Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:06:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 460
Total: 461

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV+ individuals Entering US  (Read 10839 times)

Offline pinkadam

HIV+ individuals Entering US
« on: October 09, 2006, 08:41:02 pm »
Hi Guys

Iam a Permanent Resident Of US and i was tested Positive couple of months back. Currently iam on medication and iam planning a trip to abroad(Asia). I was wondering what kind of issues will arise from Immigartion when i re enter US. Do i have to disclose my HIV status. What should i do with my medication.

Thanks a head

Tony

Offline tsw923

Re: HIV+ individuals Entering US
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 12:01:00 am »
Tony,

Did you ever get a (private) response back to this?  I love to travel and I was quite alarmed when I readd online that folks who where HIV+ were not being allowed to other countries (US included).  I did ask my doctor this when I went to him with my 18 carefully researched questions (yes I can get quite detailed when I want to  ;D) and his response was that yes some countries denied HIV+ people the right to enter, but to just take my meds out of the bottle and put them in a pill case or a tylenol bottle, etc.  I would think that is you are a US citizen and you leave and then come back it shouldn't be a problem but, this is a strange world we live in....

Ty
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline pinkadam

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 02:50:52 pm »
Hey Ty

No one responded to my question so far. Looks like not very many people are in my situation. Some people did suggested to  mix the pills with other tylenol pills but some of the HIV medication have names on the capsules(eg: Sustiva). It is so wierd how US try to lead the world as the most powerful nation in the world and still discriminates people(foreigners) with HIV and expect everyone to be sincere and honest about HIV diagnosis.

I did see some people who tried to mix the pills with regular pills and still faced issues.
Iam trying to figure out if there is a law that prevent this kind of discrimination against people.

Tony

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 05:15:09 pm »
http://www.immigrationequality.org/template.php?pageid=177 Check this out and see if you can get the information that you need. You may be able to call someone that can help you. I wouldn't suggest that you transfer any medication out of their respective bottles. You'll need to be able to show that you have a prescription for each medicine.

Offline tsw923

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 06:10:10 pm »
This looks like a great website for folks trying to immigrate.  What about a US citizen taking a vacation to France or Japan, etc.  Will we get turned away for going on vacation?  Or does this just apply if were thinking of living/establishing a residence outside of the US?
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline Just John

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 06:55:54 pm »
Hi Guys,

I don't know if this answers any of your questions but I have used this site often for much of my information.

Hope it helps, John.

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/docs/C92D5639-E779-44EC-B8F8-0CECCC23275A.asp
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline tsw923

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 08:01:24 pm »
Thanks, this is just what I needed.

Ty

Offline Lakis

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 04:39:15 pm »
As long u r NOT a citizen do NOT disclosure ur hiv status.U r Lucky that before u got green card ur bloodwork was OK.Now keep quiet till u get ur citizenship

Offline chadnla

• Relaxed in SoCal
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 09:02:09 pm »
I've been to France each of the last 3 years and never had a problem there or re-entering here.  Or Thailand either for that matter. I always put my pills in a 7-day case or have even used my HIV med bottle. Maybe I wont do the latter any more.
"I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing."

Offline koi1

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 05:54:36 pm »
Leave it up to the U.S. to develp a brainless idiot policy. Don't they know that those who know of their status are less likely to infect other people, than those who are HIV+ but don't know? Forcing people to travel without meds or hide them creates an anxiety that is inhumane and helps nobody, making us feel less than human.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline UALaw77

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 01:01:09 pm »
I'm actually an immigration attorney.  Let me know if this issue arises for anyone.

Offline koi1

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 10:51:07 am »
"The countries that have a similar ban on all HIV-positive tourists, travelers and immigrants are Armenia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Iraq, Libya, Moldavia, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, South Korea, Sudan and the U.S. Great company, no?"

quoted from Andrw Sullivan's page.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 11:06:31 am »
Hey Pink,
  I posted on this the other day.  I'm going to China, which doesn't allow HIV folks in technically.  Course I found this out after I booked.  I went to Iceland this past summer and didn't even think to check!  I can't be hampered by fear and prejudice.  I'll go where I please and the countries will benefit my money flowing in and will like it.  I carry my pills in a pill minder or two.  I've never been hassled.  I've gone to France, Italy and Holland.  I can't be bothered worrying and I will see this world regardless.  Now as for the Chinese, I'm not sure about how fanatical they are about border checks.  I may take a 12 day meds holiday when I go.  I may not.  I'll call it at the time.  Don't avoid travel!  We don't know how much time is allotted to us and we need to enjoy our lives.  Incidentally, there are many who will violently disagree, but to me travel is what makes my life enjoyable - it's worth a break in meds if necessary, whatever the outcome. 
Ernie

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 11:09:28 am »
Oh, by the way.  On an emotional level with regards to nations, such as China and the US who discriminate against HIV poz folks:

FUCK THEM !

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 09:53:39 pm »
Two things of note...

1. I traveled to Thailand just this past Nov/Dec. Their policy though not written in stone (not much is in Thailand) is that they may refuse entry to persons who are HIV positive. Let me go out on a limb here and state that coming from the U.S. has it's privileges in that I was barely given a cursory glance as I went through their customs. Not even a check of the bags going in. Nor were any of my other friends who were also positive who happened to be visiting at the same time that I was. have I mentioned how much I love Thailand!  ;D

2. Returning from Thailand and entering the U.S. I went through customs in San Francisco. Trust me they've seen it all and if you are an American citizen with a valid passport and HIV drugs bulging from your pockets, I suspect that as long as you have a copy from your doctor of your prescriptions I don't believe that you'll have any problems on reentry. I was of course checked through customs with a complete bag check (no body cavity though, darn!).  :D  If you are visiting outside the U.S. anyway, I think it's a good idea to keep a copy of your scripts.

My two cents...
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 10:03:24 pm »
Hey Ty

No one responded to my question so far. Looks like not very many people are in my situation. Some people did suggested to  mix the pills with other tylenol pills but some of the HIV medication have names on the capsules(eg: Sustiva). It is so wierd how US try to lead the world as the most powerful nation in the world and still discriminates people(foreigners) with HIV and expect everyone to be sincere and honest about HIV diagnosis.

I did see some people who tried to mix the pills with regular pills and still faced issues.
Iam trying to figure out if there is a law that prevent this kind of discrimination against people.

Tony

Call a gay travel agent.   Most of them should have all the current details.    I would not recommend hiding HIV meds.    There are some countries which will not let you in and you can be jailed for trying to smuggle in meds.   Other countries require special visas.    It's just best to check ahead of time.   I believe the US State Department would be able to answer your question as well.

Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Angelove

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 12:36:10 pm »
Hi... quick question for you.  I'm a nurse here in Canada and was for a time thinking about working in the U.S.  The thing is, I've been told that I can't get a work visa based on my status.  Is this absolutely true?  I'd appreciate any help you can offer.  As well, based on your post regarding the performance of the nurse at your last appointment it sounds like you need a few who know what the hell they are doing. 

Sincerely, J.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:40:03 pm by Angelove »
It's the chance of having a dream come true the makes life so interesting.  Paulo Coelho ~ The Alchemist.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 01:29:52 pm »
pinkadam:
 Should be no issues entering United States with your meds. No need to hide them. In fact, board the plane with them in a carry-on or shoulder bag--in case something happens to your luggage (lost or delayed awhile). Asia? I'd recommend finding out if the particular country has a restriction.
 Whether you'd go or not is your call...but I'd think twice about any "drug holiday". Check with your doctor before following any advice other than what your doctor tells you, OK?. To each his/her own, but there is a possibility of developing a resistance to aids-med drugs with noncompliance. Don't make it easy for the HIV virus to figure a resistance to current medication. Be ON TIME with MEDS whenever you can; don't skip. If something happens to delay taking your meds then do so at the next/nearest possible opportunity.

I've been in and out of this country a few times in the last few years and have yet to disclose my HIV status. On one trip one of the baggage inspectors eyed my drugs (in carry-on) awfully hard but never asked. It was kind of embarrassing since he took each script out and laid it to the side...and kept that up till he had satisfied his curiosity. The next guy in line was a very old man. Man, he had a whole pharmacy with him. Gallon zip lock bag full of prescriptions. So, don't sweat it; there is nothing security point inspectors haven't seen. I haven't felt embarassed since that episode.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 01:34:39 pm by mjmel »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.