Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:00:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 358
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PLEASE BUY THURSDAY'S NEW YORK TIMES  (Read 10162 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
PLEASE BUY THURSDAY'S NEW YORK TIMES
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:55:48 pm »
As a member of NYC's Crystal Meth Working Group, I've been working on a full-page ad that will run in tomorrow's (Thursday's) New York Times -- the front section, and yes, the National edition.

I'm very proud of this ad, so I hope everyone will see it and discuss it.  Since it's an ad, it won't show up on nytimes.com, so buy a hard-copy of the paper.

However, there is a website that's associated with the ad, and I'll post a link to that site tomorrow in this thread.  In the mean time, if you want to see the other ad campaigns that the CMWG has produced, [link no longer available]click here.

Peter Staley

NEW WEBSITE:

If you can't buy The Times, you can see a version of the ad at our new website, gaymeth.org.

On the home page, click the "See the New York Times ad" button in the lower right corner.

Please leave your comments about the ad on this new website, using the "SHOUT OUT" link.

Also, please consider signing the online version of the ad by clicking the "WHY SIGN ON?" link.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:21:56 am by iana5252 »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: PLEASE BUY THURSDAY'S NEW YORK TIMES
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 08:10:28 pm »
Hello,

I will by one, on the way home from work tomorrow mornng.

Thanks---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 08:31:10 pm »
Hi Peter,

I'm in the UK so unfortunately can't buy the paper but I thought you might be interested in this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5079266.stm

It's been in the news all day today, Crystal Meth has just been re-classified in the UK to a class A drug alongside cocaine and heroin.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 08:58:45 pm »
Peter

I'm very proud of this ad, so I hope everyone will see it and discuss it.

I'll make sure I get a copy and check out the ad.

BTW, I know what an important part in the battle with HIV this issue is and want to say your personal story and commitment to try and make a difference is something to be commended.

RAB

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 09:03:00 pm by RAB »

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 10:01:20 pm »
I have never used the stuff....thank god.

I hope these ads make a difference.

Jeff

Offline BeachNYC

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 06:44:51 am »
WOW!

My home delivery copy just arrived, and there it is, with "GAY MEN & CRYSTAL METH" in HUGE letters at the top of the full page ad. This will certainly get some attention.

As one who definitely attributes my HIV status to my use of meth, this is great thing to see. As the ad states, we must not "let crystal meth destroy another generation of gay men." Amen.

Robert
BeachNYC

Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir - started 5/13/2006
5/13/2006 - CD4 186; VL 52,000
5/30/2006 - CD4 117; VL 56,400 - (Somethin ain't right!)
6/19/2006 - CD4 295  VL 113
7/21/2006 - CD4 245  VL <50

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 07:07:34 am »

If you can't buy The Times, you can see a version of the ad at our new website, gaymeth.org.

On the home page, click the "See the New York Times ad" button in the lower right corner.

Please leave your comments about the ad on this new website, using the "SHOUT OUT" link.

Also, please consider signing the online version of the ad by clicking the "WHY SIGN ON?" link.

Thanks,

Peter
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 07:09:30 am by Peter Staley »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 07:33:57 am »
Hello Peter,

I bought my copy of the New York Times, this morning at 4:00 am. I've got to say, that this was a very impressive ad. It jumped right out of the paper at ya, and was right inside the first couple pages.

Our New York Times addition, is printed in Lakeland, Florida, and the ad appeared on Page A-5.

I thought the ad was very well written, and hopefully, will bring awareness to the ever growing problem of crystal meth, in the gay community.

It has been just 34 years, since I last done Crystal. I did it for a period of about 8 months, almost on a daily basis, when I was in the Army. I snorted it, and main lined it. I was also very fortunate, back then to have the common sense to realize the dangers of this drug and the addictiveness of it. It wasn't only the drug I was addicted to, it was the needle also.

I guess, I have become somewhat complacecent through the years. This ad, certainly gives all of us the necessary wake up call so badly needed. It's obvious, that the "War on Drugs" started so many years ago, is not doing it's job ( I never liked the idea of "war on drugs", that is simply not the answer, and is much more complexed then that, as stated in this ad.

I managed to copy the ad on two 11 by 17 sheets, and will see if I can get permission from our local downtown Establishment to post it. I am sure the owner, would agree, that it should be posted.

Now, I have got to go over to www.gaymeth.org  and check that out. To appreciate this ad, you have to see in in the paper.

Very good ad Peter/Thankyou------------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 10:37:29 am »
Sounds great. I'll look for one today.
'
Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline carousel

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 10:49:46 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:13:30 pm by carousel »

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 11:01:29 am »
Peter..........Saw it and it's a great ad.  I hope it reaches the one's who need it the worst.  I also
signed the manifesto.  Having a dear friend who's been hooked on Crystal for years, I've seen first hand
the impact it has on our friends and family.  A Big Thumbs Up to you and the others for this huge Effort.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline BrooklynGuy

• Tomorrow is not a promise, it's a gift.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 11:30:43 am »
This is a great ad and a great campaign.

I wish it existed 10 years ago when I had my bout with crystal which no doubt led to my infection.

Hope this helps to decrease current and future infections!
Infected:  Probably 1995
Diagnosed: June 2005
Baseline VL: 650,000
Baseline CD4: 30

Last Dr. Visit: 12/2013
VL: Undetectable
CD4: 700
Meds: Complera

Offline ademas

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 12:13:17 pm »
Excellent ad. 

I also had an affair with crystal that lasted about 10 months and damn near killed me.  I've been clean now for 12 years.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.