Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:24:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 594
Total: 595

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Zika Virus: Mosquito Carried and Sexually Transmitted...  (Read 6688 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:25:47 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Denvaux

Re: Zika Virus: Mosquito Carried and Sexually Transmitted...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 12:04:10 pm »
If you can't covertly sterilise your target population .... let fear do the job instead..

With my "conspiracy theorists" hat on, I really must say that these virus's that crop up in the mainstream media seemingly every five or ten years really do make me all the more staunch in my belief that there is indeed an " hidden hand" with an agenda that does not sit very well with me.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:01:46 pm »
crop up in the mainstream media seemingly every five or ten years really do make me all the more staunch in my belief that there is indeed an " hidden hand" with an agenda that does not sit very well with me.
that timeline doesn't seem right. ;) Five yrs sounds like too long when you remember that ebola was in the states just last year

the problem is that illnesses are played up for safety reasons. Whenever a new illness begins to spread, there is no way to predict what the course of  that outbreak may be. Sometimes it's confined within a certain geographic area. other times its confined to a certain subset of the population. Sometimes the outbreak is not quickly contained and becomes an epidemic. So the initial reaction by officials to a disease outbreak is always to oversell the danger in the hopes of lessening a negative outcome. The more people they can scare into safety in the first days, not only the fewer patients but the chances of the illness becoming an epidemic are greatly decreased.

so the cdc and the media is always going to be scaring us about whatever germ is going around so that we will hopefully hear the message and take precautions (whether necessary or not) and not have an epidemic. That's just how Public Health & Safety policies are supposed to work
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline LukasAtlPZ

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:36:47 pm »
The state and local goverments across the south will no doubt be spraying pesticides this spring, summer, and fall. Especially since this species of mosquito is endemic here.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:09:07 pm »
Never trust a mosquito .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 05:51:04 pm »
that timeline doesn't seem right. ;) Five yrs sounds like too long when you remember that ebola was in the states just last year

the problem is that illnesses are played up for safety reasons. Whenever a new illness begins to spread, there is no way to predict what the course of  that outbreak may be. Sometimes it's confined within a certain geographic area. other times its confined to a certain subset of the population. Sometimes the outbreak is not quickly contained and becomes an epidemic. So the initial reaction by officials to a disease outbreak is always to oversell the danger in the hopes of lessening a negative outcome. The more people they can scare into safety in the first days, not only the fewer patients but the chances of the illness becoming an epidemic are greatly decreased.

so the cdc and the media is always going to be scaring us about whatever germ is going around so that we will hopefully hear the message and take precautions (whether necessary or not) and not have an epidemic. That's just how Public Health & Safety policies are supposed to work

I don't know -- perhaps one should replace the word "fear" with "inform", as that is what the CDC is doing.  Fear is generated by how one hears the message.  Yes, I get that fear can help drive behavior change -- but really it is the information.  I've heard nothing thus far that makes me think this is a fear campaign.

Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:04:29 pm »
I don't know -- perhaps one should replace the word "fear" with "inform", as that is what the CDC is doing.  Fear is generated by how one hears the message.  Yes, I get that fear can help drive behavior change -- but really it is the information.  I've heard nothing thus far that makes me think this is a fear campaign.

Mike

I finally agree with Mike on something … I think it has happened before  ;) This is a serious health risk and I have seen nothing that leads me to think it’s being overplayed but time will tell. I do not buy into conspiracy theories and tells of cures being withheld by governments and corporations. I know too many people who are well connected who make science and public health a life mission … Im mostly talking about Denvaux’s statements in the latter part of my comment.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 07:48:19 am »
I finally agree with Mike on something … I think it has happened before  ;)

This is becoming a habit!!  Soon people will also be confusing you (incorrectly) with a right wing zealot!!   ;)

M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 09:39:13 am »
This is becoming a habit!!  Soon people will also be confusing you (incorrectly) with a right wing zealot!!   ;)

M

Im so for to the left I make Bernie Sanders look like Ted Cruz.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Denvaux

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 01:11:25 pm »
I finally agree with Mike on something … I think it has happened before  ;) This is a serious health risk and I have seen nothing that leads me to think it's being overplayed but time will tell. I do not buy into conspiracy theories and tells of cures being withheld by governments and corporations. I know too many people who are well connected who make science and public health a life mission … I'm mostly talking about Denvaux’s statements in the latter part of my comment.

Suspecting a global conspiracy doesn't always allude to a belief that everyone involved in it is aware of it. The very reason it is so successful IMO is precisely because very good men and women are not even aware of the often small part they play- this is the nature of the compartmentalization  pyramid system  of any organization today - only those that need to know, know!  I'm not attacking any one individual.... attacking the innocent is nonsense. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 01:21:03 pm »
Suspecting a global conspiracy doesn't always allude to a belief that everyone involved in it is aware of it. The very reason it is so successful IMO is precisely because very good men and women are not even aware of the often small part they play- this is the nature of the compartmentalization  pyramid system  of any organization today - only those that need to know, know!  I'm not attacking any one individual.... attacking the innocent is nonsense. 

Uh Huh … thats why I said never trust a mosquito .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 01:24:07 pm »
i for one welcome our mosquito overlords, the new world order they bring

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 01:30:13 pm »
i for one welcome our mosquito overlords, the new world order they bring

They are all the buzz I literally hear.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Denvaux

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 01:43:56 pm »
I doubt very much that the insects are our overlords zach ;) and I have no evidence that this " new bug" is of design;  however, these mainstream media exposes or pushes, do make me very suspicious when on other issues they are historically so silent.... all too often, however small or indeed large- there is evidence of "the agenda"  be it real or myth.
As to mocking or jesting re the NWO issue;  remember it was George Bush senior in 1993 that voiced it's reality, and every US president to date has reinforced "verbally" that George Bush sound bite, as has every British Prime minister. You jest, but I believe that they do not!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 02:05:41 pm »
I finally agree with Mike on something … I think it has happened before  ;)

Are you speaking of that time back in 2011?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 03:15:31 pm »
Perhaps I should be putting some money into aluminum foil stocks.......  This Zika Virus could be my faster road to retirement.  ::)

M

Offline Denvaux

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 03:38:19 pm »
I would have thought that with all of the bauxite mined out of my mammas home land before they turned that beautiful island into a golf course for the American middles classes pretty much all you yanks and dixieland dudes to a man would have had enough aluminium monies to have retired five times over already  8)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 10:11:41 pm »
Are you speaking of that time back in 2011?

Yes … and before that it was 1969 I think.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 11:02:05 pm »
Yes … and before that it was 1969 I think.

So something happened between you and Mike before the forums ever started?  Man, this stuff is still deep after all these years.  I thought I was always one of those secretly in the know.. ;) ;)
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 08:42:51 am »
Our cabal goes back to ancient times!!   8)

M
P.S.  This is how rumors start, Jeff!!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 09:36:43 am »
Im really 156 years old and I have been watching all of you since before you were born. Now the truth is out.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 11:48:36 am »

Thanks Jeff, Skeebo and Mike! The shift subject chat repellant worked!

Mad Mosquito is PO'd now that he is no longer the center of attention and has left the building!

Now, if we can just take the results of this cohort study and apply it to other health peskies we can do wonders for world health.

;) :D 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:54:06 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Denvaux

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 04:06:21 am »
Mad mosquito are you truly the latest CIA asset?   ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.