Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2018, 11:34:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 734398
  • Total Topics: 60559
  • Online Today: 313
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Panicking and really need help-am i infected?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline mamamia247

• Standard
Panicking and really need help-am i infected?
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:28:15 am »
Had sex with a young girl. It was all protected with a condom and have put water in it to determine any leakage and i cannot see one. I had put my fingers inside her and had small cuts and kissing which im not sure if i have sore in my mouth or not as i usually bleed when i brush my teeth.Problem is soon after the act she freaked out and said we should buy an over the counter hiv test and we tested at home. She was positive and i was negative. The following morning around 16 hours later i visited the doctors office to discuss my risks and they have immediately put me on Trivicacy 50mg and Ricovir-EM 200mg. I may have touched my penis with vaginal fluids as i was put on the condom and when i was removing it. I am seriously freaking out and cannot wait for three months to lapse to get a definitive result. Please help what risk am i at.

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Panicking and really need help-am i infected?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:31:59 pm »
You had no HIV risk, as in none whatsoever from what you posted here.

I wish you well but your post and fears are so off base that I am going to ask you not to post about this no-risk incident here again, unless you had a real risk to add to what happened.
Nothing you mentioned so far even warrants specifically testing for HIV as it is not how HIV is transmitted let alone PEP. With no disrespect to you but it’s an utter waste that a Doctor gave you PEP and just further stigmatises how HIV is transmitted.

Perhaps your doctor is one of the 12% that incorrect prescribes pep or perhaps you told them something different than you did here or they are giving it to you to curb your irrational fears - who knows. Does not change that what you posted is not a HIV concern. Finish the PEP course now as you started it and I have no idea what you told the doctor.

Kissing which im not sure if i have sore in my mouth or not as i usually bleed when i brush my teeth.

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=68441.0

Kissing is not a risk, brushing your teeth or sores in your mouth makes no difference.  We know how HIV is and is not transmitted after 40 years. The mouth lacks route and the cells to infect , saliva contains no viable HIV, it's hostile towards HIV even . If you want to believe "what ifs" so theoretical but never actually happened in the real world, than if bleeding it would have to be in large quantity, pure and you would need large activity open bleeding wounds of your own.

So unless your partner was beaten to a bloody pulp before kissing and you had a knife wound or some gaping hole to the mouth you simple had no risk. Not even theoretical. If kissing was a risk in any shape or form we would know about it after 40 years and the entire population would be HIV positive it's not.  6 months ago I was at a 30th national HIV conference with leading experts and we discussed why incorrectly after 4 decades of HIV and 30+ years of advanced research , science and education 25% of people still mistakenly think kissing is a risk.  It's not and it's in part I think people misreading information or reading concerns without context.

Kissing is not a HIV risk.  End of story, personally speaking it’s a topic that should belong to the misguided fears of the past and I am shocked generally saddened whenever it is a topic here, or in surveys

I had put my fingers inside her and had small cuts

Fingering is also not a risk, nobody has ever been infected from fingering ever, you will not be a world’s first either.  If you chopped your finger off and had open bloody stump it may be a theoretical risk (More so to her) as in its never happened but might however your small cuts were not spouting blood over the girl. (You would have mentioned it already if that was the case) Small scrapes or cuts that might seem fresh or open to you are not a direct pathway to the bloodstream or cells HIV needs access to infect. It’s never happened so relax not a concern either.

It was all protected with a condom and have put water in it to determine any leakage

The protected intercourse was not a concern, HIV does not transmit through an intact Latex or polyurethane condom and if they break they shred leaving no doubt.

Stop testing condoms with water before/during or after intercourse! If you test the condom before you use it this can weaken the condom, making it more likely to break during use. So don't and, also never test a condom after you use it. Instead, immediately dispose of the condom in the bin. Testing the condom after intercourse could damage the condom, as its not designed to be subjected to being filled or reusable like this and doing so could lead you to mistakenly think that the condom was damaged during sex, when in fact you actually caused the damage after the intercourse by trying to "test" it with water. In short, testing the condom yourself before or after use is not a reliable way to tell you anything.

Testing condoms yourself is a stupid myth.

I may have touched my penis with vaginal fluids as i was put on the condom and when i was removing it.

Also not a risk and to be honest its the most irrational concern so far.

Firstly understand and primary reason this is not a risk is simple because HIV is very fragile and difficult to transmit so much so that well nobody has been infected once it has been exposed outside the human body to air, either sexually or from day to day contact regardless of people touching their genitals, wounds, scrapes, cuts, herpes, objects as long as it was exposed outside the body to air first.

Once HIV has been exposed to the open environment outside the human body regardless of how you touch it, it is not a transmission concern going back to basics that HIV has an outer protein/receptors that are needed to remain infectious this is used to infect human cells and attach to the CD4 cell and they corrodes in contact with air, so leaving the virus no longer able infect human cells.

HIV firstly needs to be present for it to be a risk and in sufficient quantity for it to transmit, it also than needs an effective route, and it must also reach cells which are susceptible to infection. This are the 4 basic conditions needed for a theoretical risk and you met none of them and if even 1 of them is missing transmission can not occur.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

P.S

Decisions About PEP in the ER Are Not Always by the Book
https://www.poz.com/article/decisions-pep-er-always-book

In one Swiss emergency room, 22 percent of decisions about prescribing post-exposure prophylaxis against HIV did not follow guidelines.
For 12 percent of these visits, the hospital staff prescribed PEP to people who were not considered at risk for HIV. Ten percent of the visits involved people who were at risk for HIV but did not wind up receiving PEP.

To be honest does not surprise me, here are the UK guidelines I'm more familiar with but same thing is seen in the UK https://www.bashh.org/documents/PEPSE%202015%20guideline%20final_NICE.pdf
People being prescribed medication when they had no risk, and just need a therapist to help them past their irrational fears in life. Also engagement with them and explaining safer sex and risk avoidance would be a good idea. Giving PEP unneeded just generates and reinforces further stigma and myths about transmission and fear where none is needed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:52:27 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mamamia247

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:23:40 pm »
Thank you so much. This is the most comprehensive read about exposure and hiv i have ever had in my life.

Cheers.

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:17:01 pm »
You're welcome.
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mamamia247

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 12:40:22 am »
Hi Moderators,

Once again i thank you for the great job that you are doing in teaching us about issues of HIV, the risks associated and how to live positively with the virus. I hope i am not going to annoy you but am going to ask this anyway because ever since i first posted in this forum, i have been reading lots of posts in this forum many of which i have to admit i have found to be on point and so educative.

I read one of the posts here and one person mentioned that he tested positive after having oral sex and BJ in particular and had cum in his mouth. My question is can one get infected through this route?

Once again bear with me i am learning and in the past weeks i have been of great help to my peers who are so anxious about these things and have managed to convince more people go out there and get tested but at the same time i accept my limitations in knowledge and that is why am back in this forum.

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 02:29:29 am »
Giving a BJ is near negligible risk, the odds are small and the conditions have to be just right.  Giving a BJ is the only form of oral that has a risk level

The virus is very fragile, and your mouth without damage lacks the cells (route) to infect and saliva has dozens of protein and enzymes that damage the virus and render it unable to infect. The risk is that semen does contain levels of viable HIV and with damage like open wounds inside your mouth it may offer a route, its rare and so there is no need to run test every time you give a blow job, just get tested the next time you are due for a regular checkup.

Stop reading the "Just tested positive section"

There are people who will claim they got HIV from aliens, no joke and even one guy who claims HIV made his left leg shrink  ;D

Its just stories and stories are not facts, there are many reasons why someone would rather not admit to an exposure or the full truth. Being newly diagnosed is difficult enough time on its own, for some it is a time of struggling with deep fear of HIV stigma, social judgment & self stigma but also  things like sexuality, religion, family, sexual relationships etc etc come into play as well and for others even legal fears.

There is allot of misinformation and stories on the internet and lots of opinions or outdated data that get passed around as facts, We however rely on the latest scientific peer reviewed science for our assessments. This also gets fed back into the poz pages on transmission risks if needed and great effort is put into ensuring the message is clear. 

i have been of great help to my peers

To be honest the only advice you should give people is to use condoms and to test regularly for easier to transmit STI's and HIV, everything else let them speak to a doctor or a trained counselor

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101

HIV 101 - HIV Transmission and Risks

HIV 101 - Testing Inforrmation
HIV Testing

HIV 101 - Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP)
HIV TasP

HIV 101 - HIV prevention
HIV prevention

HIV PEP and PrEP
PEP and PrEP

Undetectable
https://www.poz.com/article/undetectable-1
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2018 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.