Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:23:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 205
Total: 205

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AMG 2009 Hotel Proposal  (Read 12013 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

AMG 2009 Hotel Proposal
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:02:10 pm »
I'd like to propose the following hotel for next year's AMG in Boston. 

The Chandler Inn http://chandlerinn.com/index.cfm is located in South End, Boston.  I've had several conversations with the general manager and she has been informed of the type of group we are and is excited to host us.  This is a limited service property.  However, they do have free wi-fi and all rooms have been renovated. She advised there are numerous dining opportunities within the vicinity.  Fritz bar, located beneath the hotel, is a gay sports bar/restaurant. 

The rate being offered to us is $155 per night for August 6 - 10 in the newly renovated boutique style rooms with plasma televisions.  The normal rate is $259 per night. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:20:16 am by AMG Coordinator »

Offline Cliff

Re: AMG 2009 Hotel Proposal
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:39:37 pm »
Should we have two choices to vote on?

The location is good.  Not sure about staying above a gay bar (noise).

I think the room photos on the website may be fake.  Here's a photo of one of the rooms.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:41:58 pm »
The location is, indeed, pretty good & there are lots of restaurants around. 
Still, I have to say that this choice does leave me a little "unexcited".  Although, price being important to many, makes this a pretty strong candidate -- I would be interested to hear if you were able to get any pricing from the other hotels discussed in the other thread.
Also, did the general manager have any suggestions on how (or if) people would be able to get a third in a room, if needed (I believe Minismom had this concern)?

I do want to make sure to thank you for all the work your doing here -- it is appreciated, despite my rather tepid reaction here.  I know it is impossible to please all of us.   ;D  I do plan to attend this time wether or not I end up staying in the "official" hotel.

Mike

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:05:36 pm »
Cliff - Our block of rooms will be the newly renovated boutique rooms.  I'm not sure where you acquired your photo from, but may I suggest you visit the hotel website to review a more current photo of the newly renoated boutique rooms.  By the time we are there, all rooms will be remodeled.

I have spoken to the general manager about a room accommodating three people and ran this by Mum.  All is ok.

If this choice leaves you unexcited, then please participate in the other thread I posted weeks ago asking everyone to do some research and help out.  I am not dragging this process out this year as people need time to plan and save.

Unless everyone wants to pay over $200 per night, than the other choices I put forth will not work.

I have begged and pleaded for assistance with the choice of hotels this year and the only person who has stepped up to the plate is Bocker. 

This is my proposal.  If someone has something better, then please present it to us.

Dennis

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:17:54 pm »

Dennis

I think this sounds great.  In fact, I'm turning cartwheels, I'm so excited about it.  I can't wait.

But one  question....do they have smoking rooms?  Not for me, of course, but it seems that the best friends a buddy could have for some reason like to smoke.  Are they (ahem, you) going to be left out in the cold? 

ALso it's near Beacon Hill.  My parents were married in 1940 and their first apartment was on Beacon Hill.  I have their first bed and matching maple chair here on the farm.  I know how much you all care about this so we can include this on our historical tour of the city.

so it's a big fat YES from me.

robert

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 09:19:45 pm »
I did some research, too, but didn't get too very far and certainly didn't post my findings because I was awed at the high price of everything! I mean...floored.

That being said, I am extremely pleased with the rate you've negotiated, and I plan to book a room for most likely 6 nights.

Thanks, thanks, and thanks again!

Creighton

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:48:04 pm »
I did some research, too, but didn't get too very far and certainly didn't post my findings because I was awed at the high price of everything! I mean...floored.

That being said, I am extremely pleased with the rate you've negotiated, and I plan to book a room for most likely 6 nights.

Thanks, thanks, and thanks again!

Creighton

Hey Dennis:

I couldn't have said it better than Creighton.  You asked us to search out possibilities and post our thoughts, but I came upon the same issue that Creighton mentioned--price.  Maybe there are other possibilities out there, if so than I would encourage members to bring them forward.

Personally, I think given the multitude of issues and concerns you were trying to navigate, you've presented us with a good compromise.

Thanks buddy.   :-*

RAB

Edit to add:  If I remember correctly, this hotel has a total of 55 rooms.  Based upon our previous gatherings, we will pretty much take over the entire hotel.  That intimacy is worth mention.   ::)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:55:08 pm by RAB »

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:44:19 pm »
Dennis,

Well done, buddy.  The hotel looks fantastic!  Great rate and location is perfect.

I have been looking at hotels I'm familiar with in Boston.  My favorite was the Hotel Lenox.  But how does $750+ per night sound to the group?  Only for me if I'm on an expense account.

I'm glad that Mini's Mum is comfortable with this location.  I'd hate to think that Mum, Hubby and Mini would have to stay in a separate hotel.

Thanks Dennis for your usual top notch attention to our group's needs.  You da man, dude!!!

Hugs to all, R&T

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 10:52:05 pm »
After further perusing their website -- it does look like they have made some major updates since my one and only foray to the Chandler (don't ask...   8) ). 

Without a doubt, we aren't likely to see a better rate -- unless the economy continues it's current trend, that is......

Just a note of caution to some folks -- many of the things listed as nearby on their website, aren't really all that nearby.  Boston is pretty small for a "big" city, but if "nearby" means within a few blocks to a mile to anyone, then some of the listed places are not quite so nearby.  That being said, the "T" is a fantastic system and will get you everywhere you might want to go within the city.

So -- I'll join the chorus of "good choice" after all.  After all, a great rate at a nice hotel, in an expensive city is something that can't be dismissed.

Thanks again Dennis!

Mike

Offline Cliff

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 05:45:43 am »
Cliff - Our block of rooms will be the newly renovated boutique rooms.  I'm not sure where you acquired your photo from, but may I suggest you visit the hotel website to review a more current photo of the newly renoated boutique rooms.  By the time we are there, all rooms will be remodeled.
From tripadvisor.  Some people have complained that the hotel rooms they received looked nothing like the rooms on the hotel's website.  If it's a remodeling issue, then that explains the issue.

If this choice leaves you unexcited
Not my words.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:49:48 am by Cliff »

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 07:37:35 am »
Cliff,

While you were on Trip Advisor, did you take a few moments to search out other possibilities as I have suggested numerous times.  If you don't like my proposal then please put forth your own.   

I look forward to seeing your hotel suggestion.  The telephone number to the Chandler is also readily available.  You are more than welcome to call and speak to Gretchen, the general manager to confirm any information I have put forth to the group. 

From tripadvisor.  Some people have complained that the hotel rooms they received looked nothing like the rooms on the hotel's website.  If it's a remodeling issue, then that explains the issue.
Not my words.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 11:00:22 am »
Dennis,

You are reading way too much into my comment.  I never said I didn't like your proposal, those are your words not mine.  I simply made a comment that the hotel was in a good location, that I had some concerns about potential noise from the gay bar and questioned whether the hotel photos were fake (which you addressed by mentioning the current remodeling).  I also wondered whether we should have 2 choices to vote on.  I thought that was the way things worked in the past. 

I assume you made the proposal so that people could comment on it.  And so I did.  At the end of the day this is unimportant and unnecessary.  It's a yes from me.

Cliff

P.S.- Yes, I did search for hotels in Boston on Trip Advisor when you first asked for suggestions.  The hotels I thought were good choices would likely have been outside of most people's budget.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:05:22 am by Cliff »

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 06:14:52 pm »
I  think by now anyone who has looked around the Boston area will agree that this is a great deal..good location , good price.... I have relatives who own Motels in the Boston area and the best price they can offer is in Attlelboro about 25 miles south of the city and that would be  $125.....that is  near the Patriots stadium and when there is a game the rate is $250...

Good work Dennis

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 10:06:31 pm »
Cliff,
What specificallly would you like to vote on.  Since nobody suggested any hotels, I went and did the research on my own.  Considering the Chandler Inn was the only hotel offering us a rate under $200 I saw this as a no brainer.  $155 vs $255.  However, if everyone would like to go through the formalities of a vote than so be it.

Please cast your vote for...

Chandler Inn = $155 per night

Jury's Boston = $255 per night

Now, if we'd like to take this a step further, I was able to negotiate a rate of $90 per night at the Chandler Inn during Thanksgiving Weekend or $125 per night any other week in November. 

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:10:48 pm by AMG Coordinator »

Offline edfu

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 10:20:21 pm »
I had some concerns about potential noise from the gay bar

I've stayed at the Chandler, and there was no bar noise whatsoever that bothered me.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what floor I was on.  It needs to be pointed out that (1) the trip to Boston is not being made to spend most of the time in the hotel room, and (2) all bars in Boston close at 2 A.M.  Also, I don't particularly like bars myself, but I found Fritz, the bar on the ground floor of the Chandler, to be one of the better (in every sense) gay bars I've ever been in.  (Sorry for ending a sentence in a preposition.  :-*)  It's been there for quite a while--I think for more than 20 years--and most of us know how short the lifespans of most gay bars are.  Make of that what you will.     

I never thought I'd be pimping for a bar, but N.B.:

http://www.fritzboston.com/community.html
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:48:21 pm by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 10:47:41 pm »
Like the others here who have posted before me, my searching hasn't turned up anything that's even close to the deal Dennis has obtained.  I like the fact that we would occupy virtually the entire hotel.  And the fact that they are excited to have us there counts for a lot, too.

I'd better start saving my pennies.

Cheers,

Henry

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 01:21:54 am »
I warned the group in Mexico City that Boston is a very expensive lodging city.  Nevertheless, it is a wonderful location.  I think this deal is outstanding.  I am pleasantly surprised to see a hotel under $200 a night in Boston.  Also, Dennis has a great batting average with AMG hotels (San Francisco and Mexico City.)  I endorse this choice (and exult in the complimentary internet access as well... a day without internet is like a day without sunshine!)

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 10:53:27 am »

ALso it's near Beacon Hill.  My parents were married in 1940 and their first apartment was on Beacon Hill.  I have their first bed and matching maple chair here on the farm.  I know how much you all care about this so we can include this on our historical tour of the city.

robert

Harumph!  So that's why the hotels in Boston are so expensive.  Robert's parents were married there!

:P

I endorse this choice (and exult in the complimentary internet access as well... a day without internet is like a day without sunshine!)

Gary

What is it with you guys and internet access?  You all aren't having some hi-speed orgy every night after I am comfortably snuggled in my bed (alone I might add), are you?   ::)

RAB   ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:56:28 am by RAB »

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 11:07:14 am »
August 6 - 10 , are these the set dates?  I have my vacation bid next month.  I am not going to miss it next year...
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.