Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:35:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 457
Total: 458

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Herniated disk and labral tear  (Read 7750 times)

Offline Jody

Herniated disk and labral tear
« on: December 19, 2012, 01:02:05 pm »
I've been suffering since mid-October with a bad back.  First the doctor thought it was sciatica as I had the class pain in the butt symptoms.  But an MRI showed a herniated disk in the spine and labral tear of the right hip.  I just started physical therapy with hopes that will get it better.  An injection would be the second option and dreaded surgery the last.

But today the pain spread to the left lower back and leg as I got out of bed.  I got a tempur-pedic bed last January but the pain didn't start until October so I guess I can rule that out, you never know.  I thought maybe I exercised incorrectly so I have laid off the weights since October.  Movement of any kind is fine but sitting and getting up and some sleep positions are hurtful.  Oh well, such is getting old I guess, 57 years of abuse-LOL.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline wolfter

Re: Herniated disk and labral tear
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 01:05:34 pm »
Damn buddy.  Sorry you're dealing with this.  Hopefully you can get this under control without the need for surgery.

Sending positive energy your way!

hugs!!!!
Greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 01:11:45 pm »
Jody   really  sorry to hear of the  disc  issue   went thru that a few years  ago ,, ended up  having a " drainage" procedure  ( stick a big needle  carefully into the area and drain fluid)  then rehab and wearing a back brace for a few months .

drain procedure was not  painful and immediately  relieved the pressure...  ...watched the  whole thing on the  monitor .....

good  luck with whatever they can do for you...really understand the pain...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:51 pm »
I'm sorry you are going through this Jody . If its any comfort to know I have had pretty good results with the injections and physical therapy , its been a probelm with me since I was a kid .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:38:44 pm »
Geez Jody, Sorry to hear about this :(

I hope the therapy goes well. Keep us posted on it all.

-WIll
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:29:08 pm »
Thinking of you Jody and hope you get better soon!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 10:00:32 pm »
I had a herniated disk (the L5-S1) about 5 years ago.  I feel for you, the pain is miserable.  I hope you feel better.

If it does get worse though there are some options.  I ended up having surgery and as far as surgerys go it was very easy (was home walking in a couple hours, no pain, back at work in a week).  So there is hope if the PT doesnt help.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jody

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 10:25:42 pm »
Thanks guys for your always helpful advice and concern.  I'll keep a smile on my face as long as I can, dumb as I may look.  This too shall pass, far worse things have happened to better men than me (although not that much better).   ;)

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline scotty54

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:57:14 pm »
Altho I dont know much about herniated discs, I hope the therapy route works for you. 

Hope it doesnt get you down.......I know if I cant work out I get fidgety.

And Jody.....57 is the new 45.  ;)
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 12:50:01 am »
Wishing you pain-free days.  I had surgery on my L4, L5, and S1 discs.  It did allow me to stand up straight, but that's about it.  Before the surgery, I was hunched over. The pain does affect your life.  My recent MRI showed more bulging discs.  It use to be all lumbar, but now my cervical spine is jacked up. 

So, I feel for you and wish you better back health.  I really think genetics play more a role than age.  Well, evolution.  But, don't say that to certain people..lol.  How long have we stood upright?  200,000 years?  I always forget.  Our backs haven't caught up in the evolution process. 

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 07:35:57 am »
Jody,

Sorry to hear about the back issues -- back pain is definitely not for sissies!!  Hope you get relief from the least invasive way possible. 

Hugs (gentle -- don't want to squeeze that back!)

Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 07:51:47 am »
I just have to add that at first glance my dyslexic brain reads the title to this thread as Herniated disk and labia tear .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Iggy

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 09:21:07 am »
Sometime in late 2001/early 2002 I suffered from a herniated disc which started the worst 10 weeks of pain and physical aggravation in my life.

I don't know much about labral tears but I can only imagine that anything in conjunction with a herniated disc is god awful.

Hope you get through it as well as possible!

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 02:53:03 am »
I have a herniated disk L5 to L4 and some problems in S1.  I was told it's the most common area to have problems. 

At one point I was basically immobile for a few days, but I live alone and had to fend for myself.  I could not do anything but lie down to relieve the discomfort.  I forced myself to the nearest Walgreens and lived for several days on Chex mix and Frosted Flakes as I could not be up for long and had to eat on my back.

Showering before I went to the ER was a nightmare, you can't imagine how many times you notice that you drop the soap until you can't pick it up.  .  Getting in an out of the car was a nightmare which took 5 minutes and all my strength to do. Putting my underwear on and shorts was a matter of dangling them and trying to catch my feet because I could not bend over.  Sitting on the toilet bowl was torture too.

When I got to the ER I could not lift my legs enough to get them on the footrests of the wheelchair.  They did a urine test to make sure I was not faking it and gave me a morphine shot and did xrays, which didn't show anything.  Thank God they also gave me a Vicodin prescription.

Then the MRI a few days later showed the herniated disk.  For a few weeks I walked with a cane and I was terrified that it would stay like that.  About a month later I went to physical therapy once  a week. Eventually it got better on it's own and I am fine now, but I always have to be careful because I will always have the herniated disk, but the last thing I want is any back surgery.

Good luck to you, and hope you feel better soon.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:57:59 am by LiveWithIt »
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline novemberguy

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 12:19:17 pm »
My suggestion for you is:
1. Go back to your Physical Therapist & resume PT sessions, be sure to become a good patient, and the definition of good patient im talkin' about here is a very compliant one.
2. If you're obese or overweight, you better start shedding off those fats because your weight is contributing to you pain. We give out more stress to the back in the sitting position than standing that's why I suggest:
3. To stand up from time to time to avoid prolonged sitting for it will trigger/worsen the pain.

>Hope this helps

-From the poz southeast asian physical therapist =)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.