Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:30:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 666
Total: 666

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV Query  (Read 4154 times)

Offline lkpozi

• Standard
HIV Query
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:25:53 am »
Hello,

I had anal intercourse with another male on June 17th, i used a condom during this encounter. This person says that they are negative but, have not had a test in a year.
I also had anal intercourse with another male on July 8th, again i used a condom, there were two separate slippages of the condom however, both times i believe the condoms covered the urethra and only slipped halfway down my penis. This person also claimed to be negative and even on PrEP.

On July 12th i broke out with a bad rash on the trunk of my body (sebborrheic dermatitis, something i have had flare ups of in the past but not this bad) this lasted a week, although it occurred after a lot of stress and anxiety over my HIV status.

I had a finger prick test come up negative on July 19th (about 31 days after first encounter) and i am waiting until next week to go for a follow up test. What concerns me is that have been suffering with mild flare ups of my seb derm and a dry mouth for the past week. I am chronically stressed, anxious and depressed over this situation.

Any advice over my potential risk would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: HIV Query
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:58:34 am »
The condom covered the head of your penis and HIV can not transmit through an intact condom. The condom riding up a bit is not how HIV is transmitted and the persons claimed HIV status is also irreverent, so you have no reason to specific reason to test, nothing you mentioned here was an exposure.

Also HIV does not give you a dry mouth and seborrheic dermatitis is very common regardless of HIV status, treat it as your normally would or see your GP for assistance

Move on with your life, continue to use condoms for any intercourse and test out of standard routine at least yearly for easier to transmit STI's & HIV. Also consider PrEP to provide an additional layer of HIV protection.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline lkpozi

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 12:14:41 pm »
Thank you for your prompt reply, Jim. I have just one more question, i have read on a number of sites (NHS, CDC) that condom effectiveness at preventing HIV is actually around 80-90%. Are these just conservative statistics that act as more of a safeguard for the organisations?

Thanks.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 12:21:34 pm »
Context poor references particularly NHS that is not fit for purpose

HIV can not transmit through an intact condom, 100% however condoms can break, 10% due to mainly incorrect usage however when this happens during intercourse they shred leaving no doubt.

Your condom did not shred = no risk, move on
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline lkpozi

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 08:46:24 pm »
Sorry to return to this subject as the information i was provided was excellent. I wouldn’t post again if i wasn’t crippled with anxiety right now. I have been suffering with what i suspect to be dry eyes for the last 2-3 days, burning/itching/stinging without any plausible explanation. I am worried sick that its HIV causing this, despite the negligible risk i have been exposed too. There just doesn’t seem to be another plausible explanation.

Are dry eyes a symptom one would experience early on with HIV?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 08:49:07 pm »
Dry eyes are a symptom of reading too much nonsense online ;) Now see your GP and treat whatever is making you sick.

There just doesn’t seem to be another plausible explanation.

HIV is not only the least plausible, its also just not possible if what you posted is the truth. You had no negligible risk from this encounter, you simply had no risk, so stop being dramatic.

I'm not going to pretend with you.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:52:48 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 09:04:53 pm »
Look HIV can not transmit through an intact condom. The condom riding up a bit is not how HIV is transmitted and the persons claimed HIV status is also irreverent, so you have no reason to specific reason to test, nothing you mentioned here was an exposure.

Can condoms break sure, and when they do during intercourse they shred leaving no doubt that did not happen to you, stop fantasizing otherwise.

The most common symptom of initial HIV infection is none whatsoever and you had no exposure and all the issues you have mentioned so far fir 100's of other issue but not HIV and as you had no exposure it can't be HIV   

Move on with your life, stop looking for an issue you don't have and stop reading rubbish online. The resources you mentioned well personally I would not let them treat my dog, let alone my HIV.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline NeedAdvice21

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 06:48:31 pm »
Hey there i have been browsing these forums and have yet to find an answer to a question i’ve been pondering.

If i test negative at 32 days (using what i believe was a 4th gen test) does that rule out any prior symptoms (a rash i had for a week) as being caused by seroconversion?

I understand that if i test outside of the window period i can still seroconvert, so i guess im asking, if i have seroconverted would i show up positive on a 4th gen test.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 11:11:53 pm »
Work with your healthcare provider to determine when you test for HIV-antibodies should be considered conclusive.

Many experts suggest that testing for HIV-antibodies should be conducted six weeks after the potential risky event, then at 13 weeks past the event for confirmation of the six week results.

Questions about the specifics of the 4th gen test are best directed to your healthcare provider, though it is certainly good news that you have tested negative at 32 days since the event about which you are concerned.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline NeedAdvice21

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 11:47:37 pm »
I am unsure of which test i took, but the healthcare provider advised me that the test was highly accurate at 4 weeks and 100% at 6 weeks. I was more wondering whether seroconversion would make me much more likely to test positive at that time?

I had a subsequent exposure that overlapped this window period, about 4 days before the rash showed up. I am correct in saying that 4 days would generally be too soon for symptoms to begin, yes?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 11:54:54 pm »
Look a negative result at 4 weeks post last exposure is highly accurate on a 4th gen test and will rarely change, now it is standard to test again at 13 weeks for a conclusive result to rule out outliers who take slightly longer to show up on tests.

Also I am not sure what the risk was? But ill presume condomless sex, so use a condom next time and also test for easier to transmit STI's

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:58:41 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline NeedAdvice21

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 08:35:09 am »
Well i took it at an STD clinic in the UK so its likely it was 4th gen. Both times were actually unprotected oral and protected anal however, the second time i was a little drunk and there were condom malfunctions, i’m unsure whether the condom broke or slipped, i remember it hanging off of my penis when i pulled out, at which plint i removed the condom and stopped. They were durex extra safe condoms so i should probably assume they didnt break.

I wouldn’t be here if my symptoms werent so aggresive, i went from having mild barely noticeable seb derm to aggresive, pronounced seb derm shortly after the second incident. I had just returned from a months trip abroad when the original seb derm flare occured.

So is 4 days too early for ARS or not? i have read in some places it is but i would appreciate some input.

I understand this is my last free post, so thank you.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 09:15:19 am »
Banned for good.

You had no HIV risk, also you know if you do ever have a risk regardless of the generation of antibodies test 13 weeks is conclusive

Seb derm has nothing to do with HIV and the most common symptom of initial hiv infection is non symptoms whatsoever.

Stop wasting my time, stop wasting your time, see a therapist if you can't move on
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:27:07 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.