Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:34:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 675
Total: 675

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: cholesterol and high tri fats  (Read 7919 times)

Offline scottish

cholesterol and high tri fats
« on: December 28, 2010, 05:36:08 am »
well the war on my high cholesterol and tri's has been raging for around 6 yrears....this summer i lost my pot belly and to be honest was flabbergasted when doc weighed me and i had lost 5kilos......damn i'm good.....excercise was never a problem for me as i retrain x racehorses so plenty of sweat there......but i am not good with veggies and admit not that great with fruit.....i blasted myself with fruit this summer and cut out my coca cola...my greatest luv.....and switched to water only....result cholesterol is normal.....now summer is gone and cholesterol not bad defo not the scary number it was...but my tri's are horrendous...doc tells me it will effect my pancreas if i dont get it down....now i see everyone else's numbers and mine are much higher...i dont know if you measure differently in us...but mine are really scary.....doc suggested trying cod liver oil tablets daily....yuck....they are like trying to swallow suppositories....enormous....but hey guess what...they work!!!!!! my latest bloods just back show tri's are halved not normal yet ...but on the way...just wanted to share with you all.....fingers crossed they stay that way or better still drop again.

Offline lipoenvy

Re: cholesterol and high tri fats
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:07:15 am »
Congratulations on excellent progress!  With many HIV meds (some worse than others), keeping lipids in line can be a real upstream swim.  I struggle with them too.  Lipids are measured in mg/dL in the US, and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the same in the UK.  Do your lab results list, in addition to your results, a reference range?  In the US the usual range listed for triglycerides is: <150 normal or ideal, 150-200 borderline high - same in UK?

In the US there are many fish oils available, some without the fishy smell, if that's a problem.  Same in UK?  If the size of the tablet is a problem, there may be smaller softgels, or something in squeeze form such as Coromega (which I think is US only).  Some recommend fish oil not derived from fish liver because toxic pollutants can concentrate in the liver.  Any fish oil which contains both EPA and DHA should be beneficial.

If you're a beef lover, consider the differences between grass-fed and conventionally raised beef.  Price, for one thing, yes, but also grass-fed beef is higher in omega-3 fatty acids and lower in saturated fat generally.  The health warnings we hear so often about red meat may have more to do with the animal's diet than with the intrinsic nature of the beast.

Not that eating grass-fed beef is an excuse for not eating your vegetables.

Good luck to us both.

lipoenvy

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:14:21 am »
The war on the lipids is a never-ending battle, I fear.

I got mine down to reasonable levels as you did - with diet. I also take Niaspan, which is a prescription form of niacin (times release), which helps as well.

Since you are across the pond, I presume you eat more fish that most Americans do. I try to eat fish two to three times a week. In between, I often eat vegetarian meals, with some chicken (boneless, skinless) thrown in to keep things lively.

I also take fish oil, but not cod liver oil. Yes, they do look like suppositories.  :D

I would ask your doc about the difference, because too much cod liver oil might elevate the Vitamin A levels in your body to dangerous levels. I remember reading that early on somewhere.

How much fish oil are you taking? I am downing 6,000 mgs (6 grams) a day, which is the most my doc said was safe to take.

It has really helped. My triglycerides dropped to 100, which is excellent.

Keep up the good work.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:23:16 am »
Hypertriglyceridemia is such a pain in the ass. ugh.
   mine have been as high as 6000 and I have been hospitalized for pancreatitus 4 times with the past 3 years. Mine  are caused by meds. PI's specifically. Apparently I am ultra sensitive to them and cannot tolerate them.

The combo I'm one now,Truvada and Isentress is working well and my Doc added tricor 3 months ago. they are down to 300, still high but not in the 1000's.  Be sure to have your doctor monitor your liver functions with the fish oil capsules. Fish oil was not recommended for me because of my combo and the tricor.

watch out for the timed released Niacin as it can be harsh on your liver as well.

I still maintain a modified pancreatic diet: minimal fruits, alcohol, refined sugars, carbohydrates and animal proteins.

Good luck

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:39:35 am »
Hey Sharkie,

Yes, it is important to keep track of the liver functions.

My doc follows my liver functions closely, in part because of the meds/fish oil, etc., and in part because of the NASH issue I had.

That has resolved itself, it seems, or at least the liver tests show no abnormalities at this time.

I eat a low fat, cholesterol free, gluten free diet. I think the only thing I eat that you really don't is fruits. Oh, and I do put sugar in my coffee. Can't take artificial sweetener in hot drinks.

Still, your diet sounds even tougher than mine.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:44:23 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:44:02 am »
Hey Sharkie,

My doc follows my liver functions closely, in part because of the meds/fish oil, etc., and in part because of the NASH issue I had.

That has resolved itself, it seems, or at least the liver tests show no abnormalities at this time.

HUGS to ya, fella,

Mark

it just really sucks during Xmas time with all the goodies and microbreweries abound. Grrrrr but it's better than N/PO a morphine drip and a lotta pain.

I'm so glad that NASH resolved itself. You were worrying me

hugs back

Offline gerry69

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 07:02:34 pm »
A few years back after having been relatively stable in all respects for a long time I went to the doctor insisting that something was wrong -- due to a family history of heart disease I was afraid that I had finally lived long enough to be experiencing 'something' else --

Anyway long story short after a battery of tests the cardiologist I went too toke a look at my triglycerides and cholesterol and discovered things were completely out of whack -- My trigs were over 7500.  As my diet was already under control and I get sufficient exercise they put me on the maximum dosage of Niaspan along with Lipitor.

Within several months the numbers were down within a 'normal' range.

The only lasting side effect of the Niaspan has been an occasional feeling of warmth or tingling(flushing).

While I did take protease inhibitors (Crixivan) for a brief time it is difficult how much of it may have been related to possible complications from meds, genetic composition, or possibly just a complication of HIV ( I also carry Hep B although that is a whole other story)

It also made me wonder what it takes to insure my 'doc' is continuing to look, listen and respond in an appropriate manner -- all the cardiologist did was look at the same numbers he did with a ''new pair of eyes' -- Made me all the more aware of having to look over his shoulder and constantly question --

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:21:09 pm by gerry69 »

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 08:51:33 pm »
I had a terrible Triglyciride problem several years ago they were at an unbelieveable 3000 yes 3000 not 300. They tryed everything I finally told them it was the AIDS meds because I had never had triglyciride problems until I got AIDS. So They finally took me off the meds and to their dibelief the triglycirides went down way down so they had to put me on one med at a time to find the culprit And it turned out to be I couldn't take protease inhibitors. Finally I got back on meds after they messed up my t cells and viral load in the process. They came back but never went over 200 again until Isenteress came out and it I can take and I still have marginally high triglycirides but nothing like what scared the Dr's to death and me. I had pancreatitis once and it took over a year to get over it. So they keep a track on them and other things as well. Thanks for reading By the way it was gemfibrozil that helped keep them down until they came out with one protease inhbitor I can take without of the trys get to high they never have been in  the normal range since the meds though 14 years later. At least they are not life threatning anymore either.  Jerry
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Offline scottish

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 06:55:34 am »
thanx for all  your answers and info my trig peaked at 800....i have no side effects other than all medicines i take give me a fat belly....i feel well most of the time....with heart disease rife in my family i worry having fat around my heart..and sometimes being breathless....it is a vanity problem because my bloods are allways good except for the fats......so on i go and just get on with it...i tell myself ...i shouldnt even be here...so many years poz.....so now i am 42 and thinking about sorting out pension etc somewhere i never expected to be....so what the hell if i am not so slim i am still here and smiling.....i am one of those positive who lives there life normally...i am not positive only when i have to enter those dreaded hospital doors every 3 months i have to face reality....i have to say my doc is fab  he knows me so well....he knows not to offer counselling and help as i hate all that stuff....the counsellor edges close to me when she sees me and assures me she is there for me whenever and if ever i need her.....ok ok ok  you can go now!!! thats me ...who i am...not one to open her heart and talk things thru....so each have their own way to deal with this crap and this is mine...its worked for nearly 18years ...so i just soldier on......i used to be scared of aids info...too much too soon...maybe ..it just scared me to death...now i search for it...probably because of the internet..in the safety of my own home . but i am glad to have found you guys....sometimes your stories scare me...and i disappear for a while other times i jump on a bit of info you have written and try to get it to help me or more importantly my hubby he has mobility problems. but hey guys another new year another one....christ the years are flying by and we are all still here.....PARTY. LUV AND GOOD HEALTH TO YOU ALL.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:58:41 am by scottish »

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 10:46:00 am »
A few years back after having been relatively stable in all respects for a long time I went to the doctor insisting that something was wrong -- due to a family history of heart disease I was afraid that I had finally lived long enough to be experiencing 'something' else --

Anyway long story short after a battery of tests the cardiologist I went too toke a look at my triglycerides and cholesterol and discovered things were completely out of whack -- My trigs were over 7500.  As my diet was already under control and I get sufficient exercise they put me on the maximum dosage of Niaspan along with Lipitor.

Within several months the numbers were down within a 'normal' range.

The only lasting side effect of the Niaspan has been an occasional feeling of warmth or tingling(flushing).

While I did take protease inhibitors (Crixivan) for a brief time it is difficult how much of it may have been related to possible complications from meds, genetic composition, or possibly just a complication of HIV ( I also carry Hep B although that is a whole other story)

It also made me wonder what it takes to insure my 'doc' is continuing to look, listen and respond in an appropriate manner -- all the cardiologist did was look at the same numbers he did with a ''new pair of eyes' -- Made me all the more aware of having to look over his shoulder and constantly question --

I'm really surprised you didn't develop pancreatitus. good for you

Offline jm1953

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 08:59:11 pm »
The war on the lipids is a never-ending battle, I fear.

I got mine down to reasonable levels as you did - with diet. I also take Niaspan, which is a prescription form of niacin (times release), which helps as well.

Since you are across the pond, I presume you eat more fish that most Americans do. I try to eat fish two to three times a week. In between, I often eat vegetarian meals, with some chicken (boneless, skinless) thrown in to keep things lively.

I also take fish oil, but not cod liver oil. Yes, they do look like suppositories.  :D

I would ask your doc about the difference, because too much cod liver oil might elevate the Vitamin A levels in your body to dangerous levels. I remember reading that early on somewhere.

How much fish oil are you taking? I am downing 6,000 mgs (6 grams) a day, which is the most my doc said was safe to take.

It has really helped. My triglycerides dropped to 100, which is excellent.

Keep up the good work.

HUGS,

Mark

Hey Mark;
Congrats on getting your lipids in check.  Especially your triglycerides.  After reading some of these posts I thought mine being at 275 was high, but I'm determined to get them down.  My cholesterol has been a bit elevated too even though I'm on a very strict diet of fish, rice, veggies, fruit, due to kidney disease.  Also take my supplements including omega 3 but I think only 2400 mgs a day.  Guess I may try increasing the dose some.  I see my doc Friday so will discuss.  My doc says the meds tend to make your triglycerides go high, especially Prezista which I'm on.  Congratulations again on getting your lipids to a great place.  One less thing to worry about right~  Take care, Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.