Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:12:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 497
Total: 498

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stopping Truvada because of osteoporosis  (Read 5618 times)

Offline ChefDD

• White Whisker Cook (aka. ChefDD)
Stopping Truvada because of osteoporosis
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:42:34 am »
Good news  ;D  is my viral load has been under 48 for over a year and CD4 count is 541! I am on a super max salvage regime as my ID calls it: Issentress, Intellence,Prezista & Norvir, and Truvada. My virus is what I call a "mutant ninja virus" because several drugs are ineffective at stopping the virus. Bad news I have osteoporosis in my hips (-2.6 in each) and osteopenia in lumbar spine. Tenofivir is a suspect in the lower bone loss problem many are facing. Length of time on Viread was several years.  I want to stop the Truvada but ID stays he is against it because of my mutant ninja virus. What do you all think? I am on Fosamax and take calcium every day with vitamin d. Blood and urine tests showed that I was not shedding calcium or vitamin d. I don't smoke and I exercise everyday. Yes, I am a member of the Senior Varsity Class: Over 50 and diagnosed in 1986. Should I force the issue? I am going to a new ID for a second opinion.
Cheff DD
ChefDD ( White Whisker )

Offline veritas

Re: Stopping Truvada because of osteoporosis
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:56:37 am »

ChefDD,

Tuff question to answer. I am on truvada,prezista/norvir,isentress with the same viread issue. (osteopenia in hip) I have increased my vit D and resistance exercise so I am waiting for another Dexa scan to see if that helps. My virus is heavily mutanized also.
I would wait for your second opinion and ask how dangerous it would be to eliminate the truvada. With salvage regemins, it's usually better to hit the virus at all locations (protease, integrase, reverse transcriptase etc). Get all the info you can before making a move. Let us know what you decide.

Good luck,
v

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 10:14:18 am »
Well, I traded out Truvada for Epzicom because of osteoporosis. 

But it was a tough sell to the ID doc, and if there hadn't been some persistent low level viremia we might still be arguing...
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:17:31 am »
I have all of the same problems with multi-resistance, etc.  I've not encountered osteo issues (yet) though I've been on viread/truvada ever since viread was FDA approved late 01/early 02.  I'd have to dig up my last resistance test, but I'm quite sure that at least at the time it was my last best option in the NRTI class so I'm not sure what I'd switch to (also had Ziagen hypersensitivity reaction a decade ago), and I must assume that ChefDD may be in a similar situation in that regard.  Obviously if you are having osteo issues then you need to switch off of it.

ChefDD, I'm just curious what you're route was in discovering the osteo issues -- were you having any repeated fractures or did you test low with Vit D/calcium, or did you just skip right to having a dexa scan?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:34:24 am »
Just a question for you two...

By running out of treatment options was it just a slow progression over time that the virus mutated and the meds were unable to control it any longer, a lack of adherence, or did it come out of the box with some nasty resistances?

Just curious.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:41:14 am »
Just a question for you two...

By running out of treatment options was it just a slow progression over time that the virus mutated and the meds were unable to control it any longer, a lack of adherence, or did it come out of the box with some nasty resistances?

Just curious.

For those of us on treatment pre-HAART it was an issue of mono and/or dual-therapy, not adherence.  Also keep in mind that at that time there was no viral load testing or even geno/pheno testing, so if your cd4 and % were going in the wrong direction for a duration they'd switch you around to other meds.  Also, even when the first PI came out (saquinavir) the formulation was weak/poorly absorbed, and by the time Roche figured this out and reformulated it the next year many of us developed resistance to the entire PI class.

I get this question a lot on here via PMs as I think a lot of new people don't realize what treatment was like pre-1996 or so.  This is why there has been so much focus this past decade in developing second generation medications targeted at resistance profiles (prezista, etc.)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ChefDD

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 03:09:46 pm »
     Miss Philica and I are very similar. I started AZT in January of 1989! I was able to tolerate the 2 pills every four hours for about 4 or 5 years. When drugs started to develop I and my dr added a few more. The mulit resistance developed gradually until 2000. My viral load went up to 100,000. I tried ziagen, sustiva, and the worst one was viramune. I got hepatoxicity from viramune. The other meds gave me severe rash and vomiting. From 2000 to 2008 , we found a less toxic cocktail of drugs but I always ran a low but detectable viral load. 2008 saw a jump up to 400 for about 6 months. We did a geno and the virus to be multi resisitant. I have been on Viread the longest of the group. The past 15 months of no viral load is the longest I have experienced since test began for the virus.
     How did I find out about the bone density problem? Last year I had a horible stiff neck. Checked out a local chiropracter who did a spine x-ray. He suggested further testing. Next came and new rounds of blood work and a 24 hour urine catch :o ! Dexa scan came after all the results were negative. Fortunately I had one done back in 2006. I have lost a total of 17  % of the bone density since 2006. Going for the second opinion will give me a better insight. I am collecting recent research on the tenofovir bone density problem and will take it to the visit.
     Adherence has not been a problem because I got use to 2 pills every four hours back in 1989 to 1994. More pills is just more pills. Thanks for all the advice. I pill post after my visit. My guess is since I have never been this long with no viral load it will beea difficult sell to stop the Truvada.
     Hey Miss P maybe were twins?
Take care everyone
ChefDD

ChefDD ( White Whisker )

Offline ChefDD

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 03:14:06 pm »
Slow progression for me over 22 years on meds. The lowest Cd4 count was 250 back in 1991. I remember the visit because after coming home the Soviet Union tried it last take over of Gorbachnev.
How is your numbers and meds doing if you are taking any Hellraiser?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:20:11 pm by ChefDD »
ChefDD ( White Whisker )

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.