean Jesus Christ.  Both are totally out of the norm and may cause serious public and private discussion.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:42:05 am by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.