Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:49:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 347
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "We Were Here": New AIDS Documentary  (Read 10016 times)

Offline edfu

"We Were Here": New AIDS Documentary
« on: February 06, 2011, 12:30:14 am »
David Weissman's remarkable and deeply moving new documentary, "We Were Here," about the early days  of the AIDS epidemic in San Francisco in the 1980s has debuted at Sundance Film Festival 2011.  Told through the lens of four gay men and a straight female nurse who were there at the time, it's received rave reviews.  Below are links to an essay-review from indiewire and and the trailer.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/i_wasnt_there_why_a_new_generation_of_gay_men_should_see_sundances_we_were_/P0/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCxqJgpejbs
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline tednlou2

Re: "We Were Here": New AIDS Documentary
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 12:40:53 am »
HBO is premiering a documentary about Ronald Reagan Monday at 9pm.  We've recently discussed how some media outlets have glossed over his role (or lack of) in HIV/AIDS.  It will be interesting to see if HBO covers the HIV part in more detail.

Thanks for the info about this documentary.

Modified:  Any info on when this doc will be on TV or theaters?   
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:52:25 am by tednlou2 »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 01:34:10 am »

Thanks for posting that Ed.  Here's an interview with David Weissman:

http://moviecitynews.com/2011/01/dp30-sundance-we-were-here-david-weissman/

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline edfu

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:02:04 am »
What a wonderful interview!  Thanks, Ray.  I really believe this film can do so much to obviate the generation gap that is so evident in the gay community--even here on this site, with the strife that intermittently occurs between LTS'ers and those newly diagnosed.  With the decimation of two generations, communication between the oldest and the youngest has been exacerbated by an even wider gap.  The old-timers, like myself, and the middle-agers are fewer in number than they normally would be, and the 20-year-olds don't really know what it was like to be part of the gay community in the early 1980s.     
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline edfu

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 01:53:44 am »
This documentary has acquired a distributor, with theatrical release scheduled for September 2011 and TV release on PBS in the spring of 2012.  This is great news: 

Los Angeles – April 20, 2011 – Red Flag Releasing announced today that it has acquired “WE WERE HERE,” produced and directed by David Weissman and editor/co-director Bill Weber. The film recently world premiered at the Sundance Film Festival followed by the Berlin International Film Festival. Red Flag will theatrically release the film in September 2011.

WE WERE HERE is the first documentary to take a deep and reflective look back at the impact of the AIDS epidemic in San Francisco when it was first identified 30 years ago this year. It explores how the City’s inhabitants were affected by, and responded to the calamitous epidemic. WE WERE HERE reaches beyond San Francisco and the human toll of AIDS itself. It is an inspirational film that speaks to the human capacity of individuals to rise to the occasion, and to the incredible collective power of a community coming together with love, compassion, and determination.

Red Flag Releasing will distribute the film in partnership with the filmmakers, The Film Collaborative, New Video and PBS’ Independent Lens, creating a release pattern fitting for this incredibly moving look into the tragedy and eventual triumph of a community organizing to respond to the AIDS epidemic. The film’s release will include theatrical, OnDemand, DVD, digital download channels, and television (in spring 2012), as well as an educational/non-theatrical outreach component through New Yorker Films. The film’s worldwide producer’s rep Jonathan Dana and TFC’s Orly Ravid orchestrated the deals.

David Weissman and Bill Weber previously made the acclaimed 2001 documentary, The Cockettes, also repped by Dana, which chronicled San Francisco’s legendary theater troupe of hippies and drag queens from 1969 – 1972. WE WERE HERE revisits the city a decade later, as its flourishing gay community is hit with an unimaginable disaster.

"We Were Here" richly deserves the first class treatment it will receive across all windows and platforms – a real 'Distribution 2.0' strategy in action. We couldn't be happier," said Dana.

"I felt strongly that this film needed to be made by someone who’d lived through the onset of AIDS - the horror, and beauty - of those years. So it’s deeply gratifying to have partners in distribution who fully share my passion that this history not be forgotten." said Weissman.

“We are proud to be releasing this powerful film. It is an affirmation of the community’s great strides over the last 30 years, and honors the many friends we’ve lost along the way,” said Paul Federbush of Red Flag Releasing.

“We were deeply moved by WE WERE HERE at its premiere, when we committed to helping David and Bill reach a larger home audience through digital and DVD release,” said Mark Kashden, V.P. Acquisitions, New Video. “We look forward to working with such capable partners on a successful campaign.”

"Independent Lens is extremely pleased to present the television premiere of David Weissman's deeply moving, seminal film," said Lois Vossen, Independent Lens Series Producer. “WE WERE HERE is a brave testament to millions of Americans who suffered from HIV AIDS, and to the extraordinary men and women who cared for them. Like The Times of Harvey Milk, this unflinching, important film will become a touchstone for future generations looking to understand this historic time."

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:44:59 am »

Thanks for the update !!

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 06:05:29 pm »
I saw this movie last month at a special showing and I strongly encourage you to see it when you can.

It is the film version of everything Joe, Alan and many others here have been trying to teach us.

It is moving and will cause you to think about your meds, your healthcare staff and all those with HIV who

went before us. It is also inspiring, or a refresher to previous inspiration, regarding doing something as

Moffie so often advised us.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 01:27:05 pm »
We Were Here..is going to be shown at the Seattle Gay Film Festival on October 15th...if anyone is going to be town then I'll see you there :-)
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 02:20:18 pm »
We Were Here..is going to be shown at the Seattle Gay Film Festival on October 15th...if anyone is going to be town then I'll see you there :-)

A large group of us were there not long ago and didn't get to see you. ;)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 07:46:42 pm »
I have just now heard of this film, watched the trailer and had a little spontaneous sob spell. I'm not sure I could make it through an entire feature-length documentary like that.

I moved into downtown Boston the day after my last day of High School in 1978; the plague hit us later than NYC or SF, but was no less devastating. I stopped counting the dead whom I knew personally at sixty, and that was still in the 80s.

One of the reasons why I stay down here in SoFla (despite some pretty terrible culture clashes) is that I'm never the oldest guy anywhere I go; the same cannot be said of Boston. I feel more comfortable being with my age peers.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline buginme2

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 10:03:30 pm »
A large group of us were there not long ago and didn't get to see you. ;)

I know Wolfter, that was my fail. 

@Bucko.  I can only imagine.  I'm a little bit younger.  While I remember those years I was not acutely affected.
It looks like a great film.   Plus I'm a bit of a 1970's era san francisco afficianado ( if there ever was such a thing).  My favorite book was/is Tales of the City.  I'm hoping to see some old footage of the city.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 03:06:18 am »
I know Wolfter, that was my fail.  

@Bucko.  I can only imagine.  I'm a little bit younger.  While I remember those years I was not acutely affected.
It looks like a great film.   Plus I'm a bit of a 1970's era san francisco afficianado ( if there ever was such a thing).  My favorite book was/is Tales of the City.  I'm hoping to see some old footage of the city.

While I don't dwell on it, my 20s and early 30s were hell on Earth: believe it, baby. I count three of my exes and one long-term whatever among that causalities.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Gary S

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 10:22:42 am »
 I saw the film in New York a few weeks ago. I was living in Atlanta during the time frame the film explores. While things happened in Atlanta a few years after San Francisco, it was very similar.

The film was very powerful and tells a story that needs to be told and remembered....especially for those that did not live through it. Emotionally, it was tough to get through but I left the theatre with a renewed sense of gratitude that I'm still here. I owned a gay bar during that time with about 40-50 employees. I am one of only 3 or 4 survivors. So many beautiful boys lost.

Offline shemhazai

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 04:41:04 pm »
It's easy to forget, being born at the end of the 80s, what an impact HIV/AIDS had on so many communities, especially the SF gay community - almost a second Holocaust...

Does anyone know when it comes out on DVD? I'd love to see this one in full, the trailer was riveting to say the least!

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 08:06:11 pm »
Looks like a powerful movie, but I could barely get through the trailer, let alone the interview.  Some things should not be relived.  I barely made it through the first time.

Offline SuperDuper

We Were Here Documentary - just saw it
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 10:14:13 pm »
Wow, just walked back from the cinema having watched this documentary "We Were Here". Powerful, moving and an important part of our history as gay men living with this disease. As newly infected and newly medicating, it really put things in perspective for me. This film introduces us to the real hero's in this fight. The courageous people who stood up and fought back and mobilized efforts against this disease. The brave men who put themselves in trial studies only to have their lives cut shorter. Those that donated body parts to help researchers find out more. The front line health care workers that volunteered to work these units in hospitals when no one else would, the friends and volunteers who did not run but ran towards the fire to help comfort and care for the stricken.
A beautiful tribute to all those before us that led the fight. Sad that they are not here today to see how far we have come but of course how much more fighting we need to do.
The past few months, weeks and days I have been having a pity party of One and sitting in that cinema in the dark made me realize i have so much to be thankful for and made me realize I can do much more. I thought of a quote in my head " I don't want your pity, I want your voice! Tell your govts., tell your friends, tell the world. We want a cure!
go see this film and fight this disease with all your might. Thank you to the brave warriors that came before us!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:18:29 pm by SuperDuper »

Offline seriously

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 12:40:48 am »
Went to the see it in PDX tonight, and it was incredibly moving-- randomly the director was there... He did a Q&A after the show.

More than anything it makes me glad that I'm not going through this 25 years ago. It rightly gives credit to the thousands that participated in the trials that resulted in the drugs that are keeping us alive.
Infected 7/25/03
In denial until 12/1/10
12/7/10 CD4 160 VL 456k
12/18/10 Started Isentress/Truvada
12/12/13 CD4 456 VL <20

Offline next2u

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 01:27:44 am »
i cannot find this playing anywhere near the la or palm springs area. does anyone know where this is playing in so cal?

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline edfu

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 04:13:56 am »
Some release dates:

Los Angeles – Sept. 14 GALA PREMIERE BENEFIT  For Project Inform
LA – September 16, Arclight Hollywood
Pasadena – September 16, Laemmle Playhouse 7
Palm Springs – September 30, Camelot Theaters

I don't know if it's still playing at any of these venues.   

Offline next2u

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 12:31:03 pm »
thanks. looks like i missed it on the big screen. ill catch it on dvd :/
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.