Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:36:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773201
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 513
Total: 516

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Looking for advice re treatment please.  (Read 2935 times)

Offline AverageJoe

Looking for advice re treatment please.
« on: December 17, 2013, 10:46:58 am »
Hello to all,

I'm an infrequent poster, but as always would like to thank all contributors to this forum which has helped me immensely over the last few years since diagnosis.

So I have enrolled into the START study (I just met the deadline before it closes).

I have been randomised for the treatment arm. Tomorrow I am meeting with my consultant to discuss treatment options.  Initial conversations suggest that I can choose between Darunavir/truvada ( and I guess Norvir booster), or Raltegravir/truvada.

I understand dosing options will vary between the two regimes, ie raltegravir may be twice daily, but I am not too concerned about this.

I guess I am looking for a bit of anecdotal and scientific input as to which will be the most tolerable option.

Since diagnosis in early 2010, my cd4 have been consistently about 500-600 and my VL between 3000-6000.

I have partial resistance to some NRTI,s and mixed tropism result.

Any advice appreciated , also anything I should think of discussing with my consultant  on Wednesday prior to agreeing on a regime

Thanks all!

James (in London UK)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Looking for advice re treatment please.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:16:35 am »
With some NRTI resistance I would go for darunavir, since the strength of this is likely to overcome mild NRTI resistance.

Raletgravir has the benefit of not really raising cholesterol. If you do choose raltegravir, and it doesn't work out, you can always switch to darunavir, but do note that newer integrase inbitors are likely to be a main choice of therapy for many in years to come, and getting resistance to raltegravir now because it can't quite top up the nukes may compromise your long term treatment choices.

It really does depend on the NRTI resistance in question, the above.

Either are generally regarded as low side effect combintions, so it's probably horses for courses here.

Good luck

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:18:01 am »
Either option is acceptable and a bit of a flip of the coin on which I would choose myself, and fyi I have taken all of those drugs listed.

All things being equal I'd say, if you are hinting at side effect potentials, you have this to consider:

Yes, you will need a norvir booster with the darunavir/truvada choice. IIRC it's only 100mg so hardly counts as a drug here. Some say they get diarrhea from this but most do not, and infrequent diarrhea is easily treated by upping your fiber intake (which is a good thing anyway for general health reasons) or taking imodium when neeed.

On the other hand, some people have sleep issues from raltegravir (IIRC the figure is something like 4%) but obviously the vast majority do not.

There are some reports that a protease inhibitor based regimen will raise cd4s quickly, and others that say an integrase inhibitor will do it quicker -- frankly I don't think there's enough data to clearly say, and anyway your cd4 count isn't low so that's not a huge consideration.

I'd probably take my chances with diarrhea over sleep issues, but in either case the chances of side effects are quite low. Also that would allow you to only take meds once per day.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AverageJoe

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 12:00:07 pm »
Thanks for your considered responses guys.  I will update you after my appt on Wednesday.

James.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 07:21:28 am »
James, I'm on the darunavir (Prezista)/Norvir/Truvada combo and overall, I like it. I had an increase in diarrhea in the first week/ten days, but it all quickly went back to normal. You're supposed to take it with a bit of food - a snack will do - so I take it with my afternoon meal as it makes it easier to remember. If you're a regular breakfast eater, that may be a good time too. Whatever meal you have at roughly the same time every day would be best.

I'm really happy to know you're taking part in the SMART study.  Far too many people (IMO) with really good numbers like yours (+500 CD4,  low VL) are whacked straight on to the meds these days without being part of a study, when we really don't know if there's actually any benefit to doing this. So thanks for taking part in finding out! :)

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AverageJoe

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:18:10 am »
Ok guys,

So I had my appt. I'm going to be starting the Darunavir/truvada/Norvir regime in early January. I'm going till wait till then as think it will be a boozy Christmas and want to start with a clear head!

Thanks for your advice and support!

I wish you all a happy Christmas.

James.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 08:49:04 am »
Sounds like a good plan, James. Waiting another couple weeks won't make any difference in the greater scheme of things. Daily adherence is extra important in the first month or so and we wouldn't want you forgetting a day, so early on, due to being too pissed or hung over. ;) Enjoy the holidays and get down to it in the new year.

Have fun!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.