Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:53:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 442
Total: 444

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do you gain weight with meds?  (Read 13119 times)

Offline peer_gynt

Do you gain weight with meds?
« on: November 21, 2011, 03:45:42 pm »
Hi All,

I am 26 years old, I have been always very healthy and active, actually one of the saddest things when I first got diagnosed was that I had to quit boxing...

Anyway... I was diagnosed last August, although I have been completely asymptomatic I started on medication five weeks ago (Atripla). The nurse and even the doctor pointed out that I gained 5 pounds... They actually commented that it if I dont do anything that could be 60 pounds in one year... ugh that was scary...
I have to say that I am hungry all the time as I keep a very active lifestyle (bike both ways to work, crossfit 5X per week) so I though it was pretty normal to be hungry...

I just wanted to ask if any of you guys had any problems with weight gain after the medication started?

It really scares me!!.

I would love to hear of your experiences.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:48:41 pm by peer_gynt »

Offline buginme2

Re: Do you gained weight with meds?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 04:14:23 pm »
Absolutely!  I gained about 20 pounds the first 6 months after I started Atripla.  Luckily it plateaued after that and I havent gained any more.   However I weigh more now than I ever have.  I guess the bright side is it could be worse.  Instaed of gaining weight we could be losing weight and waisting.

I dont eat a lot either and 90% of time eat vegetarian. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Do you gain weight with meds?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:47:47 pm »
My weight held steady (or declined) for 3 years. I only recently gained a few pounds after quitting smoking. So for me, meds didnt cause weight increase, however it must be noted that I'm not on Atripla and only took it for 4months years ago.

Btw, welcome Peer!

-Will
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:49:23 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:15:34 am »
You gain weight when you consume more calories than you burn within a given period of time.

To lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume within a given period of time.

That is all.

MtD

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:27:17 pm »
Hi All,

I just wanted to ask if any of you guys had any problems with weight gain after the medication started?

I would love to hear of your experiences.

Oh yes, After starting on meds, I gained as much as 40 pounds, the first year. But I really needed some of that weight back. At 5 feet 7 inches , I was as much as 180 pounds,   I am now at about 169. And it's mostly in the gut. ( which is another issue all-together.  :-\

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:02:54 pm »
The meds mess up with the mitochondria (cell parts that burn fat). That's why betaoxidation (burning) of fatty acid gets pokey. Instead of being burned, the fat is stored.

Calories are only one part of it.
Let's say, 90 minutes of jogging can burn 1000 calories in a healthy person,
but only 600 calories with people on meds (this is just an illustration).

I gained 40 pounds in a year, and it took 2 years to get me back (by jogging every day for like 90 minutes, and by restricting carb intake). I still go jogging, but not every day, 4-5 times a week for 90min. And I've started reintroducing carb (rice but not sweets). It's not just fat, it's all the fat was in my belly, it was gross.  >:(

Now, I have to jog and work out like crazy just to maintain my weight at 150 pounds. I'm 5' 10.1".
It is very difficult (psychologically).  :-\

When I get hungry, I get 4-5 whites (of an egg; boiled) and a can of tuna,
and a glass of tomato juice.  :)  I avoid bread (empty carbs that can be made into fat by our liver).

Eat a lot of protein and some healthy fat (like olive oil or nuts) that can help your organism absorb it.
Carbs only after a workout (to not lose your muscle).

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:23:04 pm by elf »

Offline sfpvguy41

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:43:17 am »
When i switched from Reyataz/Norvir and Truvada to Reyataz only and epzicom i lost 10 lbs without trying. Not sure which change mattered more, but it definitely changed my metabolism.
Labs: (undetectable since 2005)
12/13: 634 cdr, 37.3%, 758 cd8, total chol 183, triglycerides 131
8/13: changed to Edurant from Reyataz
12/12: 828 cd4, 34.5%, 1078 cd8, total chol 192, tri 196
12/11: 787 cd4, 37%, 979 cd8.
9/11: 758 cd4, 38%, 944 cd8, und.
8/11 dropped norvir, incr reyataz to 400 mg
6/11: 621 CD4 CD4% 41, CD8 680! Undetectable. Creatinine and eGFR are ok now.
Switched from Truvada to Epzicom in late April 2011
AGT/AST and creatinine back to normal mid-April.
Cut Norvir from regimen.
Switched back to Reyataz/Norvir late Feb 2011
2/11: CD4 664 34%, CD8 963, diagnosed with osteoporosis, high AGT/AST and creatinine.
12/10: CD4: 676 CD4%: 34 CD8: 1012
Switched from Reyataz/norvir to Isentress 10/10
8/10: CD4: 731 CD4%: 40 CD8: 866
Diagnosed Sept. 2002 started meds May 2005.

Offline BM

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:23:16 am »
While I've always been on the thin side, my thighs and backside have gained weight (making them normal-looking). However, this gain must have come from somewhere else as I'm still the weight I was before the changes happened.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 11:26:45 am »
Some people think they gained weight when, in fact, they simply regained weight lost during several years of undiagnosed HIV infection. Not saying that's what's going on with the OP, but it's something for people to keep in mind with this issue. 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline poglip

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 04:20:06 pm »
Most defiantly iv been on Atripla  about ten months now and have gained about 20 pounds my self all around the gut area, but only when i backed off from the gym and running due too work pressures, normally about this time of year i would put on a couple of pounds but not at this rate its pretty scary will have a word with the doc next time im at the clinic i suppose the only answer is to start working out more or change meds but as there doing a good job keeping the HIV under controle this probably isn't an option.   
Infected        Feb    2010
Negative test  March 2010
Tested Positive May 2010
VL 7568 CD4 465 21%
Sept 2010
VL 26512 CD4 434 18%
Dec 2010
VL 152669 CD4 308
Mar 2011
VL 251539 CD4 226 9% Started Atripla
Apr 2011
VL 256 CD4 256 11%
July 2011
VL Undetectable CD4 346 21%
23 Oct 2011
VL Undetectable CD4 199 17%

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 08:32:40 pm »
In response to your query, I had weighed 180lbs, pretty consistently, for about three years prior to beginning Atripla. After Atripla I still weighed 180lbs up to a year later. I have gained up to 190lbs lately but I have also been drinking protein drinks and eating more food (only the good stuff) because I'm working with my trainer to put on more muscle. Which is something my doc always wants me to do.

With HIV infection, and the treatments for it, I think there's almost nothing that can't happen to at least one person or another that doesn't happen to anyone else. But in your case, you mentioned you had to stop boxing and from what I've seen of people who do boxing, it burns a lot of calories. So, unless you switched to something else as effective at burning calories, that might be the reason for the 5lb gain.

Plus there's also option given by Miss Philicia which could also explain your recent weight gain.

As to being hungry...you seemed to have a VERY active life style...so being only 26 (yes...I can say it that way...I'm 52) and active I would only be worried if you weren't hungry all the time.

In any case, just keep an eye on it. If you do add 5lbs a month over four months then talk with your doctor again about it. But, if not, then think about what can replace boxing.

Best of luck
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline Bbnb

• say Hi! I love to chat !
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 09:28:13 am »
I definitely gained weight on atripla but there were times I wasn't eating healthy too.For myself at least, I can't completely blame any side effects although i am sure it had a role with my unhealthy eating.  I do notice that now that i am active and I try to stay healthy but still struggle to maintain a healthy weight regardless of my healthier lifestyle.
Just looking to socialized with like minded people.

Offline texas

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 10:34:06 am »
OH yeah I gained weight like it was My Job. I'm On truvada An IS so granted its not the same meds, I sure did. I think alot of it has to do with whats going on but once my body and the meds started working together i leveled out a bit. Did however start a Whole foods plant based diet. I was in the same boat as You with my training 5-6 days a week. talk with your doc about seeing someone for your diet that helps more than you know. Ive got more energy an feel great. GOOD LUCK GUY! ;D

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 03:07:54 pm »
i've been on atripla for going on my 6th month now but my weight is still the same as  124 lbs @ 5foot 3 but noticed i seen others i know on atripla look like they're 9 monthes pregnant with twins ,,,,lol to me as well as 2 of my friends that been on atripla alot longer than i have said its the matter what you eat and how much

Offline brenner

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 11:53:42 am »
What miss philicia said...i had rapid weight loss prior to meds..lost 20 lbs in 2 months, and i was eating all the time...the weight just kept going down.  After 6 months on atripla, im back to my normal weight and its stayed there...dont really exercise or eat mega healthy...but feeling great and back to normal...
Feb 23. 2011  poz diagnosed
Feb 28.  cd4 257, vl 262400, %21
Mar 14.  start Atripla
May 18.  cd4 639, vl 690, %33
Aug 19.  cd4 583, vl 60, %38
Nov 18.  cd4 450, vl UD, %38
Feb.19   cd4 649, vl UD, %35
Jun 08.  cd4 524, vl UD, %34
Sep 16.  cd4 567, vl UD, %35
Dec 02.  cd4 592, vl UD, %35
Mar 10.  cd4 688, vl UD, %35

Offline darryaz

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 12:07:54 pm »
Some people think they gained weight when, in fact, they simply regained weight lost during several years of undiagnosed HIV infection. Not saying that's what's going on with the OP, but it's something for people to keep in mind with this issue.

I have to agree with this one.  It's definitely what happened to me.

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 11:05:59 pm »

(I remember you said you were on a Prezista regimen)
I am starting the Norvir/Prezista/Truvada combo in the next 1-2 weeks. (Twice a day)

I have stayed relatively steady weight with my four years of HIV. (At least I think so. I have lost muscle) What makes the person gain the weight? Is it the increased appetite? Metabolism slow down?
Ahh combination of both. Maybe.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.