Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:17:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 599
Total: 600

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recently tested positive  (Read 6199 times)

Offline daveR

Recently tested positive
« on: December 23, 2016, 05:47:17 am »
Hi all,

I tested positive on 25th June, standard test followed by 2 additional confirmation tests. Then the painful one week wait for the final confirmation. Probably the worst week of my life, although after not sleeping the first two nights I managed to convince myself it was all some big mistake. I was wrong.

My initial figures were according to the doctor were "good", how she though me having HIV was in any way good was beyond me at the time. CD4 at 330 and 30% with a vl of 21800. After a while her optimism filtered through to me. I had it regardless of what I wanted but my body had not been over run by it yet. That was on 1st July. I took my first ARV's on the 2nd, another day that changed my life. Strangely enough I didn't grow another head or change colour, I didn't feel anything so just kept on taking them every 24 hrs, +/- 10 minutes, I know, a bit over cautious but I am still relatively new to this. Bloods were checked and the tests last week showed a CD4 of 957 at 36%, vl undetectable and a CD4/CD8 ratio of 0.83. All with no ill feelings bar a touch of stomach problems for the first few weeks.

All other blood work is normal and the fact that I have to take a bit more care of myself has got me back in the gym running and working out again at the tender age of 53. I live in Thailand so don't get access to the state of the art drugs but Truvada and its friend Edurant are doing a good job for now till the new stuff gets here. My initial mental issues have gone, did so after about 3 months when I woke up and looked in the mirror first thing in the morning and instead of asking "Why me, who, where, when and how", I just asked "Why not me" and accepted it.

After reading news articles and forums like Poz I am looking forward to a full, healthy and a life as long as normal. I can't say I am proud of myself for ending up here, after all I am an educated guy from the UK, grew up with all of the early scary stuff that was out there so have only myself to blame, but this is where I am.

Good luck to you all and if any newly infected people, I hate that word infected, makes us sound like the unclean and outcast, read this, don't panic it is life as normal.

Dave

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Recently tested positive
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 06:00:37 am »
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us and that you are on treatment and doing well. Excellent that you did not grow an additional head or change colour when starting treatment  :)

After reading news articles and forums like Poz I am looking forward to a full, healthy and a life as long as normal.

Indeed and its something worth repeating.

Hope to hear more from you on the forums and try not to blame yourself too much, instead forgive yourself and let it go, your only human so are the rest of us.  :)

Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 03:13:38 pm »

OJO       HELLO DAVE...WHATEVER THE REASON YOU WENT AND GOT TESTED FOR HIV, IT WAS THE BEST DESICION YOU HAVE DONE IN YOUR LIFE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE LIVING A "GOOD" LIFE...I LIKE YOUR ATTITUDE, NOT BLAMING ANYONE ELSE BUT YOU, "WHY NOT ME"...I LIKE IT, SAME HERE...I'M GLAD THAT YOU DIDN'T FEEL ANYTHING AFTER STARTING TREATMENT, YOU DON'T FEEL YOUR LEGS, YOUR HANDS, LOL...WISHING YOU THE BEST, AH!, BY THE WAY, YOUR NUMBERS ARE GREAT. ALTHOUGH YOU ARE NOT A V.I.P IN THIS CLUB, YOUR TREATMENT IS WORKING GREATLY, TAKE LOTS OF WATER THO...HUGS                                                  OJO

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 12:02:23 am »
Hi Dave,

congratulations on the top notch results that you are getting.
I've on the same 3 medications, as you are, for about 5 years with no nasty side effects.
Depending on the individual an older combination can work just as well as the new frontline medications.

I'm more flexible about the timing of the medications because the edurant must be with a meal and I don't always eat at the same time.

Good on you :)

Offline daveR

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 04:27:03 am »
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I hope my numbers can stay up there.

The testing Tonny2 was really luck. I have had periodic testing for work medicals over the years but never had any problems. My sex life when I first moved to Thailand was full on and I had always tested negative so it had become a routine that I was no longer nervous about, especially as my sexual activity in these past couple of years has been almost non existent. You could have knocked me down with a feather when the nurse took me to one side and started asking questions about drug use and sex. It wasn't until she mentioned HIV that the penny dropped. Up until that moment I had no idea, never had any flu like symptoms, swollen glands or any other of the symptoms which can indicate a problem. Again this was poor education on the subject by me. After being told I checked up on everything I could think of to prove I did not have it. It was then that I read that only 60-70% of people have obvious symptoms which could possibly indicate a problem. So I consider myself really lucky that I had that medical. If you know a problem exists you can manage it, the head in the sand approach will only get you to an early grave and hurt others on the way.

I consider myself to be along way off a position to preach or give advice on the subject as others I have read about have lived with this for 10-20 and 30+ years and have far more experience to share than me. The advice I would give though is this, get tested, put any thoughts about shame and embarrassment out of your heads and get a test done if you are in doubt. The stigma that surrounds this virus is certainly a big issue but just be discrete about who you tell, let yourself come to terms with it first and allow rational thought to return.

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 10:19:23 am »
Hey Dave,
Welcome to the forums. It's OK to go through the emotions,most of us did after finding it out. I don't think your doctor was implying that having Hiv is itself good,  but your stage of progression is good and you were caught before toouch damage was done to your immune system. Conaider yourself one of the lucky ones. There are people here who found out when they were very sick and had single digit Cd4. 
You're doing so good on your meds and you'll get to a point where you won't even think about it. Take care of yourself keep in touch.

Offline bigsur123

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 12:10:46 pm »
I can tell you that your initial test numbers are GREAT. My ppl wish they had those numbers prior to starting ART. I was infected for almost 8 years before I realized it and I only realized it because I was having eye issues which led to a string of tests and my new PCP has the fore sight to order an HIV test. Boy - we were both surprised.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 12:32:57 pm »
I can tell you that your initial test numbers are GREAT. My ppl wish they had those numbers prior to starting ART.

???

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 07:38:13 pm »
Hey daveR
thanks for your post. I'm glad your treatments are working well.

That message of get tested, get on treatment is a life saver. It's a pity HIV testing is not being offered routinely by primary care practitioners.

Hope 2017 is a great year for you.

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 02:19:07 pm »
Hey DaveR,
Hang in there... These forums are for you to vent, share and discuss our HIV...
I am not usually of the welcoming type as the membership to this exclusive club is rather expensive and, so far, there is no way to cancel membership! However, I am glad you found the forums and all their information. There are many, many LTS that with their advice can and will guide us on this journey..
Today January 20, 2020, I have taken 2378 pills of my ARV since first pill. This means 79 bottles of 30 pills of ARVs at an average of $3950 per bottle or $313,103 USD for my treatment. I have a compliance of 99.83% taking my meds and only .17% (or 4 pills) non-compliant. Of these four pills two I forgot completely, One I lost and one I didn't have with me while traveling! I became UD 3 months after treatment start   ***We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds! ***

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.