Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:36:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773155
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Well It's Been A Year Today  (Read 8063 times)

Offline cubbybear

Well It's Been A Year Today
« on: September 16, 2006, 09:38:34 pm »
Hey Guys.

Well today is my first AIDS birthday.  Though I know I have been infected for about 5 or 6 years, I was only diagnosed when I went in to hospital because I couldn't breathe and lost a good 60lbs, a year ago today.  And what a diagnosis it was.. HIV, AIDS (CD4 35/VL 293,000), PCP, Oesophageal Thrush, Pancytopenia, full on funky rash and more..  A couple weeks in hospital, a couple of blood transfusions, starting meds straight away.. it all seemed to work out.  Viral load was undetectable after a couple weeks and has stayed that way, and my CD4 is now 197, if not higher *fingers crossed*.

I've come a long way since then.  I've regained my lost 60lbs (and then a couple extra), I used to cry heaps and worry about dying, but not anymore.  When I first started meds I used to vomit everyday, and could not stay off the toilet.  I swear I had the hershey's from the Abyss.  Thankfully no more side effects, and I just pop those orange sustiva pills and truvada, like candy.  I've left a relationship of 4 years, and I think that was a healthy thing for me to do at the time, and although I still live with my ex partner (who's negative btw.), we get on better than ever now.  The break up wasn't HIV/AIDS related, it was a rocky boat way before that. 

I still have my moments and moods just like the next person, but over all it's all good.  I am happy to be able to have a life now, and I'm enjoying it a lot more.

I think coming here has helped the most with getting myself sorted emotionally.  Meeting people who have been where I have, and are going where I am helps.  Many of you guys are very close to my heart, even when I don't get on here much, which doesn't mean I don't think of you any less.  And I have my definite favourites, and you know who you are, well I hope you do.  I want to thank everyone who's posted in my threads offering support and advice.

Anyway, just wanted to say g'day, and post my 1 year HIV/AIDS diagnosis birthday post.  It would have been a much bumpier ride without these forums and the people in them.

Love ya's all.
Matt
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:14:35 pm by cubbybear »

Offline carousel

Re: Well It's Been A Year Today
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 09:51:07 pm »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:13:52 pm by carousel »

Offline Blixer

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 10:02:51 pm »
Hi Matt,
Sounds like you have come a long way in the last year.  Nice improvement in numbers and it sounds like your health is good too.  I've been diagnosed less than a year and it sure did turn my life upside down. I'm just now feeling like I'm getting back into a routine and moving on with life.  Best of luck on many more "anniversaries".
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 10:10:56 pm »
You've come a long way. The labs are looking good and I'm sure things in your life are only going to improve. Woof! ;D

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 10:18:10 pm »
Hey C, David & Ford thanks for the replies (and the Woof!) haha.

I'm definitely hoping for a lot more onward and upward yet on a lot of levels, I think that trend is happening.

It's all good, I'm just glad to be here.

Matt

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 10:38:35 pm »
Big "CUBBY BEAR HUGS".

I know you have had a few bumpy rides along the way and it's been a long ride, but you made it, and with that wonderful attitude of yours things can only get better.

Hugs
Jan :-*
(who love her baby bear)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 11:32:53 pm »
Hope this is the first of many for you buddy. Keep up the good attitude!
Positive since 1985

Offline randym431

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 12:16:54 am »
Hey dear Matt
A year for me too this month. I just totally ignored it since I am feeling better than I have in years, maybe even before hiv??? Kinda strange.
You have been thru a lot besides hiv in the last year so its great you seem to be doing great both physically and mentally.

And as to "I still live with my ex partner, we get on better than ever now",
I think I suggested that in a post to you once. Its weird how that works out, being better friends AFTER the breakup than during the partnership.

I'm glad you are still living together. Its like a little support group built in. The fact that you two can live together and be good friends says a lot about you, and your x. You're what we in the midwest call "good people".
Dont be surprised of the good things the future may bring to both of you.

All the best and take care. "Love that picture!!!" (are you flirting with me with that come hither look???)  ;)  :D
randy
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 12:22:47 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 01:54:48 am »
Hey Matt,

Been thinking about ya, And sending you a big ole bear hug!! ;)These type of  anniversaries can have different meanings for some, and you certainly had a rough start, but you are doing so much better now. I am happy that you are able to get along with your X, much better also. Nobody needs any additional stress in their lives...

As far as the mood swings, and those moments, yes I still get them on occassion, but no where near as bad as I did a few years ago. Everything has somewhat mellowed out for me, if thats possible... :P

All the best to you-----------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 02:11:35 am »
Hi Matt...

good to hear from you.  I know you've had a tough go at it but it sounds like it's getting better.  I remember you tried to go back to work last spring but it was just too soon.  Are you working now?  Full time?  Part time? 

As you noted, it's been a year since your dreadful bout with PCP.  Only a year. I'm not convinced even a year is long enough to warrant work again.  Please take it easy and take your time. 

bearhugs...robert

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 05:11:51 am »
Hi Matt,

May your one year birthday be the first of many. It was 18 years ago for me.

I used to cry heaps and worry about dying, but not anymore.

I actually have an appointment next week with the doctor who gave me my diagnosis and a prognosis of six months to live. I think I'll remind him of that just for laughs.  ;)  LOL

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 07:07:30 am »
Hi Matt,

Thanks for placing your mug shot back up.  Your face and heart have been a pleasant and bright addition to this forum, and I have to congratulate you on the progress you have made over the last year.  The physical stuff is pretty much what we all have to go through, but your emotional growth over the last year shows me that you will "Live Long and Prosper". 

Keep up the good work, and check in here when you get the time. 

In Love, and Support.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 07:14:48 am »
Happy aniversary! This is the first one of many, many more! My first aniversary since diagnosis is next month. My HIV is Libra. ;)
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 10:52:50 am »

Matt,

This month is a year for me also...  09-15-05 is tattooed on my back along with a biohazard sign.  Just my way of having a little fun with something so fucking dreadful and serious.

Oh yea sorry, Happy Anniversary :'(

Tom
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Christine

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 01:55:35 pm »
Hi Matt,
Here's to many, many more Anniversaries! Best Wishes to you!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 05:30:14 pm »
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Teresa

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 06:23:32 pm »
Matt,

Heres to many, many, more anniversaries!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 06:26:59 pm »
Matt, Happy Anniversary full of reflection of where you came from and where your going...  Not a year I wana relive myself for sure!!

September was a positive month!   A year for me to this month....   

Love

Offline Eldon

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 07:14:19 pm »
Hello Matt,

It is always good to hear the news that a fellow member is doing well. Surely it has been rough but down the road it gets even better. Happy Anniversary and I wish you many more as well.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 07:19:40 pm »
Hi Matt!

happy anniversary, my cubby bear...I think you have had an amazing journey in the past year.   You have made great progress, something that took some of us SEVERAL years to do.

So congratulations!  and hugs....

Alan   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Iggy

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 08:56:54 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:22:04 pm by Iggy »

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 04:41:21 am »
Wow, Osito.

You know you are so dear to me.  We've chatted quite a bit over these past few months, and you are up there in a select group of individuals.  I won't say much more, because i'm private kinda guy.

I will say that you are a very, very special person to me.  And you know that (I hope you do anyway  ;))

Much love always,
Your Oso

Offline eirin

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 05:06:44 am »
Big hugs to you!

And a lot of luck and good health in the coming years!

:-* :-* :-*

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 06:37:54 am »
Matt,

Glad to see things are looking better for you!

Keep healthy, keep thinking those happy thoughts.

Be well!
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Nadine

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 06:47:11 am »
Dear Matt,

I'm so happy that your feeling good these days!

((BIG HUGS))

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 07:42:14 am »

Happy Anniversary  :)

I'm looking forward to mine this February 2007.

I'm glad that things have improved for you and now that you've found a groove things are going well.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 08:27:25 am by jordan »
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 08:37:09 am »
Hey Matt....

Happy Anniversary, Good Buddy.  I must say your post touched my heart and whether or not I'm one of your favorites...you're definitely tops in my book.  As a survivor of such overwhelming challenges, you have managed to pull yourself up by your boot straps and make a go of it...and I admire you for it.  I pray you have many such anniversaries.  Best of luck my dear fellow...........You're an inspiration to us all :-*
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 08:47:15 am »
Happy Anniversary to You. May there be many more for you.
Here's to your continuing optimism and health.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 10:57:02 am »
Matt,

Congratulations on the first anniversary! It really is the most emotional, especially when it wallops you the way your's did.

I am delighted you have been a part of my life and, someday, I hope to give you a big bear hug in person. The Land Down Under is beckoning me. Now if someone would just inform my bank account.

(((((((BIG BEAR HUG)))))))

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline TugaMan

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 05:12:47 pm »
Hi Matt!

Happybirthday! Mine is going to be in two days. Same days I'm visiting my new doc. Let's keep fingers crossed.
For me... well, i went to the cinema feeling ok (The Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy) started feeling tired and sick during the film... and went back home thinking i had caught a flu.
After three weeks of "flu" i found out i was seroconverting... oh well i told this story already... but these days are "remarkable"..

Bear hugs!!!

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2006, 08:30:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for your kind words.  It certainly seems like september was a busy month for a lot of us.  Onwards and upwards for all of us.

big woofy hugs and much love!
Matt

Offline texasguy

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2006, 08:38:07 pm »
Hi Matt,
I remember you from my first days on here.  You were so nice and supportive even with all you were going through at that time.  I'm not quite a year yet and still somewhat sorting things out.  Glad you are doing well and much happiness to you!
8/12/2008    102        402      26.8
                    VL         CD4     CD4%
7/11/2008   Started Atripla and Lisinopril for high blood pressure
6/8     654000(?) 347     20.4
5/08   42100       287      20.5
11/07 52930       438     27.3
5/07   48800       356     22.2
2/07   89000       316     23.2
7/06   51700       459     25.3
2/06   346000     386     20.3
           VL          CD4     CD4%
Poz Antibody Test January 2006
Seroconversion December 2005
Exposure November 2005

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 02:01:01 pm »
Hey Matt.......

the 2nd year will be easier.........promise!

Glad your face is back, baby!

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline kykeith

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 03:32:32 pm »
hey matt...thanks for the post...i "celebrate" one year next month...woo hoo!!!!...but pretty similar situation as yours...glad you're doing better now than then...keith

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.