Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:11:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 603
Total: 604

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: What are my chances?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline LostNWorld

• Standard
What are my chances?
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:46:22 am »
I am a female who decided wrong. I meet someone online and decided to explore. My gut had a knot knowing it was wrong and all signs said that male was shady. But I did it anyway. So here it goes. Please if I can be reassured and calmed I appreciate it greatly!!

It was Jan 5 2013. We met, applied a condom, started vaginal sex doggy style. He pulled out mid activity and the condom was broken at the tip. Not just a little but ripped from the top down to mid shaft. Once I seen it was basically destroyed, I got dressed and sat there worried asking all kinds of questions. His answer was negative for everything that he had been recently tested. (Negative result). The following week I tested full panel. My result was negative. The next week (2 weeks from exposure) I noticed a terrible burning in my vagina. Went back to he MD it was a yeast infection   (gynozole) was givin. In the 3 rd week I developed thrush which hasn't left yet and I am 75 days from exposure. I have these weird headaches that won't subside. (From day 60 to present). On day 68 I did a finger prick test with instant result of negative. I have an appointment for the 13 week PE to get a confirmed answer.

But my question is if 60 days looks negative why do I have thrush/headache? Which is not normal for me. Never had thrush. Am I wrong to worry?

Please help... I am a wife (another discussion in another forum) & a mother. How do I protect them from me. Plus I can't avoid my husband for much longer, he is getting bitchy due to lack of sex... There is no way I can tell him I would rather kill myself if I am positive!

Sorry my time line was off I tested on 2/7/13(-). Then from that day the events continue.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:41:06 am by Ann »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: What are my chances?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:03:23 am »
While yo did have a risk, it seems that your tests are showing great results. Few people seroconvert past 60 days, though I am obliged to inform you that only a 90 day result is considered globally definitive.

Surely there are other ways to keep your husband occupied in the bedroom for just another 20 days?

But from here, it looks like you got through this without HIV transmission.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 06:11:09 am »
Lost,

I quoted your second post and inserted it into your original post, and then deleted the second post. I did this so that you still have two free posts (use them wisely). If you want/need to post more than three times, you'll have to take out a subscription. (Details of how to do so are in the top thread on the Am I Infected forum index page.)

Yeast and thrush are two names for the same condition - an overgrowth of a fungus called Candida albicans. We all have C. albicans in and on our bodies at all times. We also have good bacteria in and on our bodies at all times and these good bacteria keep C. albicans in check.

Various things can throw this delicate balance off. The most notorious culprit is antibiotic use, because most antibiotics also kill off the good bacteria that is beneficial to our bodies. Keeping C. albicans in check is only one of the duties they perform for us.

A poor diet (lots of sugar, breads, beer, processed foods etc) can also at times throw this balance off, particularly if you're stressed out about something. Mental stress can really do a number on your physical health in many ways. (Like giving you headaches, for example.)

Continually wearing synthetic panties instead of cotton, particularly if you're wearing synthetics under tight jeans or pants, can also cause thrush and make it difficult to get rid of.

Vaginal thrush can be sexually transmitted, but sexual transmission is by no means the main cause.

You should go back to your doctor to obtain further treatment for the thrush because if you don't get rid of it completely, it's possible for your husband and you to keep passing it back and forth between you.

Most women will get a vaginal thrush infection at some point in their lives, and in most cases it's just "one of them things" and very often tied to antibiotic use. You can always explain to your husband that you have a vaginal infection that is very common (it is) and that until the thrush is cleared up, vaginal sex is off the menu. As JK mentioned, there are other things you can do to keep him satisfied in the mean time.

As for your hiv testing, I totally agree with JK that you're very, very likely in the clear.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks (42 days), with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

A six week (or more) negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point. You should be very confident that your confirmatory test at your next appointment will be another negative.

By the way, if your doctor hasn't already, you may want to be checked out for bacterial vaginosis. I'm suggesting this because you haven't had a good response to the thrush treatment. Sometimes one can be mistaken for the other. Bacterial vaginosis isn't always sexually transmitted either - it can be caused by something as simple as wiping from back to front after a bowel movement.

So the bottom line here is - you are very unlikely to be hiv positive following the negative results you've had thus far. However, you do need to get to the bottom of the vaginal infection and get it properly treated. Don't leave it, go see your doctor about it asap.

And hey, don't beat yourself up over making a bad decision. We all do it - it's called "being human". :)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LostNWorld

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12:39 am »
I am a female who decided wrong. I meet someone online and decided to explore. My gut had a knot knowing it was wrong and all signs said that male was shady. But I did it anyway. So here it goes. Please if I can be reassured and calmed I appreciate it greatly!!

It was Jan 5 2013. We met, applied a condom, started vaginal sex doggy style. He pulled out mid activity and the condom was broken at the tip. Not just a little but ripped from the top down to mid shaft. Once I seen it was basically destroyed, I got dressed and sat there worried asking all kinds of questions. His answer was negative for everything that he had been recently tested. (Negative result). The following week I tested full panel. My result was negative. The next week (2 weeks from exposure) I noticed a terrible burning in my vagina. Went back to he MD it was a yeast infection   (gynozole) was givin. In the 3 rd week I developed thrush which hasn't left yet and I am 75 days from exposure. I have these weird headaches that won't subside. (From day 60 to present). On day 68 I did a finger prick test with instant result of negative. I have an appointment for the 13 week PE to get a confirmed answer.

But my question is if 60 days looks negative why do I have thrush/headache? Which is not normal for me. Never had thrush. Am I wrong to worry?

Please help... I am a wife (another discussion in another forum) & a mother. How do I protect them from me. Plus I can't avoid my husband for much longer, he is getting bitchy due to lack of sex... There is no way I can tell him I would rather kill myself if I am positive!

Thanks for your replies!

The thrush is in my mouth only the vagina has cleared. I have done the oral nystatin and fluconazole tabs. It will not go away.. I get panic attacks very often!! I don't want to touch my husband. I think it's safer that way he can be here to take care of the kids. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:22:15 am »
Lost,

Has this "oral thrush" actually been diagnosed by a doctor? And by diagnosed, I don't mean just by looking, I mean by taking a swab to have tests run on it. If Nystatin didn't do anything for it, it probably isn't thrush. Most people get a white coating on their tongue at some point in their lives, particularly smokers and/or if you eat/drink a lot of dairy products.

Also, if what is on your tongue doesn't hurt like hell, it probably isn't thrush. Every single time I've had oral thrush, hot food, spicy food, carbonated beverages, alcoholic beverages (just to name a few things) hurt to put on your tongue. And I mean HURT.

And by the way, I hope you realise that suggesting you'd be better off dead than to have to face up to hiv is very demeaning to those of us who live - thrive, even - with hiv every day of our lives.

You are extremely unlikely to go on to test hiv positive following your negative results so far. Whatever is going on in your mouth has nothing to do with hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.