Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:43:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 604
Total: 606

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Considering change from Kaletra/Invirase to Prezista...  (Read 3794 times)

Offline jjmcm

Considering change from Kaletra/Invirase to Prezista...
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:02:55 am »
In 2005 I had to get medieval with my virus - Kaletra/Invirase, Fuzeon, and AZT.  It made me undetectable for the first time in ten years of treatment.  In December '07, we replaced the AZT with Truvada which I had been on previously.  Earlier this year I swapped out the Fuzeon with Isentress.  My VL stayed undectable both times. 

Now, my doctor has mentioned replacing the Kaletra/Invirase with Prezista.  I am nervous about this because I wonder if it is strong enough to replace both of them.  His logic is that we need to do it before I develop resistance to Kaletra.  I have read that once that happens Prezista only works in about 1/3 of the cases.

Has anyone else made this move successfully?   I appreciate the input.  Also, I am allergic to Bactrim, but my doctor says that he has not had problems associated with the sulfa in Prezista.

Thanks in advance.

--JJ

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Considering change from Kaletra/Invirase to Prezista...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:33:03 am »
jjmcm: I did a lot of similar switching (I was on Kaletra/Invirase/Truvada then switched to Fuzeon/Prezista/Truvada and now am on Isentress/Prezista/Truvada) and I've not only maintained my lab numbers but they've continually improved (I didn't suppress my viral load for the first time, like you, until the Fuzeon phase, after over a decade of HIV meds)

At any rate, I don't know where you read this "1/3" thing about Prezista.  I've not heard that, nor have I read of complaints like this of others on that medication, either in "real life" where I live nor on this web forum.  Plus if you have diarrhea issues from that nasty Invirase/Kaletra combo it will improve immeasurably by switching to Prezista.

I'm actually surprised that your doctor didn't switch you earlier, because there was a couple of studies showing a better synergy in combining Fuzeon with Prezista as opposed to doing it later, and of course Prezista has been FDA approved now for two years, whereas Isentress is less than a year old.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jjmcm

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 06:39:35 pm »
Thanks for the response Philly.  I am just nervous about switching when something is working.  While Fuzeon saved my life, after 2 1/2 years I had enough of it.  I am glad the Isentress worked.

My doctor seems to have confidence that the Prezista will do the job.  The 1/3 thing is when you have previous experience with Kaletra and you develop significant resistance.  At that point, only about 1/3 have an effective response with Prezista.

That is the reason I would like to discontinue the Kaletra before I develop those resistance patterns and reduce the likelihood that the Prezista will work.  Are you allergic to Bactrim also?  No rash problems with the Prezista?

BTW, if you or anyone else has problems with diarrhea, I take Pure Green Power from Springboard4health.com and it has virtually eliminated it.  I take it twice a day with a little organic apple juice, black cherry juice, and aloe vera.  I had diarrhea for years and now take nothing except the green power.

Thanks...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:54:12 am »

My doctor seems to have confidence that the Prezista will do the job.  The 1/3 thing is when you have previous experience with Kaletra and you develop significant resistance.  At that point, only about 1/3 have an effective response with Prezista.

Again, I understand what you're trying to say, but I'm just not sure that it's accurate.  Can you show me a link to a study?  Where did you hear of this?

That is the reason I would like to discontinue the Kaletra before I develop those resistance patterns and reduce the likelihood that the Prezista will work.  Are you allergic to Bactrim also?  No rash problems with the Prezista?

Huh?  Are you sure that you're not already resistant to the PI class of meds?  That's generally why they put one on Prezista.

And yes I got a rash and discontinued Bactrim, but that happened over a decade before I went on Prezista.  The sulfa in Prezista did not cause me any reaction.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.