Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:47:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 671
Total: 673

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Circumcision and vl 20  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Forgiven82

Circumcision and vl 20
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:45:34 am »
Hi!

So im wondering, what is all this i hear about circumcision in heterosexual couples? Im negative and my boy friend is positive and he is not circumcised. His last bloods 2 weeks ago came back at 20 vl and cd4 was 224. We have been told that he is well medicated and if we drop the condom the chance of me getting infected is nit likely. Last bloods in june were un detectable.  Does anyone know why it goes up and down with VL? And is it so that he should be circumsized to not infect me? We have been dropping the condom on several occasions. And no Prep is not available here in norway! :-) thanks!!

Offline wolfter

Re: Circumcision and vl 20
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:53:57 am »
Studies have been done and the results were insufficient.  The issue of cicrumcision is that it was/is believed by some that an uncirumcised male could more easily acquire HIV.  It has nothing to do with his partner's potential for acquiring it.

A vl of 20 is still basically UD.  It's all about the sensitivity of the test.  UD does not mean a 0 vl. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:59:33 pm »
Studies have been done and the results were insufficient.  The issue of cicrumcision is that it was/is believed by some that an uncirumcised male could more easily acquire HIV.
This is interesting.. I, being an uncut male have "acquired" hiv from unprotected sex with a female.. I had to google this one :o..

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prevention/research/malecircumcision/

* Male circumcision reduces the risk that a man will acquire HIV from an infected female partner, and also lowers the risk of other STDs , penile cancer, and infant urinary tract infection.

* For female partners, male circumcision reduces the risk of cervical cancer, genital ulceration, bacterial vaginosis, trichomoniasis, and HPV. Although male circumcision has risks including pain, bleeding, and infection, more serious complications are rare

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 11:56:49 am »
She was inquiring about an increased risk for HIV for HER in regards to him not being cirumcised. 

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 12:31:21 pm »
1)  Does anyone know why it goes up and down with VL?
2) And is it so that he should be circumsized to not infect me?
3) We have been dropping the condom on several occasions. And no Prep is not available here in norway! :-) thanks!!

1) I dont understand the question. Why what goes up and down?

2) what Wolfter said. The state of his penis - cut or uncut - doesn't mean anything if he is undetectable.  Did some doctor tell you otherwise?  Would be interesting if you share the info your doctor has given you.

3) since we are not doctors you are just getting answers based on some people with a lot of experience.  So again did your doctors give you the OK to go ahead without condoms or not?    Also, what Wolfter said.  Supposedly the risk of transmission is "near 0" but no doctor wants to come out and say 0 of course.

Also - I think its recommended to wait until the HIV+ treated person is undetectable quite a long time, so not a matter of months but consistently undetectable for over a year at least.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 10:44:55 pm »
"Although male circumcision has risks including pain, bleeding..."

#nuffsaid

Offline Forgiven82

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 05:44:21 pm »
Hi! And thank you for all your answers.
1) my question was why does the virus load go up snd down? Some months he is undetectable and some months its a load of 20, 30 ect

2) his doc has not said anything about being cut or not. I just had a general question.

3) yes his doc has said we can drop the condom if we are free from all other stds and in a monogamous relationship.  And his virus load is undetectable or even at 20 as it was 2 weeks ago. He is at a check up every 12 weeks.

I am aware that there might not be doctors here, but there are alot of smart people who are long term survivors and have alot of insight so i feel like asking here is pretty okay. I do still ask the doctor but tjings come up along the way :-) thanks again you all. Its been helpfull :-)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 06:24:18 pm »
There are different possibilities why someone might cycle between "UD" and a VL like 20.  Different labs, vagaries of testing, particular moment blood is drawn.
20 is for most purposes "undetectable" and we can assume your doc considered 20 or 30 undetectable because he/she gave the Ok to abandon condoms.

:)

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.